Women as Army Rangers and Navy Seals by 2016

Started by jimmy olsen, June 18, 2013, 01:28:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: merithyn on June 21, 2013, 09:47:35 PM
Proof that grumbler can actually argue with himself.

We didn't need proof of that.  But this is proof that I can, indeed, argue.  Unlike you, I don't have to make up positions for my opponents in order to win; I just argue against what they actually say.

But that requires reading, analytic, and writing skills.  I'd grant you one of three; you generally can write.  You spend a lot of time apologizing for "saying it poorly," but we all know that's just a weasel for "I want to pretend I didn't mean what I said, 'cause that was really stupid, now that I think about it."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

merithyn

Quote from: grumbler on June 22, 2013, 08:30:21 AM
Quote from: merithyn on June 21, 2013, 09:47:35 PM
Proof that grumbler can actually argue with himself.

We didn't need proof of that.  But this is proof that I can, indeed, argue.  Unlike you, I don't have to make up positions for my opponents in order to win; I just argue against what they actually say.

But that requires reading, analytic, and writing skills.  I'd grant you one of three; you generally can write.  You spend a lot of time apologizing for "saying it poorly," but we all know that's just a weasel for "I want to pretend I didn't mean what I said, 'cause that was really stupid, now that I think about it."

Just curious, grumbler. What exactly do you think I'm arguing for in this thread?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Eddie Teach

Are you arguing for anything in particular?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

merithyn

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 22, 2013, 10:03:52 AM
Are you arguing for anything in particular?

Only that the standards be job-specific rather than gender-specific, and that anyone be allowed to try to meet those standards.

Eddie Teach

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 22, 2013, 10:18:23 AM
That doesn't sound very controversial.

Clearly it is though. A post about how women would be allowed to try out for SF ran quickly to how we will be weakening SF units and lowering standards for the publicity to get women in.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Valmy

Quote from: Legbiter on June 21, 2013, 10:28:38 PM
Er, SF standards tend to exclude, like, 99% of men.

I take it you did not bother to read the thread?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Eddie Teach

The Iranians were showing shocking amounts of skin.

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on June 23, 2013, 11:44:20 PM
Quote from: Legbiter on June 21, 2013, 10:28:38 PM
Er, SF standards tend to exclude, like, 99% of men.

I take it you did not bother to read the thread?

It's Legbiter. You know he didn't, anymore than grumbler did.

merithyn

I'm sorry, but there's no freaking way this woman is actually real military. Look at those nails. She wouldn't even be able to type of a requisition, much less do anything else.  :rolleyes:

Eddie Teach

There are jobs she could do. Like looking pretty for photojournalists.

PDH

I don't know about the rest of you, but I was arguing that female soldiers with nice jub-jubs should be assigned to my unit.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM