Women as Army Rangers and Navy Seals by 2016

Started by jimmy olsen, June 18, 2013, 01:28:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 24, 2013, 06:55:25 PM
Quote from: Siege on June 24, 2013, 02:09:12 PM
3- Security element. These are the guys locking out the outside, covering enemy avenues of approach, in case the enemy decides to reinforce an ongoing engagement.

What if there is an ambush, or the enemy reinforces from an unexpected direction in force.
Those people could be in a nasty situation.

Yeah, the security element gets to shoot from time to time, but is rare.
That's why infantrymen always want to be with the assault element.
That's where shit goes down.

By the way, she mentions both mounted and dismounted missions.
For what I've seen, SF always go dismounted.
They fly and do an air insertion, then walk to the OBJ.

They never right in vehicles because of the IEDs.
The enemy uses IEDs as an early warning system. When they go off they know we are in the area moving to contact.
That's why SF always fly, so they have and maintain the element of surprise.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

jimmy olsen

Three women just passed the Marine Infantry Training course. Given the wash out rate seems like they've kept up their standards.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/human_nature/2013/11/women_are_passing_the_marine_infantry_training_course_get_over_it.html

QuoteIn September, 114 women graduated from the Marine boot camp at Parris Island, S.C. At every stage, their numbers dwindled. Forty-two passed the physical requirements for training. Nineteen volunteered to do it. Fifteen followed through. Seven made it through the first month. Four completed the course. Three graduated.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 22, 2013, 03:27:48 AM
Three women just passed the Marine Infantry Training course. Given the wash out rate seems like they've kept up their standards.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/human_nature/2013/11/women_are_passing_the_marine_infantry_training_course_get_over_it.html

QuoteIn September, 114 women graduated from the Marine boot camp at Parris Island, S.C. At every stage, their numbers dwindled. Forty-two passed the physical requirements for training. Nineteen volunteered to do it. Fifteen followed through. Seven made it through the first month. Four completed the course. Three graduated.

Awesome attrition rate they got there. Something they should be proud of. Now those three will realize that the real work has just begun. My bet is none will last their entire enlistment as a grunt.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 22, 2013, 03:27:48 AM

QuoteThe next, more strenuous challenge is the Marine Infantry Officer Course. So far, 10 women have attempted it. Only one passed the hardest part, the Combat Endurance Test, and a stress fracture later forced her out.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Minsky Moment

What is required for graduation other than completing the course?  I.e. how did the numbers go 4-->3?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 22, 2013, 02:17:43 PM
What is required for graduation other than completing the course?  I.e. how did the numbers go 4-->3?

Maybe they couldn't find the matriculation papers, which were in a locked filling cabinet in a disused toilet, at the end of darken corridor reached by long flight of unlit stairs* ?

* Yes it's an incorrect quote, but can't be arse to google it into shape, all for the sake of a rather weak internet 'joke'.   :rolleyes:

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

mongers, did you used to take a lot of psychedelic drugs?  :hmm:

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Queequeg

Quote from: derspiess on November 22, 2013, 02:26:22 PM
I bet one got pregnant.
Wouldn't your period stop under the stress and constant physical exhaustion? 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Kleves

Quote from: Queequeg on November 23, 2013, 01:30:16 AM
Wouldn't your period stop under the stress and constant physical exhaustion?
That's what Todd Akin thought.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.