Supreme Court: Section 4 of Voting Rights Act Unconstitutional

Started by Kleves, June 25, 2013, 09:32:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on June 27, 2013, 09:00:22 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 27, 2013, 07:41:50 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 27, 2013, 07:37:35 PM
I am showing you by standing in front of you and you seeing me and me showing you a bank statement.  This has been adequate for a long time, why the change, Yi?

I know what you look like.  You don't have to show me what you look like.  Election officials dont' know what you look like.  And your bank statement doesn't tell them what you look like either.

That is not a requirement for identification.

Then why would you bring a bank statement?
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

Quote from: 11B4V on June 27, 2013, 08:00:03 PM
I am showing you by standing in front of you and you seeing me and me showing you a bank statement.  This has been adequate for a long time, why the change, Yi?
:lol:
If your bank statement doesnt have a pic on it, then it shouldnt be acceptable..

Bank statement satisfies the requirement needed for voter identification in the state of Missouri.  I never got a bank statement with my photo on it.  Is that normal?

Still, none of you have given me an answer as to why the current means of identification are no longer valid.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: 11B4V on June 27, 2013, 09:01:40 PM

I know what you look like.  You don't have to show me what you look like.  Election officials dont' know what you look like.  And your bank statement doesn't tell them what you look like either.

What I look like is not a requirement.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 27, 2013, 08:46:50 PM
Yeah, I suppose "lazy" is easier for you to type out than "spics" or "niggers".

LOLZ WHOS LAZY NOW

You are.  Sittin' on your ass all day watching the TV...
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on June 27, 2013, 09:04:40 PM
If your bank statement doesnt have a pic on it, then it shouldnt be acceptable..

Still, none of you have given me an answer as to why the current means of identification are no longer valid.

Again, to prove who you are.

QuoteBank statement satisfies the requirement needed for voter identification in the state of Missouri.  I never got a bank statement with my photo on it.  Is that normal?

Then why fret or give a shit what Texas does?

derspiess

As much as I hate to side with Raz, I'd consider a bank statement fairly legit ID.  Not as ironclad as a photo ID, but given the Patriot Act requirements for opening a bank account, it's better than something like a utility bill.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on June 27, 2013, 09:05:29 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on June 27, 2013, 09:01:40 PM

What I look like is not a requirement.

Sure it is, to prove who you are.

Razgovory

Quote from: 11B4V on June 27, 2013, 09:09:17 PM

QuoteBank statement satisfies the requirement needed for voter identification in the state of Missouri.  I never got a bank statement with my photo on it.  Is that normal?

You brought up Texas.  I simply pointed out that the criteria you showed me didn't fit me.

Are you telling me that every election from here to the beginning of our country is now suspect because nobody knew who anyone was?

CountDeMoney

Bank statements and other official mail is confirmation of your residency for the district you are polling in.

It's to make sure you're voting at the right polling place in your district according to the poll rolls, not to establish identity.

Fucking mutts.

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on June 27, 2013, 09:16:27 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on June 27, 2013, 09:09:17 PM

You brought up Texas.  I simply pointed out that the criteria you showed me didn't fit me.

Are you telling me that every election from here to the beginning of our country is now suspect because nobody knew who anyone was?

Nope, but it needs to change.

Admiral Yi

Of course not.  There is no requirement for identification.  In case you missed it, that's the subject of the thread.

DGuller

Watching the voter suppressors squirm is mildly entertaining.  Face it, we all know why they want these laws, but every attempt to defend their position just exposes them even more.

11B4V

Quote from: DGuller on June 27, 2013, 09:32:04 PM
Watching the voter suppressors squirm is mildly entertaining.  Face it, we all know why they want these laws, but every attempt to defend their position just exposes them even more.

Just as with the other sides hysterics  to defend theirs.

DGuller

Quote from: 11B4V on June 27, 2013, 09:33:38 PM
Quote from: DGuller on June 27, 2013, 09:32:04 PM

Just as with the other sides hysterics  to defend theirs.
The other side is trying to protect people from having their votes suppressed.  If there are hysterics there, it's from the dismay that in this day and age fellow American citizens can still be so shamelessly cynical, and that so many are willing to surrender this country's values for partisan gain.