Supreme Court: Section 4 of Voting Rights Act Unconstitutional

Started by Kleves, June 25, 2013, 09:32:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Siege on June 27, 2013, 04:24:36 PM
I got a question for you, Jacob.

Do you genuinely think that these illegal immigration annesty laws are not motivated by a desire to bring traditionally Democratic leaning voters into the polls?

I'm genuinely sure that a significant amount of the desire for immigration amnesty laws are motivated out of a desire to do the decent thing for people who want to work hard to achieve the American dream.

That said, I expect that there's a number of Democratic politicians who are very pleased that doing so would also bring more Democratic voters into play. This is, of course, even more true now that the GOP has doubled down on xenophobia.

That said, there's a significant bit of difference between wanting to grant more people who reside in your country the vote on one hand, and trying to restrict the ability of citizens to vote on the other hand.

Berkut

There is nothing at all wrong about trying to get more people to vote for you, even if those people are not currently valid voters - as long as the process for doing so involves making them valid voters.

That is not even remotely similar to trying to keep valid voters from being able to vote because you think they won't vote for you.

This is not a case where the reverse is the same.

One case is despicable, the other is either neutral or even potentially admirable.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

11B4V

Quote from: Siege on June 27, 2013, 04:33:41 PM
How can people live without a fukin ID?

Dude, in Israel, if you don't have an ID, you are Fucked, dude.

Amazing really. I believe the ID is free also.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Jacob

Quote from: 11B4V on June 27, 2013, 04:54:03 PM

It's almost as if your personal experiences don't reflect the reality for everyone in the US.

11B4V

Quote from: Jacob on June 27, 2013, 05:00:22 PM

It's almost as if your personal experiences don't reflect the reality for everyone in the US.

Normally people want free shit. Especially the takers or 47 percenters.  :P
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Jacob

Quote from: 11B4V on June 27, 2013, 05:07:55 PMNormally people want free shit. Especially the takers or 47 percenters.  :P

Exactly.

So perhaps it's not free, and you're failing to see where the costs are.

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 26, 2013, 02:17:40 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 26, 2013, 02:06:12 PM
But the law doesn't alter what people can do, only state governments.  And those are the same states.

Governors and members of state legislatures are people. Politicians, granted, but still people.

Yes, but their offices are not.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

It has to be free, otherwise it's a poll tax.  One of the problems has been that state employees have been ordered to conceal that it is free.  This happened in Wisconsin where you are charged money unless you specifically ask to waive the fee, and state employees at the DMV were ordered not to tell people they could waive the fee unless specifically asked.  It's a chicken shit way of trying to get around the constitution.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

11B4V

Quote from: Jacob on June 27, 2013, 05:18:01 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on June 27, 2013, 05:07:55 PMNormally people want free shit. Especially the takers or 47 percenters.  :P

Exactly.

All they have to do is walk in.

Razgovory

Quote from: 11B4V on June 27, 2013, 05:34:14 PM
Quote from: Jacob on June 27, 2013, 05:18:01 PM

Exactly.

All they have to do is walk in.

Where?

Razgovory

Quote from: Siege on June 27, 2013, 04:24:36 PM
Quote from: Jacob on June 25, 2013, 06:02:17 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 25, 2013, 05:59:33 PMThere are times when I have patience for your hysteria and times when I don't.

Two questions for you, Yi:

Do you genuinely think that there's a significant issue with voter fraud that requires action to correct in the short term?

Do you genuinely think that these voter ID laws are not motivated by a desire to keep traditionally Democratic leaning voters away from the polls?

I got a question for you, Jacob.
Do you genuinely think that these illegal immigration annesty laws are not motivated by a desire to bring traditionally Democratic leaning voters into the polls?

Serious question for you, then.  When Republicans passed amnesty laws in the 1980's what were they motivated by?

The Minsky Moment

It's a very inefficient way to get voters because the path to citizenship is so long (10+ years)
If the GOP manages to get its act together, it has plenty of time to swing those distant future voters.

So . . .
I guess it probably favors the Democrats after all.  ;)
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Jacob

11B4V

Quote from: Jacob on June 27, 2013, 06:04:39 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on June 27, 2013, 05:34:14 PMAll they have to do is walk in.

If it's that easy, why are people saying it's not?

or if they have one of these photo ID's. Oh man how crushing and hard.  :rolleyes:

The voter must present one of the seven (7) acceptable forms of identification:

Texas driver license issued by the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS)
Texas Election Identification Certificate issued by DPS
Texas personal identification card issued by DPS
Texas concealed handgun license issued by DPS
United States military identification card containing the person's photograph
United States citizenship certificate containing the person's photograph
United States passport

QuoteWho can vote in Texas?
To be eligible to register to vote in Texas, a person must be:

A United States citizen;
A resident of the Texas county in which application for registration is made;
At least 18 years old on Election Day;
Not finally convicted of a felony, or, if so convicted must have (1) fully discharged the sentence, including any term of incarceration, parole, or supervision, or completed a period of probation ordered by any court; or (2) been pardoned or otherwise released from the resulting disability to vote; and
Not determined by a final judgment of a court exercising probate jurisdiction to be (1) totally mentally incapacitated; or (2) partially mentally incapacitated without the right to vote.

Razgovory