News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Well we've seen him actually govern (albeit on a much smaller scale). I agree that if someone had doubts still about what a Mitt presidency might look like that it would likely be a bad idea to vote for him. For myself, I can't really see him doing anything in office that I would deem horrible (though really nothing that I would deem particularly good either). :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

The 2012 Romney campaign was as much of a car wreck as a political campaign can get, from the gaffes to the packaging, and even certain things like ORCA were fucked up to the point that campaign insiders said that it was a "consultant's con job"...but after reading through the Romney Readiness Project and the agenda for the first 200 days in the White House, what he had in store for the Federal government is just downright fucking frightening.

jimmy olsen

Dude has no chance. The base just doesn't like him enough:lol:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/01/29/us-usa-politics-graham-idUSKBN0L226F20150129

QuoteLindsey Graham to test 2016 Republican presidential waters

By Steve Holland and Susan Cornwell

WASHINGTON Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:51pm EST

(Reuters) - South Carolina Republican Senator Lindsey Graham on Thursday formed a political organization to explore a potential run for his party's presidential nomination, the latest high-profile politician to test the 2016 waters.

Graham would attempt to use his South Carolina home base to his advantage for any potential run, since the Southern state is typically the third to hold a nominating contest in presidential election years, after Iowa and New Hampshire.

"What I'm looking at is, is there a pathway forward on the ground in Iowa and New Hampshire for a guy like me? I don't know until I look," Graham told reporters on Capitol Hill.

Graham is a hawk on defense and foreign policy, generally aligned with Senator John McCain, one of his best friends. In his statement announcing his intentions, he cited the battle against Islamic extremism as a top priority.

He holds moderate views on how to deal with illegal immigrants, which could put him afoul some conservatives. He said Republicans need to improve their standing with Latino voters after 2012 presidential nominee Mitt Romney got less than a third of their support.

"A center-right candidacy can prevail in America," he said.

Graham joins a list of more than a 15 Republicans who are thinking about running for president, a group that includes Romney and former Florida Governor Jeb Bush.

Graham formed a committee called "Security Through Strength," which allows him to raise money to fund travel around the country to gauge support for a candidacy.

He said Security Through Strength also requires "a sound and growing economy with a nation that becomes energy independent over time."

Graham's organization is headed by David Wilkins, a former U.S. ambassador to Canada under President George W. Bush and a former speaker of the South Carolina House of Representatives.

Political strategist Christian Ferry and long-time Graham adviser Scott Farmer were named to guide the "testing the waters" effort.

(Reporting By Steve Holland; editing by Andrew Hay and Richard Chang)
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 27, 2015, 03:27:28 PM
The 2012 Romney campaign was as much of a car wreck as a political campaign can get, from the gaffes to the packaging, and even certain things like ORCA were fucked up to the point that campaign insiders said that it was a "consultant's con job"...but after reading through the Romney Readiness Project and the agenda for the first 200 days in the White House, what he had in store for the Federal government is just downright fucking frightening.

oh, but Fox news was epic that night.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Personally, I found the concept of Romney outsourcing such a fundamental and critical element of his campaign to outside consultants as transcending even irony itself, in all its sheer elegant and poetic beauty.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on January 27, 2015, 03:09:20 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on January 27, 2015, 03:00:32 PM
2008 he branded himself as the movement conservative candidate (rightly spotting a gap in the market), in 2012 the sensible candidate (again another gap in the market) and now as an authentic candidate. Voters aren't stupid :bleeding:

I'm no fan of the man, but I don't really care about the drapery and posing in a campaign when it comes to voting.

So what do you care about? Because under the drapery and posing, it's all about sucking Saudi cock, whether a Democrat or a Republican is in power. :P

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point