Papa John's CEO Apologizes for Delivery Man's Racist Rant

Started by Syt, May 28, 2013, 01:46:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on May 30, 2013, 06:19:48 PM
I'm trying to imagine a world in which there are no "losers" and we all do "non-loser" jobs  :hmm:

I suspect we would be totally fucked and all die of starvation/hypothermia/whatever within 12 months.

Well, such jobs are there for young people working in them for a limited time. If a student wants to make a few bucks on top of his or her allowance then he/she is not a loser for working such job (but then he/she should not care too much about tips).

However, if you are over thirty and your livelihood depends on delivering pizza, then you are a loser.

Richard Hakluyt

Mrs Thatcher said something to that effect back in the day, let me see.......

"A man who, beyond the age of 30, finds himself on a bus can count himself as a failure" ........thus pissing off any number of well-heeled voters in London  :lol:

Though apparently she never did say that, we all just thought she did; the internet giveth and the internet taketh away  :(

Martinus

Well, pissing off voters does not mean you are not right. In fact, usually, it means the opposite. :P

OttoVonBismarck

I have to disagree with Marti, we normally agree on matters relating to the reprehensible nature of the poor, but I must say we do need an underclass. It can't fully be staffed only by the young.

Malthus

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on May 31, 2013, 03:46:11 AM
Mrs Thatcher said something to that effect back in the day, let me see.......

"A man who, beyond the age of 30, finds himself on a bus can count himself as a failure" ........thus pissing off any number of well-heeled voters in London  :lol:

Though apparently she never did say that, we all just thought she did; the internet giveth and the internet taketh away  :(

In Toronto, a man who attempts to drive downtown can count himself as a failure.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Martinus on May 31, 2013, 03:32:14 AM
If a student wants to make a few bucks on top of his or her allowance...

Not all parents treat their children like bubble boys, keeping them away from all danger and providing them with allowance. 

Syt

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on May 31, 2013, 09:33:39 AM
I have to disagree with Marti, we normally agree on matters relating to the reprehensible nature of the poor, but I must say we do need an underclass. It can't fully be staffed only by the young.

The problem is that the kind of work uneducated, less gifted members of society can perform in the market has become downgraded a lot in the past 30, 40 years. In the 70s and 80s, if you had no education, you could head out and do helpers' jobs on construction sites, in production companies etc.

These days they hardly let you in the door unless you have all kinds of fancy certificates.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Syt on May 31, 2013, 11:30:16 AM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on May 31, 2013, 09:33:39 AM

The problem is that the kind of work uneducated, less gifted members of society can perform in the market has become downgraded a lot in the past 30, 40 years. In the 70s and 80s, if you had no education, you could head out and do helpers' jobs on construction sites, in production companies etc.

These days they hardly let you in the door unless you have all kinds of fancy certificates.

Meh, in the 70s and 80s I was hearing about how back in the 50s and 60s if you had no eduction you could head out and get jobs of that nature and how impossible it was to do in the 70s and 80s.

Caliga

Quote from: Caliga on May 29, 2013, 09:29:42 AM
Schnatter is a weird dude.  There's a Papa John's down the road here, and sometimes he'll just show up there and start making pizza.  I've never seen him there but he ran the register for one of my co-workers before.  Dude, come on, you have peons to do that shit for you. :huh:
I TOLD you guys he was a weird dude. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

HVC

use the N word during a PR training session (which in context didn't see racial, just misguided. he complained that Colonial Sanders used the word nigger and KFC never got any flack). He then went on to explain (reminisce?) about how in the area where he grow up the use to drag black people behind cars, so he's not as bad as them.

After this his PR company dropped him, he got fired from his chairman job at popa johns and some sports teams dropped popa johns
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Caliga

Also our stadium just dropped "Papa John's" from its name (now it's just 'Cardinal Stadium').  I saw Taylor Swift there a few weeks back so I guess that was one of the last shows under the old name.

Caliga

Anyways I believe I've commented in other threads on here how weird he is. :ph34r:

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on July 17, 2018, 01:34:54 PM
And Schnatter is just days later saying it was a mistake to resign.

https://www.vox.com/identities/2018/7/17/17581558/papa-john-n-word-resignation

QuoteThis isn't the first racial controversy for Schnatter; he had already resigned as Papa John's CEO, but not chair, last year after blaming falling sales on the NFL's inability to stop national anthem protests over systemic racism and police brutality. (Papa John's was, but no longer is, the NFL's official pizza.)

MONSTROUS.

And then the second half of the article just worships the wisdom of Ta-Nehisi Coates.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall