Was the American Civil War inevitible?

Started by jimmy olsen, October 30, 2014, 01:21:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Assuming no changes earlier than 1815, was the American Civil War inevitable?

Yes
14 (58.3%)
No
10 (41.7%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tonitrus

Quote from: Razgovory on October 31, 2014, 01:58:43 PM
I have always heard that technology had jumped ahead of tactics in the civil war, but were casualties rates higher then in the Napoleonic wars?  I think something that is often overlooked is that nobody on either side of the war had commanded armies of that size.  Before the war Grant and McClellan were captains.  Lee and Bragg were colonels.  Jackson was a major.  A lot of commanders on both sides had never served in the military.

I was going to go with a different take on that point.  That point is made often, but what would have been the appropriate tactics to use at that time (even, say, against someone using the historical tactics used)?  And how effective would they be in achieving the strategic objectives?

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on October 31, 2014, 01:54:22 PM
Quote from: viper37 on October 31, 2014, 12:49:38 PM
Quote from: KRonn on October 31, 2014, 10:19:07 AM
I always figured that the nature of the Civil War, outdated tactics and newer weapons, ensured a heavier casualty toll in the ACW, rather than the Generals being overly harsh about casualties. 
And strangely, we saw more of the same in WW1.  It's as if the higher officers still tought themselves in the Napoleonic era.

Military thinkers studying the American Civil War and the Franco Prussian War came to the very opposite conclusions one might think they would.  That the attack and initiative was paramount.  They would point out that as soon as the South stopped being aggressive they lost the war.

There is a difference between attacking and using maneuver. The whole story of the ACW is that the attacker loses in any set - piece battle unless there are some weird circumstances (e.g. battle of the clouds ft. donalson etc.). Aggressive maneuver was all about arranging the battle so you could fight defensively. Grant's insight was that breaking and running after a battle was only convention and he didn't have to do so after losing.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tonitrus

PDH

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 31, 2014, 05:25:50 PM
I liked John Bell Hood high on opium.

Nothing like laudanum to help a battle plan.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 31, 2014, 02:38:39 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 31, 2014, 02:14:20 PM
But for different reasons.  In the Napoleonic Wars there was a ton of hand-to-hand combat and pursuit losses which were pretty rare in the American Civil War and World War I.  At least that is my impression.

I've read that the instances of bayonets actually crossing were very minimal, if not nonexistant during the Napoleonic wars.

While probably true it was probably exponentially more common than in the American Civil War.  But I was more referring to the fact that Napoleonic Armies had thousands and thousands of guys who wore armor and carried lances and swords and these guys were often decisive in a battle.  Hand to hand combat is pretty deadly, generally more killed than injured.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on October 31, 2014, 01:54:22 PM
Quote from: viper37 on October 31, 2014, 12:49:38 PM
Quote from: KRonn on October 31, 2014, 10:19:07 AM
I always figured that the nature of the Civil War, outdated tactics and newer weapons, ensured a heavier casualty toll in the ACW, rather than the Generals being overly harsh about casualties. 
And strangely, we saw more of the same in WW1.  It's as if the higher officers still tought themselves in the Napoleonic era.

Military thinkers studying the American Civil War and the Franco Prussian War came to the very opposite conclusions one might think they would.  That the attack and initiative was paramount.  They would point out that as soon as the South stopped being aggressive they lost the war.
I was under the impression that the results of the Franco-Prussian War washed away the lessons of the American Civil War. They decided that the Americans even at their best had been amateurs and that professional European soldiers could win quickly via offensive actions.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

dps

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 31, 2014, 06:23:21 PM
I have always heard that technology had jumped ahead of tactics in the civil war, but were casualties rates higher then in the Napoleonic wars?  I think something that is often overlooked is that nobody on either side of the war had commanded armies of that size.  Before the war Grant and McClellan were captains.  Lee and Bragg were colonels.  Jackson was a major.  A lot of commanders on both sides had never served in the military.

I was going to go with a different take on that point.  That point is made often, but what would have been the appropriate tactics to use at that time (even, say, against someone using the historical tactics used)?  And how effective would they be in achieving the strategic objectives?

Part of the problem wasn't simply that technology had gotten ahead of tactics, but that communications technology hadn't kept up with firearms technology.  What you need to do to counter increases in firepower is to increase the dispersion of your forces.  But you still need to be able to exercise command and control, and that means that you really can't disperse your troops enough to use modern infantry tactics unless without the widespread availability of radios.

jimmy olsen

IIRC Sherman had the lowest percentage of casualties for a general that lead an army for an extended period. Given that he was fighting a defensive minded general in Johnston, that makes it more impressive. What did he do that others didn't?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

PDH

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 31, 2014, 09:42:28 PM
IIRC Sherman had the lowest percentage of casualties for a general that lead an army for an extended period. Given that he was fighting a defensive minded general in Johnston, that makes it more impressive. What did he do that others didn't?

He used maneuver to get into position and flexibility when he had taken his objective.  When he faced a drug addict at Atlanta, he used defensive tactics.  When he faced the wide open confederacy he used rape and pillage tactics to show that the Confederacy was a sham and that they could have been defeated in 1862.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Tonitrus

Quote from: dps on October 31, 2014, 09:36:24 PM

Part of the problem wasn't simply that technology had gotten ahead of tactics, but that communications technology hadn't kept up with firearms technology.  What you need to do to counter increases in firepower is to increase the dispersion of your forces.  But you still need to be able to exercise command and control, and that means that you really can't disperse your troops enough to use modern infantry tactics unless without the widespread availability of radios.

So you're saying there wasn't any real practical alternative at the time, and the tactics used were inevitable, even if regrettable?

I tend to agree...you could disperse you mean, and not get involved in the massed formation slugfests, but it would still be hard to counter those opposing formations, much less be able to take and hold strategic objectives without effective communication/coordination.

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 31, 2014, 09:30:32 PMI was under the impression that the results of the Franco-Prussian War washed away the lessons of the American Civil War. They decided that the Americans even at their best had been amateurs and that professional European soldiers could win quickly via offensive actions.

Well the Germans certainly felt that way.  Not sure that was the universal view.  To be fair it was not like Americans learned a whole lot from the American Civil War either.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: dps on October 31, 2014, 09:36:24 PM

I question if firepower had really increased so much.  For the most part men were using muzzle-loading rifles.  Sure they had better range, but I don't think they were used at extreme ranges very often and actual target practice was uncommon.  Their rate of fire wasn't much better then the older smooth-bore musket so I don't know if the firepower was substantially greater.  I think to route any enemy you still needed massed fire.  I think you also needed massed fire to be able to repulse an enemy charge.  The repeating rifles are different.  They had sufficient firepower to break an charge of massed infantry when fighting as skirmishers.  This would be how soldiers would fight in the future. Unfortunately repeating rifles were not in widespread use.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tonitrus

Indeed.  I wonder how practical, and effective it could have been for the Union Army to push using the Henry rifle as the primary weapon for the frontline soldier.