DoJ to Snowden: Hope your 15 minutes were worth it, pal

Started by CountDeMoney, June 21, 2013, 06:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: frunk on June 24, 2013, 10:53:58 AM
If you feel strongly enough about the problem that it requires whistleblowing then you could make the problem public, but you sure as hell don't give sensitive information to the country's enemies.  That's where he failed and where he crossed the line to traitor.

Yeah, I know.  :garbon:

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 24, 2013, 10:55:50 AM
Quote from: frunk on June 24, 2013, 10:53:58 AM
If you feel strongly enough about the problem that it requires whistleblowing then you could make the problem public, but you sure as hell don't give sensitive information to the country's enemies.  That's where he failed and where he crossed the line to traitor.

Yeah, I know.  :garbon:

:huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 24, 2013, 11:01:35 AM
Quote from: garbon on June 24, 2013, 10:58:04 AM
:huh:

It's the combination of rolleyes and disaffected acknowledgement of fact.

:mellow:

At any rate, hasn't Snowden been maintaining that he has only spoken with media outlets?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Bluebook

How do you make information public without informing the nations enemies at the same time?

Bluebook

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 24, 2013, 10:30:47 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on June 24, 2013, 10:24:44 AM
This is really a question for lawyers....To what extent can you put the law on trial in a criminal case like this? For example, get a few congressmen to come testify that the program is far beyond what they believe was intended to be authorized and Snowden is a whistleblower.

Thing is, there are specific remedies and protections available for government whistleblowers within the government under the Whistleblower Protection Act and the Whistleblower Enhanced Protection Act.  He choose not to take them.  That makes him part of the Rebel Alliance and a traitor.

I am pretty sure that extremely sensitive matters of national security does not fall under those protections. At least that is how it works here. You have the right to leak information to the media, and the government are not allowed to try to find out who leaked the info. But that does not apply when the matter leaked concerns national security, and making the information public would severely hurt national security.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Bluebook on June 24, 2013, 11:11:01 AM
I am pretty sure that extremely sensitive matters of national security does not fall under those protections. At least that is how it works here. You have the right to leak information to the media, and the government are not allowed to try to find out who leaked the info. But that does not apply when the matter leaked concerns national security, and making the information public would severely hurt national security.

And that makes his claims as a "whistleblower" to alert the US public of what the government is doing even more full of shit, as well as Hong Kong's "political" interpretation of the charges.  He's a spy, and he deserves an all-inclusive trip to Federal prison for the rest of his life.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Neil on June 24, 2013, 10:17:39 AM
Why would he need a passport?  The only places he's ever going to go again are places who will shelter him because they'd like to fancy themselves as standing up to the US.

Places that spy on their citizens a lot worse than we do, you mean?  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on June 24, 2013, 11:05:49 AM
At any rate, hasn't Snowden been maintaining that he has only spoken with media outlets?

So he says.  But it's obvious by now that his integrity is blown all to shit.

Bluebook

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 24, 2013, 11:16:43 AM
And that makes his claims as a "whistleblower" to alert the US public of what the government is doing even more full of shit, as well as Hong Kong's "political" interpretation of the charges.  He's a spy, and he deserves an all-inclusive trip to Federal prison for the rest of his life.

And what is the difference between a spy and a whistleblower in your opinion?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Bluebook on June 24, 2013, 11:08:20 AM
How do you make information public without informing the nations enemies at the same time?

I can think of a number of ways.  But one way for sure is to avoid giving them four lap top computers.

garbon

Quote from: Bluebook on June 24, 2013, 11:08:20 AM

Well as far as what's been leaked to the media - have any of his revelations actually harmed national security?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on June 24, 2013, 11:20:13 AM
Well as far as what's been leaked to the media - have any of his revelations actually harmed national security?

Presumably towel head bombers will be more careful with their phone calls.

Bluebook

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 24, 2013, 11:19:38 AM

I can think of a number of ways.  But one way for sure is to avoid giving them four lap top computers.

Go on. What are the number of ways? How would you give the information Snowden leaked to the public without informing China at the same time?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Bluebook on June 24, 2013, 11:21:57 AM
Go on. What are the number of ways? How would you give the information Snowden leaked to the public without informing China at the same time?

:huh: Tell the Guardian.  Don't give your computer to the Chinese.