Women as Army Rangers and Navy Seals by 2016

Started by jimmy olsen, June 18, 2013, 01:28:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

A decent quarterback* at collegiate/pro level is pretty much required to have a freakishly strong arm. Sure the mental stuff is important too, but without the arm they're not gonna have much success.

*Not counting the wildcat on every play guys you occasionally see in college
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

merithyn

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 21, 2013, 10:59:23 AM
A decent quarterback* at collegiate/pro level is pretty much required to have a freakishly strong arm. Sure the mental stuff is important too, but without the arm they're not gonna have much success.

*Not counting the wildcat on every play guys you occasionally see in college

:mellow:

I know. I'm not understanding your point. I was merely saying that to be a quarterback it takes more than just a strong arm. The strong arm is important, but the ability to read plays, learn plays, lead the team, and pull things together when they're starting to unravel are also important aspects of the role.

But yes, one still has to get the ball down the field, which is the number one criteria. What are you arguing?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Eddie Teach

I'm saying the arm is important enough that a woman's chance of becoming an NFL quarterback is in the same ballpark as a woman's chance of winning a gold in men's shot put. Is your position that you doubt any woman could qualify for the Special Forces(even when you factor in the non-physical bits)? It didn't sound like it, which is why I found the comparison to quarterbacking odd.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

merithyn

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 21, 2013, 11:13:07 AM
I'm saying the arm is important enough that a woman's chance of becoming an NFL quarterback is in the same ballpark as a woman's chance of winning a gold in men's shot put. Is your position that you doubt any woman could qualify for the Special Forces(even when you factor in the non-physical bits)? It didn't sound like it, which is why I found the comparison to quarterbacking odd.

My point was that there is rarely only the physical component to a job, even an NFL quarterback.

merithyn

Quote from: 11B4V on June 21, 2013, 11:15:03 AM
Here's a good article.

http://sofrep.com/8339/female-cst-special-forces-enabler-speaks/

I only supplied the link, as it also has pics in it.

I think she's dead on. Brilliant article.

derspiess

That female kicker showed us what a waste of time it is to even talk about women in football.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on June 21, 2013, 11:45:35 AM
That female kicker showed us what a waste of time it is to even talk about women in football.

:lol:

And Joey Harrington showed us what a waste of time it is to even talk about men as quarterbacks. :P

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on June 21, 2013, 11:45:35 AM

I thought it showed us what a waste of time it is to even talk about the Colorado Buffaloes in football.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on June 21, 2013, 11:53:47 AM
I thought it showed us what a waste of time it is to even talk about the Colorado Buffaloes in football.

Well, sure. NCAA, but not SEC...

Berkut

Quote from: merithyn on June 21, 2013, 11:18:15 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 21, 2013, 11:13:07 AM

My point was that there is rarely only the physical component to a job, even an NFL quarterback.

My point is that physical ability is rarely the only component of a job, but is often a primary component of a job such that the odds of any physically relatively disadvantaged set of humans trying to get one of those jobs when competing for a finite number of spots against a set of humans who are as a whole far above the mean in physical capability is incredibly unlikely.

In other words, no matter how smart, incredible a leader, and great at reading defense some woman is, there is no chance she is ever going to be able to out-compete the men who are competing for a spot on an NFL roster.

I suspect the same is almost as true for something like a Navy Seal, where even amazingly fit men often cannot meet the physical requirements necessary to make it through. Probably not quite as extreme, but pretty close.

Enough so, in any case, that if some women do make it through, I suspect it will only be because they were helped, either overtly through a stated change in the selection standards, or covertly.

Other SF jobs may be different - Green Beret's, for example, may have very different physical needs and selection requirements than Navy Seals.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

merithyn

Quote from: Berkut on June 21, 2013, 12:38:23 PM
My point is that physical ability is rarely the only component of a job, but is often a primary component of a job such that the odds of any physically relatively disadvantaged set of humans trying to get one of those jobs when competing for a finite number of spots against a set of humans who are as a whole far above the mean in physical capability is incredibly unlikely.

In other words, no matter how smart, incredible a leader, and great at reading defense some woman is, there is no chance she is ever going to be able to out-compete the men who are competing for a spot on an NFL roster.

:mellow:

I agree.

QuoteI suspect the same is almost as true for something like a Navy Seal, where even amazingly fit men often cannot meet the physical requirements necessary to make it through. Probably not quite as extreme, but pretty close.

Enough so, in any case, that if some women do make it through, I suspect it will only be because they were helped, either overtly through a stated change in the selection standards, or covertly.

Other SF jobs may be different - Green Beret's, for example, may have very different physical needs and selection requirements than Navy Seals.

I'm not sure what you expect me to say here. I hope that you are incorrect, and that if a woman makes the squad, that she earned it. I don't think anyone should be "helped" into any position, but especially one where lives are endangered.

That being said, I would hope that the stated requirements for the job are, indeed, requirements for the job, and not meant as a weeding mechanism simply to keep women from getting it.

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Jacob

Quote from: 11B4V on June 21, 2013, 11:15:03 AM
Here's a good article.

http://sofrep.com/8339/female-cst-special-forces-enabler-speaks/

I only supplied the link, as it also has pics in it.

Interesting article.

One question for you - what's a Special Forces Enabler?

It sounds like she's not Special Forces, but worked with them directly...?

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on June 21, 2013, 10:29:56 AM
So since you coached baseball you're an authority on using girls as QB in youth football teams?

Yes that was exaclty my point