News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Was the American Civil War inevitible?

Started by jimmy olsen, October 30, 2014, 01:21:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Assuming no changes earlier than 1815, was the American Civil War inevitable?

Yes
14 (58.3%)
No
10 (41.7%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Valmy

His greatest victory, Chancellorsvile, certainly featured uncomfortably high casualties for the South.  Joe Johnston knew how the South needed to fight.  Ah well.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on October 30, 2014, 09:50:47 PM
Quote from: Lettow77 on October 30, 2014, 09:04:22 AM
Or these deep divisions could be allow to break on fault lines and create an amicable division.

Except the whole basis for the break was deep suspicion and rampant conspiracy theories.  The entire basis was conflict and hatred, how amicability could come from that I do not know.  You think good Northern Men were going to stand aside while the Slave Power Cabal destroyed the US to protect their un-American feudal privileges?

After John Brown it was coming.  Both sides were too entranched.  The notion that the South would have freed their slaves, gradually or otherwise, anytime soon was even more wishful thinking in 1860 than it had been in 1800.

I don't know.  I think most in the North were pro-Union, I'm not sure they wanted to fight over it until Southern belligerence forced the issue.  That said, if the Confederacy was allowed to live, there would never be a real peace with the Union.  No peace could exist between two states if the largest single investment of one of the countries is constantly running over the border to another one.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Lettow77

For all that the Union cause is underlined in the rhetoric that we are all countrymen and any separation is a villainous sundering of one coherent entity by a slave power conspiracy, the way so many yankees here and elsewhere go on about Southerners befits the sort of cant you see with Balkantards and their unbecoming ethnic feuds.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Valmy

Quote from: Lettow77 on October 30, 2014, 10:26:43 PM
For all that the Union cause is underlined in the rhetoric that we are all countrymen and any separation is a villainous sundering of one coherent entity by a slave power conspiracy, the way so many yankees here and elsewhere go on about Southerners befits the sort of cant you see with Balkantards and their unbecoming ethnic feuds.

Man this is nothing.  Seeing the Republicans and Democrats going at it on the internet these days you would think we were days away from another Civil War.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

viper37

Quote from: dps on October 30, 2014, 06:40:44 PM
Quote from: viper37 on October 30, 2014, 01:07:37 PM
The South had the people, the North had the economy.

Uhm, no, actually the north had both.
yes, but the North was industrialized while the South relied mostly on agriculture, with slave workers.

In the North, they could afford to densifiy a little more before expanding, so long as they could by agricultural products from elsewhere to complement their own production.

In the South, with an economy model revolving around plantations, ran by a few whites and lots of black slaves, if a family has more than a couple of children, the elder one gets the plantation while the other boys need to find something else, and that something else is either a plantation with no heir or new lands to expand to, for whatever production they wish.

So, I think the South had more imperatives to race west the North at that time.  And the North needed a lot of workers in the post-civil war era.  I don't know if the losses of the Civil War caused that, though, or if it was simply increased economic activity due to reconstruction era.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 30, 2014, 09:53:10 PM
I wonder...if the South decided to stay in, but use the threat of secession more as a bargaining chip than a real threat...how much in concessions to their way of life/state's rights could they have squeezed out?   They'd certainly have been better off and much stronger than under Reconstruction, and still a very powerful political bloc inside the U.S.

But nope, they had to go all honey badger on everybody.
Well, the moment Lincoln decided to prevent slavery in the new territories, the South would never accept that.  Lincoln would have had to allow slavery to be decided on a State by State basis for the South to consider remaining in the Union, imho.

But yeah, they would have been better to embrace change, but lot's of people don't see it that way.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on October 30, 2014, 11:02:41 PM
would have had to allow slavery to be decided on a State by State basis for the South to consider remaining in the Union, imho.

That was Stephen Douglas' idea and the South stormed out of the 1860 Democratic convetion to protest it.  They wanted complete rights to their property as guaranteed by the US Constitution and that included the ability to take them anywhere in the territories.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on October 30, 2014, 11:06:51 PM
Quote from: viper37 on October 30, 2014, 11:02:41 PM
would have had to allow slavery to be decided on a State by State basis for the South to consider remaining in the Union, imho.

That was Stephen Douglas' idea and the South stormed out of the 1860 Democratic convetion to protest it.  They wanted complete rights to their property as guaranteed by the US Constitution and that included the ability to take them anywhere in the territories.
Ah, I was mistaken then :)

Well, not much chance of a happy reunion by 1860 then.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on October 30, 2014, 11:11:18 PMAh, I was mistaken then :)

Well, not much chance of a happy reunion by 1860 then.

Yep every reasonable compromise had pretty much been tried by 1860. 

jimmy olsen

Quote from: viper37 on October 30, 2014, 10:59:38 PM
Quote from: dps on October 30, 2014, 06:40:44 PM
Quote from: viper37 on October 30, 2014, 01:07:37 PM
The South had the people, the North had the economy.

Uhm, no, actually the north had both.
yes, but the North was industrialized while the South relied mostly on agriculture, with slave workers.

In the North, they could afford to densifiy a little more before expanding, so long as they could by agricultural products from elsewhere to complement their own production.

In the South, with an economy model revolving around plantations, ran by a few whites and lots of black slaves, if a family has more than a couple of children, the elder one gets the plantation while the other boys need to find something else, and that something else is either a plantation with no heir or new lands to expand to, for whatever production they wish.

So, I think the South had more imperatives to race west the North at that time.  And the North needed a lot of workers in the post-civil war era.  I don't know if the losses of the Civil War caused that, though, or if it was simply increased economic activity due to reconstruction era.
That's not really how it worked out. The population in the North grew more and expanded faster even before immigrants started arriving in big waves in the late 1840s.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

Quote from: PDH on October 30, 2014, 10:06:39 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 30, 2014, 08:53:42 PM
Quote from: viper37 on October 30, 2014, 08:52:47 PM
Not unlike Grant, I think?

I think Peedy is being ironic.

No, Lee had a far higher casualty % than Grant.  He was overly offensive when he didn't need to be.  Iirc, he had about 1/3 more casualties in overall numbers than Grant - and that was with smaller armies that could ill afford it.  Lee was a butcher.

Grant was a butcher (but followed the surest strategy for winning).  Lee suffered high casualties in some battles, but most of the time he had no choice.

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on October 31, 2014, 09:14:55 AM
Grant was a butcher (but followed the surest strategy for winning).

The butchers were the ones who let the war continue year after year.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on October 31, 2014, 09:17:35 AM
Quote from: derspiess on October 31, 2014, 09:14:55 AM
Grant was a butcher (but followed the surest strategy for winning).

The butchers were the ones who let the war continue year after year.

Are you letting Grant off the hook, then?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 31, 2014, 09:28:56 AM
Quote from: derspiess on October 31, 2014, 09:23:44 AM
Are you letting Grant off the hook, then?

There's no hook to let him off of.

Cold Harbor was a pretty ginormous hook.  He even said so himself.