Papa John's CEO Apologizes for Delivery Man's Racist Rant

Started by Syt, May 28, 2013, 01:46:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Berkut

I worked as a delivery driver, and managed a Pizza Hut delivery restaurant for several years.

$2 was the basic tip that a driver would consider a "good" tip. $1 was a crappy tip, but still nothing to get bent out of shape about.

$5 was an excellent tip.

That was 15 years ago, granted, but I doubt the basic tip levels have changed all that much.

Which makes me suspect there is More To The Story.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DontSayBanana

$15 is the best tip I ever got as a driver for Domino's, and that was for a delivery for a football game day party.  Delivering to plant facilities was the worst, because they'd be huge orders out a ways, and they'd tip little, if any.

$2 is average, $5 is still a pretty good tip.  I never really got bent out of shape over 1s, because those were probably in-city and lots of them.
Experience bij!

Jacob

Ed Anger

Quote from: katmai on May 28, 2013, 01:59:50 PM
$5 for delivering my pizza? Fuck that.

:yes:

2 bucks at most to the delivery driver/pot dealer/ cable descrambler seller.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jaron

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 28, 2013, 03:48:59 PM
My delivery orders usually come to around $20 bucks giver or take, so I tip $5;  delivery driving is dangerous work, between putting your ass on the line (robbery attempts) and your car on the line (getting wrecked trying to get me my jalapeno poppers), I think it's the least I can do.

Such a fine outstanding African American gentleman you are. :)
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Martinus

Ideologue

I never get anything delivered anymore, but on the rare occasions I have, I try to tip 20% or $4, whichever is highest.

Papa Johns is particularly annoying for delivery because they add a "delivery fee" ($2 last I checked) that does not, afaik, go--directly, anyway--to the delivery driver.  I.e., it's a bullshit upcharge.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Habbaku

Do drivers work for free where you come from, Ide?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Ideologue

I don't think so. I think they make the ordinary minwage.

I'd actually very much like to find out more about how delivery drivers operate.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

MadImmortalMan

I'm giving 20% or so unless something terrible goes wrong.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jaron on May 29, 2013, 12:14:20 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 28, 2013, 03:48:59 PM
My delivery orders usually come to around $20 bucks giver or take, so I tip $5;  delivery driving is dangerous work, between putting your ass on the line (robbery attempts) and your car on the line (getting wrecked trying to get me my jalapeno poppers), I think it's the least I can do.

Such a fine outstanding African American gentleman you are. :)

Jalapeno poppers are worth it.

Martinus

I usually pay online or with plastic and do not carry cash so I never tip. :yeah:

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Martinus on May 29, 2013, 09:04:30 AM
I usually pay online or with plastic and do not carry cash so I never tip. :yeah:

If you're a known no-tipper, you don't want to know what kind of "additives" are going into your food.
Experience bij!

derspiess

Yeah, when I order delivery online from Papa Johns or wherever, I usually go ahead and throw the tip on there when I'm paying with my debit card.

I know it's always better to tip in cash (take that, Ide) but more often than not I either don't have any cash on me or don't have small bills.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall