Women as Army Rangers and Navy Seals by 2016

Started by jimmy olsen, June 18, 2013, 01:28:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Quote from: merithyn on June 20, 2013, 10:49:59 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on June 20, 2013, 10:48:51 PM
Quote from: merithyn on June 20, 2013, 10:30:25 PM
If the job requires certain physical standards, then it requires certain physical standards. Whether you're male or female should be irrelevant.

But for that to work, the standards have to be based on the job requirements. To date that seems to be the limitation in the US.

It's not irrelevent.

I know, and that has to change.

Why?
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Berkut

But for that to work, the standards have to be based on the job requirements.

What about when the issue is not about meeting standard, but about choosing the best person to do a job, even if they both meet the basic standards?

Lets say soldier A and soldier B both want to be a Green Beret, and after going through training and such, they are exactly equal in ability in all things. But there is only one spot.

Soldier A is stronger and faster than soldier B. Soldier B is plenty strong and fast mind you, but not as strong and fast as A. In fact, in some other years, if there were two spots open, both would be perfectly capable of being selected. But the job of Green Beret (or Navy Seal or whatever) is in fact very influenced by physical condition, so all things being equal, it is the case that soldier A will likely be a superior soldier for this job than soldier B.

Is it ok if we pick A over B, even if A is a man and B is a woman, and B is incredibly fit for a woman, say top 1% of all women in the military?

Does A get the job?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on June 20, 2013, 11:01:10 PM

What about when the issue is not about meeting standard, but about choosing the best person to do a job, even if they both meet the basic standards?

Lets say soldier A and soldier B both want to be a Green Beret, and after going through training and such, they are exactly equal in ability in all things. But there is only one spot.

Soldier A is stronger and faster than soldier B. Soldier B is plenty strong and fast mind you, but not as strong and fast as A. In fact, in some other years, if there were two spots open, both would be perfectly capable of being selected. But the job of Green Beret (or Navy Seal or whatever) is in fact very influenced by physical condition, so all things being equal, it is the case that soldier A will likely be a superior soldier for this job than soldier B.

Is it ok if we pick A over B, even if A is a man and B is a woman, and B is incredibly fit for a woman, say top 1% of all women in the military?

Does A get the job?

It does sort of beg the question of whether or not physical strength is the best and only means of measuring who would be the best green beret.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Berkut

Quote from: Barrister on June 21, 2013, 12:30:16 AM

Does A get the job?

It does sort of beg the question of whether or not physical strength is the best and only means of measuring who would be the best green beret.

Only if you very carefully do not read my post.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

11B4V

Candidate A should be picked. Whether male orfemale would be irrelevant.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on June 21, 2013, 12:49:45 AM

Does A get the job?

I very, very carefully read your post, and still ask the same question.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Quote from: Barrister on June 21, 2013, 01:33:39 AM
Quote from: Berkut on June 21, 2013, 12:49:45 AM

Does A get the job?

I very, very carefully read your post, and still ask the same question.

Obviously the answer to your question is no, but the question doesn't take us forward does it?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

11B4V

Berkut says,

QuoteLets say soldier A and soldier B both want to be a Green Beret, and after going through training and such, they are exactly equal in ability in all things. But there is only one spot.

I read that as everything thing else is equal between soldier a and b except the physical aspect.

So, soldier A is selected.

Eddie Teach

So what if Soldier A can do 10 more pushups, but Soldier B scores 5 points higher on an IQ test? What if Soldier C beats them both but has high cholesterol? These are pressing questions indeed.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Eddie Teach

11B4V

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive