DoJ to Snowden: Hope your 15 minutes were worth it, pal

Started by CountDeMoney, June 21, 2013, 06:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Bluebook

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 24, 2013, 02:30:39 PM
Quote from: Bluebook on June 24, 2013, 02:16:20 PM
He did that. He went to Washington Post first. Only when they did not break the news the day they said they would did he go to the Guardian.

I see.  He wanted instant gratification and so went with the media outlet who was less careful with the story.  Isnt that the point!

I think its more that he had crossed the point of no return already. Knowing that the NSA were probably on his tail it was a matter of actually getting the news out or not. Also, the publication of the leaks is probably his best life- insurance.

garbon

Quote from: Bluebook on June 24, 2013, 02:56:19 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 24, 2013, 02:30:39 PM
Quote from: Bluebook on June 24, 2013, 02:16:20 PM
He did that. He went to Washington Post first. Only when they did not break the news the day they said they would did he go to the Guardian.

I see.  He wanted instant gratification and so went with the media outlet who was less careful with the story.  Isnt that the point!

I think its more that he had crossed the point of no return already. Knowing that the NSA were probably on his tail it was a matter of actually getting the news out or not. Also, the publication of the leaks is probably his best life- insurance.

The US was going to kill him?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Bluebook

Quote from: garbon on June 24, 2013, 03:02:30 PM

No, Im sure the US has never killed anyone percieved to be a threat to national security.

garbon

Quote from: Bluebook on June 24, 2013, 03:12:06 PM

No, Im sure the US has never killed anyone percieved to be a threat to national security.

Wait a second

*Gets out his :tinfoil:*

Okay, I'm now ready for this conversation. Do continue.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

I see.  Snowden was forced to give 4 lap tops to the Chinese because the US media didnt publish fast enough.

Admiral Yi

That's how you came to the conclusion that the US would have killed Snowden if given the chance?  :huh:

I'm somewhat sympathetic to the rest of your argument; it's not immediately clear to me what a person in his position should do if they think that the NSA program has overstepped the boundaries of the legislation or the legislation is not in accordance with the wishes of the public or is just morally wrong. 

But frankly this seems a little nutty.

Bluebook

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 24, 2013, 03:16:16 PM
I see.  Snowden was forced to give 4 lap tops to the Chinese because the US media didnt publish fast enough.

Again with the 4 laptops? What is the source for that claim?

Bluebook

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 24, 2013, 03:16:44 PM

That's how you came to the conclusion that the US would have killed Snowden if given the chance?  :huh:

I personally havent come to any conclusion at all. The idea that Snowden might be killed by a US intelligence agency if they thought they could prevent the leak that way came from Snowden himself. 

The Brain

The US wouldn't kill to protect vital information? Sounds like treason.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Bluebook on June 24, 2013, 03:19:31 PM
I personally havent come to any conclusion at all.

:scratches head:

Then what exactly did you mean by this post:

QuoteNo, Im sure the US has never killed anyone percieved to be a threat to national security.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on June 24, 2013, 03:14:44 PM

Wait a second

Yeah, I tried to keep an open mind on Snowden until he started saying that he thought the US would try to kill him.  That's when it started to get weird(er).
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 24, 2013, 03:24:33 PM
Quote from: Bluebook on June 24, 2013, 03:19:31 PM
I personally havent come to any conclusion at all.

:scratches head:

Then what exactly did you mean by this post:

QuoteNo, Im sure the US has never killed anyone percieved to be a threat to national security.

It's a non sequitur.  It's not suppose to make sense.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on June 24, 2013, 04:35:45 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 24, 2013, 03:14:44 PM

Wait a second

Yeah, I tried to keep an open mind on Snowden until he started saying that he thought the US would try to kill him.  That's when it started to get weird(er).

Yeah what's been released so far is hardly worth of an assassination! Though maybe something on one of those laptops...

Iormlund

Quote from: frunk on June 24, 2013, 11:59:44 AM
Quote from: Bluebook on June 24, 2013, 11:40:16 AM

That doesnt really answer the question, since leaking and what you do after that are two different things

The problem isn't just what he has said publicly, but also what he hasn't said but knows, and what information he has on his person (including laptops).  By running he's declared to the world that he doesn't plan to go back to the US and his passport is worthless.  That puts him at the mercy of the government of wherever he is.

And by staying home he would have been at the mercy of the US government. Running seems a much more sensible strategy.