And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 14, 2015, 04:46:04 PM
Obstructionism DOES work!

In the case of the economy, it doesn't seem to have hurt.

CountDeMoney

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Somebody has to pay for those awesome E*trade baby commercials.

Admiral Yi

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on January 14, 2015, 04:43:52 PM
Quote from: dps on January 14, 2015, 01:05:10 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on January 14, 2015, 12:39:53 AM
I also think that the Establishment GOP aren't very competent.   

This isn't news.  Depending on exactly how you define the Establishment GOP, the only time a candidate from that part of the party won a Presidential election in the last 80 years was in 1988.  (Eisenhower, I'd say, was backed by the GOP Establishment, but he himself wasn't exactly a member of the Establishment.)

You define it differently then I do.  The last time a GOP establishment candidate didn't win the primary was 1980.  And that guy created a new establishment.

That's actually not unreasonable.  As I said, it depends on how you define the GOP Establishment.  Either way, though, Milt Romney is definitely part of it, and he did lose the general election in 2012.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 14, 2015, 10:25:52 AM
If Mitt Romney is the answer, what is the question?

I'm a happily married square and the thought of BDS&M horrifies me.
Yet I am the most prolific binderer of women in America
Who am I?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: garbon on January 14, 2015, 02:40:36 PM
Here's the New Yorker on his "water bottle" moment.

http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/marco-rubios-water-bottle-moment

Most people have forgotten, but Bill Clinton bombed utterly in a 1988 Convention speech, and at the time, was widely written off as a potential future Presidential candidate . . .
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on January 14, 2015, 02:30:31 PM
Saw an interview with Marco Rubio on yesterday's Daily Show. For a Republican he sounds quite bright and has a number of good ideas. Any chance of him scoring a nomination?
I saw his speech after he won election in 2010. I initially thought he looked like a good candidate. Since then I'm not so sure.

My view is that he's very much an empty suit. He also just comes across callow.

QuoteI read somewhere that all of Romney's 2012 election promises re: the economy (unemployment rate, economic growth, etc) have been fulfilled by now.
Deficit reduction too. Obama's going to go down historically as a very successful President.

QuoteWas mostly talking about the primaries, where a one week blunder can easily kill a leading candidate before an important primary. The primaries themselves are lots of fun for an outsider, but ridiculous from a purely democratic point of view. Why stagger them throughout several months? I understand it was necessary in a time without access to mass media, but nowadays candidates can easily send their message across the nation quite easily. Why privilege some states that vote earlier?
I don't the states who do the early primaries should be sacred, but I think the primary system is great. Yeah a blunder one week can kill a leading candidate, but that's politics surely?

The benefit of the primaries is that it allows other candidates to emerge. If they weren't staggered and didn't start with relatively small states then the candidate who starts as the prohibitive favourite with the most money would automatically win. It would've been Giuliani-Clinton in 2008, who knows if Clinton would've won without his 'comeback kid' moment in New Hampshire and all the votes were held with Iowa. It's a way of allowing dark horse candidates to emerge and removing the nomination from the party elite/donors.

Also my understanding is that Iowa and New Hampshire especially are not interested in receiving media messages from across the country. They expect candidates who want their votes to move there :lol:

QuoteNot you, Sheilbh.  :cry:
:weep: I'm going to go and ritual suicide now :(
Let's bomb Russia!

jimmy olsen

There should be 4 or 5 regional primaries which rotate in order, held three weeks apart starting at the beginning of April and ending in early July.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 14, 2015, 10:58:21 PM
It would've been Giuliani-Clinton in 2008,

I disagree. Giuliani could not have gotten a majority of delegates, and the non-Giuliani delegates would have banded around someone else.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 14, 2015, 10:58:21 PM
Deficit reduction too. Obama's going to go down historically as a very successful President.

What has Obama done to deserve any credit for deficit reduction?

Maximus

Quote from: garbon on January 14, 2015, 02:40:36 PM
Here's the New Yorker on his "water bottle" moment.

http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/marco-rubios-water-bottle-moment

Oh for fuck's sake. This is why we can't have nice things. (Not directed at you, garbon)

derspiess

I remember that being a big deal here for a couple days.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?