America in the 70s

Started by Syt, July 22, 2013, 02:52:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on July 28, 2013, 06:41:41 PM
Preparing?  :huh: Looks good to go.

Cities hostes world expos in hopes of showing off/attracting talent - not in hopes of getting development aid slotted for 3rd world countries. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Darth Wagtaros

Maybe Spokane was planning a homage to Hanoi during the Rolling Thunder raids or something.
PDH!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 28, 2013, 03:12:02 PM
Not really a conspiracy theory.  Withholding gas from the market was a natural reaction to Carter's windfall profits tax, which tried to protect consumers by holding down the price of gas that was already being drilled before the Arab embargo but allowing it to rise for newly drilled oil.  Producers figured, correctly, that the windfall profits tax wouldn't last forever and they would come out ahead if they waited it out.

There's a number of problems with this theory but the biggest one was that the windfall profits tax was enacted in 1980 and the gas shortages were in 1979.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Sheilbh

The tax was also apparently only abolished in 1988, which seems to overstate its economic wrecking powers.
Let's bomb Russia!

jimmy olsen

Here's a bunch of photos of a New York neighborhood that will soon be bulldozed away. Willet's Point in Queen, an iron triangle of 255 autobody shops with only one native resident. Just broken street upon broken street of rusting tin shacks, stacks of decaying cars and car related refuse.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_eye/2013/11/15/willets_point_queens_iron_triangle_autobody_shops_new_york_city_neighorhood.html
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Well one thing I will say for slate, it is consistently terrible.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

Why you say that? What's wrong with that article?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 18, 2013, 08:10:22 AM

Garbo is much too much too kool for skool to have need any reasons for his near-universal disdain.  There's nothing wrong with that blog entry (it isn't an article, per se); I think it is interesting to see places like that, though I am much less astonished than the author that such places exist in NYC.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Wow, 255 body shops in one block?  New Yorkers must be pretty bad drivers.

mongers

Quote from: DGuller on November 18, 2013, 08:31:25 AM
Wow, 255 body shops in one block?  New Yorkers must be pretty bad drivers.

What happened was 300 entrepreneurs were in a hurry on their way to the banking district to discuss business start-ups, when they crashed; after they'd sorted themselves out, most looked around and thought "this place has a real bad driving problem, why don't I start a panel bashing shop". 

This prefigured the 1st DotCon bubble.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

Quote from: grumbler on November 18, 2013, 08:21:22 AM
Garbo is much too much too kool for skool to have need any reasons for his near-universal disdain.  There's nothing wrong with that blog entry (it isn't an article, per se); I think it is interesting to see places like that, though I am much less astonished than the author that such places exist in NYC.

I found the bit at the end about "organic" neighborhoods a bit off-putting, but the pictures were pretty cool.

I bet a large part of the reason auto repair shops tend to congregate is that their presence drives down real estate prices. The stretches of road where there's a lot of garages tend to also have more pawn shops and thrift stores than normal and they have fewer national chain sitdown restaurants or high end retail outlets.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Darth Wagtaros

I thought it was interesting.
PDH!

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 18, 2013, 08:10:22 AM

Because it doesn't really offer up much of anything. No real history, nothing about how it came about. Just a bunch of photos and text brimmed full of the writer's over-the-top surprise that it exists.

I'm also not really a fan of how it is now being cited on wikipedia.

Grey Fox

It seems you still can't accept the characteristics of modern journalism.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.