News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Was the American Civil War inevitible?

Started by jimmy olsen, October 30, 2014, 01:21:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Assuming no changes earlier than 1815, was the American Civil War inevitable?

Yes
14 (58.3%)
No
10 (41.7%)

Total Members Voted: 24

The Brain

I wouldn't say that it was inevitable, but it was certainly stupid.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jacob

Quote from: The Brain on October 30, 2014, 01:23:13 PM
I wouldn't say that it was inevitable, but it was certainly stupid.

Much like this thread.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on October 30, 2014, 09:58:55 AM
Quote from: dps on October 30, 2014, 09:53:36 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 30, 2014, 09:50:20 AM
Quote from: Lettow77 on October 30, 2014, 09:45:29 AM
You don't mean to say the colored community might have had to wait up to all of forty years, do you?

This might be the most repugnant portion of this recent exchange.

Hey, I certainly agree that chattel slavery is an abomination, and I'm glad we got rid of it.  I wish we'd gotten rid of it earlier, or better yet, never had it.  But I don't think it's repugnant to think that without the war, it would have continued to be a cancer in our country for a lot longer. 

I quoted a post where a poster suggested it was no big thing if slavery lasted another 40 years.
Had they been freed and immediatly became equal citizens, I would support your point of view, but given what we know of history, I'm not sure it is that repugnant.

Though, of course, imagining a situation where the South frees all slaves and makes them equal to whites is pure fantasy.  It would have been apartheid up 'til maybe the 1990s, like South Africa.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Viking

Quote from: Lettow77 on October 30, 2014, 08:52:00 AM
That can't be. I don't remember hearing tell of the Union army conducting any prolonged invasions in the area, which would obviously be the indispensable precursor to any sort of abolishment of slavery.

Only sub-human dixie scum need invading to convince them they shouldn't own other people.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Sophie Scholl

I still maintain we should have freed the slaves and then let those miserable, broken fucks have their country.  They could set up the feudal theocracy that so many down there still want and the rest of the country wouldn't be burdened by their stupidity. :mad:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

And I used to think *I* hated the South. Yeeowch.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

dps

Quote from: viper37 on October 30, 2014, 01:07:37 PM
The South had the people, the North had the economy.

Uhm, no, actually the north had both.

PDH

Quote from: derspiess on October 30, 2014, 10:30:13 AM
Quote from: PDH on October 30, 2014, 10:15:02 AM
The Civil War was inevitable because the South (personified here because they were a huge bag of dicks)

That's a bit harsh.  Their politicians were generally horrible people, but the southern population by & large were not.

The ones who weren't part of the Huge Bag of Dicks conspiracy fought for the Union.  Like George Thomas.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Viking

Quote from: PDH on October 30, 2014, 07:42:57 PM
Quote from: derspiess on October 30, 2014, 10:30:13 AM
Quote from: PDH on October 30, 2014, 10:15:02 AM
The Civil War was inevitable because the South (personified here because they were a huge bag of dicks)

That's a bit harsh.  Their politicians were generally horrible people, but the southern population by & large were not.

The ones who weren't part of the Huge Bag of Dicks conspiracy fought for the Union.  Like George Thomas.

Glad people finally agree that Robert E. Lee was one of the Bag of Dicks.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

PDH

Quote from: Viking on October 30, 2014, 08:19:07 PM

Glad people finally agree that Robert E. Lee was one of the Bag of Dicks.

Horrible butcher of his troops.  The only reason he is lauded in the South is because they are retarded.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi