News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Tyr on December 09, 2019, 06:50:52 PM
It is a thought though. What shows/films are truly depressing. There's definitely some though my memory is failing me.

Nineteen Eighty-Four (the 1984 version).  I'm not sure it is possible to get more depressing than that.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

I didn't find Bojack too depressing even though I watched some past series in less than great times. I guess it depends exactly what problems you have. To me his issues were very far removed from anything I've dealt with.
It is a thought though. What shows/films are truly depressing. There's definitely some though my memory is failing me.

Valhalla Rising. Braveheart. Pearl Harbor.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Grave of the Fireflies was quite depressing when I watched it.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Films to make you bawl your eyes out- The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. Schindler's List. Old Yeller.

Films that just leave you empty- Antichrist. Requiem for a Dream.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Synechdoque New York
L'Eclisse
Nearly everything Bergman laid his hands on. I'd go with Shame.

These are more in the "life is pointless" sort.

Then Lars Von Trier actively sets out to hurt you with every film he makes, and he's pretty damn good at it.

Sheilbh

Not sure for depressing. I can think of a few that are sort of devastating.
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Try (again ?) Threads (1984).

Tamas

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 10, 2019, 07:10:04 AM
Threads (1984)

OMG yes. It made me pull a fahdiz: I have not played Defcon since watching it.

Malthus

The Russian film Come and See was really brutal and depressing.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

dps

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Brain

The L Word is back! :w00t:

I hope it's not depressing. :(
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

dps