DoJ to Snowden: Hope your 15 minutes were worth it, pal

Started by CountDeMoney, June 21, 2013, 06:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Why would he need a passport?  The only places he's ever going to go again are places who will shelter him because they'd like to fancy themselves as standing up to the US.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

alfred russel

Quote from: Neil on June 24, 2013, 10:17:39 AM
Why would he need a passport?  The only places he's ever going to go again are places who will shelter him because they'd like to fancy themselves as standing up to the US.

This is really a question for lawyers....To what extent can you put the law on trial in a criminal case like this? For example, get a few congressmen to come testify that the program is far beyond what they believe was intended to be authorized and Snowden is a whistleblower.

I assume the ability to do that is limited, but to the extent you can, you only need to get one juror on your side to avoid a conviction.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Monoriu

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 24, 2013, 09:40:44 AM
Okay Mono.  Thought about it and seeing it as a political case is not as laughable as I had first thought. :)

Doesn't get HK off the hook for making up the bullshit excuse though.

Why?  You guys keep saying that we have zero autonomy and Beijing controls everything.  So why don't you believe this in Snowden's case?  This is a diplomatic matter, something that Beijing is responsible for under our laws. 

Tamas

Quote from: alfred russel on June 24, 2013, 10:24:44 AM
Quote from: Neil on June 24, 2013, 10:17:39 AM

This is really a question for lawyers....To what extent can you put the law on trial in a criminal case like this? For example, get a few congressmen to come testify that the program is far beyond what they believe was intended to be authorized and Snowden is a whistleblower.

I assume the ability to do that is limited, but to the extent you can, you only need to get one juror on your side to avoid a conviction.

I am sure that having learned that the government has all their phone and Internet traffic on file, congressmen feel no personal risk in taking a stand against the government

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Monoriu on June 24, 2013, 10:26:29 AM
Why?  You guys keep saying that we have zero autonomy and Beijing controls everything.  So why don't you believe this in Snowden's case?  This is a diplomatic matter, something that Beijing is responsible for under our laws.

I do believe that.  I don't believe there was some technicality that the HK authorities were seeking clarification on.  That's what I'm calling bullshit.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 24, 2013, 08:34:26 AM
Mono: how are you feeling about the independence of HK's courts right now? 

The move appears to reinforce that since it was designed to keep Snowden out of the courts.
So much for Snowden putting his faith in the HK legal system.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

Quote from: alfred russel on June 24, 2013, 10:24:44 AM

Thing is, there are specific remedies and protections available for government whistleblowers within the government under the Whistleblower Protection Act and the Whistleblower Enhanced Protection Act.  He choose not to take them.  That makes him part of the Rebel Alliance and a traitor.

Neil

Don't worry Mono.  I think everyone here believes that Beijing will do anything that it wants in relation to HK, and that anyone who argues will be sent away for reeducation.  Except possibly Jacob.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Monoriu

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 24, 2013, 10:29:48 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on June 24, 2013, 10:26:29 AM

I do believe that.  I don't believe there was some technicality that the HK authorities were seeking clarification on.  That's what I'm calling bullshit.

Oh I am sure my DoJ colleagues did write a memo to the US and made up some questions to ask :contract:

Monoriu

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 24, 2013, 10:30:30 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 24, 2013, 08:34:26 AM
Mono: how are you feeling about the independence of HK's courts right now? 

The move appears to reinforce that since it was designed to keep Snowden out of the courts.
So much for Snowden putting his faith in the HK legal system.

If he goes to the courts, it can take many years.  He is a nightmare for us.  The sooner he leaves, the better.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 24, 2013, 10:30:47 AM
Thing is, there are specific remedies and protections available for government whistleblowers within the government under the Whistleblower Protection Act and the Whistleblower Enhanced Protection Act.  He choose not to take them.  That makes him part of the Rebel Alliance and a traitor.

Those laws are designed to protect and reward people who rat out their colleagues and superiors, not those who rat out the US.

Legbiter

That makes him part of the Rebel Alliance and a traitor.

Holding him is dangerous. If word of this gets out, it could generate sympathy for the Rebellion in the Senate.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 24, 2013, 10:36:23 AM

Those laws are designed to protect and reward people who rat out their colleagues and superiors, not those who rat out the US.

Yes, but if he has a problem with management--and his public statements reflect he does, particularly with the Obama Administration--then he should've taken it up with them internally, not zipping off with thumb drives and laptops.

frunk

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 24, 2013, 10:45:14 AM

Yes, but if he has a problem with management--and his public statements reflect he does, particularly with the Obama Administration--then he should've taken it up with them internally, not zipping off with thumb drives and laptops.

If you feel strongly enough about the problem that it requires whistleblowing then you could make the problem public, but you sure as hell don't give sensitive information to the country's enemies.  That's where he failed and where he crossed the line to traitor.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: frunk on June 24, 2013, 10:53:58 AM
If you feel strongly enough about the problem that it requires whistleblowing then you could make the problem public, but you sure as hell don't give sensitive information to the country's enemies.  That's where he failed and where he crossed the line to traitor.

Absolutely.  Not a whole lot of ambiguity on that part.