News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Was the American Civil War inevitible?

Started by jimmy olsen, October 30, 2014, 01:21:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Assuming no changes earlier than 1815, was the American Civil War inevitable?

Yes
14 (58.3%)
No
10 (41.7%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 01, 2014, 12:47:48 PM
They didn't fight the same way.  The cavalry charge disappeared, as did the square and the column.

The cavalry charge remained.  It was seen during the civil war, but wasn't common.  The US didn't have tradition of heavy cavalry but men with lances and armor were maintained by European powers till WWI.  Column formation was still used, though squares were not since the threat of lancers was low.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Berkut

Column formation became a strictly movement formation. It was no longer used as a combat formation. That alone is a significant change. And of course there were more.

Engagement ranges were often not that much longer, but that is because finding terrain where you could not be engaged at rifle range became a necessity, so the importance of terrain became that much more critical.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

PDH

The closest thing to a columnar attack was Hancock at the Mule Shoe.  15,000 men in a huge column was such a clusterfuck that it was not a great idea.

Now Upton's attack earlier showed that assault in the Civil War could happen.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on November 01, 2014, 02:08:21 PM
Column formation became a strictly movement formation. It was no longer used as a combat formation. That alone is a significant change. And of course there were more.

Engagement ranges were often not that much longer, but that is because finding terrain where you could not be engaged at rifle range became a necessity, so the importance of terrain became that much more critical.

Was this different then American practices in the war of 1812?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Admiral Yi

jimmy olsen

Quote from: celedhring on November 01, 2014, 11:57:43 AM
From wikipedia:

QuoteHowever, historians such as Allen C. Guelzo reject this traditional criticism of Civil War infantry tactics. Casualty estimates compared with expended ammunition from battles indicate 1 casualty for every 250 - 300 shots discharged, not a dramatic improvement over Napoleonic casualty rates. No contemporary accounts indicate that engagement ranges with substantial casualties between infantry occurred at ranges beyond Napoleonic engagement ranges.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifles_in_the_American_Civil_War

That number probably isn't that much different now, what with the common use of automatic weapons. Are you going to say those aren't qualitatively different then muskets and have not changed the way men fight?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 01, 2014, 08:53:49 PM
They used smoothbores in the Crimean.

And anyway, any history buff worth his salt should remember three.

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 01, 2014, 09:23:28 PM
Quote from: celedhring on November 01, 2014, 11:57:43 AM
From wikipedia:

QuoteHowever, historians such as Allen C. Guelzo reject this traditional criticism of Civil War infantry tactics. Casualty estimates compared with expended ammunition from battles indicate 1 casualty for every 250 - 300 shots discharged, not a dramatic improvement over Napoleonic casualty rates. No contemporary accounts indicate that engagement ranges with substantial casualties between infantry occurred at ranges beyond Napoleonic engagement ranges.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifles_in_the_American_Civil_War

That number probably isn't that much different now, what with the common use of automatic weapons. Are you going to say those aren't qualitatively different then muskets and have not changed the way men fight?

The big advantage of automatic weapons is they fire faster, so you would expect more bullets shot per minute, which is true (the hit rate is probably much, much lower).  The advantage of rifles is their accuracy, so you would expect higher hit rates, but we don't see that.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

I don't know if the "Bikini armor" thing has decrease, it may have just decreased in the games we play.  I think it's a bigger thing in console games.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Quote from: Razgovory on November 02, 2014, 04:04:26 AM
I don't know if the "Bikini armor" thing has decrease, it may have just decreased in the games we play.  I think it's a bigger thing in console games.

General Lee in bikini armor would be a disturbing image.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Viking

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 01, 2014, 08:53:49 PM
They used smoothbores in the Crimean.

Smoothbore horses for cavalry charges? I was referring to cavalry charges in the Crimean War and how viable they were as a tactic of war.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.