News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

America in the 70s

Started by Syt, July 22, 2013, 02:52:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2013/07/america-in-the-1970s-new-york-city/100557/

QuoteToday marks the start of Documerica Week on In Focus -- a new photo essay each day, featuring regions of the U.S. covered by the photographers of the Documerica Project in the early 1970s. The Documerica Project was put together by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency in 1971, with a primary goal of documenting adverse effects of modern life on the environment, but photographers were also encouraged to record the daily life of ordinary people, capturing a broad snapshot of America. Today's subject is New York City, an area covered by many photographers, showing some of the urban decay and congestion that helped prompt environmental legislation, as well as glimpses of New Yorkers at work and play. Stay tuned for part 2 of Documerica Week tomorrow, when we travel southwest.

Same spot in Streetview: https://maps.google.com/?ll=40.703115,-73.989589&spn=0.002408,0.005678&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=40.703011,-73.989595&panoid=J191IJNb4vyd2UiuiLdjVw&cbp=12,7.81,,0,2.47

(In Streetview: https://maps.google.com/?ll=40.72186,-74.005387&spn=0.010205,0.022713&t=m&z=17&layer=c&cbll=40.721759,-74.005249&panoid=JH9rooki9mCaX6_-YrXRfA&cbp=12,118,,0,-1.62 )

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

MadImmortalMan

They're all so thin.   :Embarrass:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

DGuller

KRonn or gumbler, did these cars really look cool back then, or did they always give off this "piece of sloppy shit" vibe?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Savonarola

Quote from: Syt on July 22, 2013, 02:52:09 PM

Is that a young Daryl McDaniels? :unsure:

(I can't tell if those are Adidas sneakers, that would be the only way to be sure.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Syt

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 22, 2013, 02:54:18 PM

It's because of the drugs everyone took at the time.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

sbr

The public phone booth one is great, what a flashback.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ideologue

God, I know.

America's obesity epidemic is ruining my life. :(
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Darth Wagtaros

And the skirts so long.

NYC was a shit hole then and is a shit hole now.
PDH!

DGuller

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 22, 2013, 04:39:35 PM
:yes: It's a different kind of shit hole, but it's still a shit hole.  Very high cost of living for very low quality of life.

Neil

Somewhere along the line, a choice was made to make everyone well-off and comfortable.  That's the price that must be paid.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: DGuller on July 22, 2013, 04:48:13 PM
:yes: It's a different kind of shit hole, but it's still a shit hole.  Very high cost of living for very low quality of life.
Good restaurants.  BUt that's about as far as it goes.
PDH!

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

And the skirts so long.

:rolleyes:

Okay, Masshole.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.