Women as Army Rangers and Navy Seals by 2016

Started by jimmy olsen, June 18, 2013, 01:28:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Alcibiades

Quote from: 11B4V on November 22, 2013, 11:50:30 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 22, 2013, 03:27:48 AM
Three women just passed the Marine Infantry Training course. Given the wash out rate seems like they've kept up their standards.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/human_nature/2013/11/women_are_passing_the_marine_infantry_training_course_get_over_it.html

QuoteIn September, 114 women graduated from the Marine boot camp at Parris Island, S.C. At every stage, their numbers dwindled. Forty-two passed the physical requirements for training. Nineteen volunteered to do it. Fifteen followed through. Seven made it through the first month. Four completed the course. Three graduated.

Awesome attrition rate they got there. Something they should be proud of. Now those three will realize that the real work has just begun. My bet is none will last their entire enlistment as a grunt.

They're still not allowed in infantry units, so they're going on to a different mos training program amusingly enough.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

11B4V

U.S. Marines WEAKEN fitness requirement for women, won't make them do three pull-upsJust three out of 15 female recruits managed to graduate from the Marine Corps' infantry training program in November
55 per cent of women – including active Marines – can't do three pull-ups, while just 1 per cent of men fail the exam

The new standard was ordered by the service's commandants in late 2012
Now the Marines say they're scrapping the requirement for now, allowing women to pass their physical fitness tests without the new challenge
Existing standards allow female Marines and recruits to pass muster by hanging for 70 seconds from a pull-up bar with bent elbows
May women in the Corps insist they're meeting the new minimum requirement
Female Marines will be eligible for full war-zone combat duty in 2016

By David Martosko, U.s. Political Editor
PUBLISHED: 18:09 EST, 27 December 2013 | UPDATED: 13:20 EST, 28 December 2013

The U.S. Marine Corps has quietly walked back a 2012 directive from the service's highest-ranking officer that would have rejected female recruits and officer candidates who can't perform three chin-ups as part of their physical fitness training.
The reason – 55 per cent of the women attempting the test are failing. Just one per cent of men can't complete the exercise.
'Women aren't able to make the minimum standard of three pull-ups,' Marine spokesman Capt. Eric Flanagan told reporters on Friday.
The startling admission, and the military's course-correction, came after just three out of 15 females successfully graduated from the Marine Corps' enlisted infantry training course in November.

The new rule, set to go into effect on January 1, would have changed the previous requirement – in place for more than a decade – that requires female Marines to execute a 'flexed arm hang', holding on to a pull-up bar with their elbows bent for 70 seconds.
2013 was to be a 'phase one' transitional year, according to a November 2012 directive from Marine Corps commandant Gen. James Amos, with females having a choice of which test to attempt.
'Phase two will commence on 1 January 2014,' Amos had ordered. 'Pull-ups will replace the FAH [flexed arm hang] portion of the PFT [physical fitness test] ... To pass the pull-up portion of this event, females will be required to execute at least three (3) pull-ups.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2530172/Women-U-S-Marines-SPARED-new-physical-fitness-requirement-wont-three-pull-ups-pass-muster.html
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Eddie Teach

I am the 1%.

Shit, those were pretty hard 100 pounds ago.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Berkut

A pull up is a almost uniquely discriminatory physical test for women. It would be hard to come up with too many other simple exercises more well designed to select against women, since it is almost totally a exercise of pure upper body strength as a ratio of mass, which women will almost never be able to do.

So the question is how important is relative upper body strength to an infantryman?

Answer: I suspect the answer is that it is pretty god damn important. Probably not as important as physical endurance, but a close second.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Berkut on December 29, 2013, 09:46:31 PM
A pull up is a almost uniquely discriminatory physical test for women. It would be hard to come up with too many other simple exercises more well designed to select against women, since it is almost totally a exercise of pure upper body strength as a ratio of mass, which women will almost never be able to do.

So the question is how important is relative upper body strength to an infantryperson?

FYP.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Legbiter

3 pullups is too much?

I'm sure they'll make excellent camp followers.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

alfred russel

Quote from: Legbiter on December 30, 2013, 09:56:12 PM
3 pullups is too much?

I'm sure they'll make excellent camp followers.

Can I still think of the marines as bad ass knowing they can only do 3 pull ups?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014