News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

CountDeMoney

Meanwhile, in the Trumpiverse...

QuoteTrump attacks U.S. foreign policy, political press corps on state-owned Russian television network

When King asked Trump if he believed reports that Russian hackers may have targeted Democratic Party databases as part of an effort to influence the American presidential election, Trump said he did not believe that to be the case.

"I think it's probably unlikely. I think maybe the Democrats are putting that out. Who knows? But I think that it's pretty unlikely," he said. "I hope that if they are doing something I hope that somebody's going to be able to find out so they can end it, because that would not be appropriate."

King also asked Trump about Putin's assertion that the hack was a "public service," even as he claimed the Russian government was not involved.

"I don't have any opinion on it. I don't know anything about it. I don't know who hacked. I'm not sure. You tell me. Who hacked? Who did the hacking?" Trump said.

Today's Quinnapiac polls--
Ohio:  Trump +1
Florida: Even

Yay, America.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on September 08, 2016, 02:18:18 PM
Humans of New York made space for Hil.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/tasneemnashrulla/hillary-clinton-humans-of-new-york-post?utm_term=.mbO5D1kjN#.bhKDRJ8Gw

Quote"I was taking a law school admissions test in a big classroom at Harvard. My friend and I were some of the only women in the room. I was feeling nervous. I was a senior in college. I wasn't sure how well I'd do. And while we're waiting for the exam to start, a group of men began to yell things like: 'You don't need to be here.' And 'There's plenty else you can do.' It turned into a real 'pile on.' One of them even said: 'If you take my spot, I'll get drafted, and I'll go to Vietnam, and I'll die.' And they weren't kidding around. It was intense. It got very personal. But I couldn't respond. I couldn't afford to get distracted because I didn't want to mess up the test. So I just kept looking down, hoping that the proctor would walk in the room. I know that I can be perceived as aloof or cold or unemotional. But I had to learn as a young woman to control my emotions. And that's a hard path to walk. Because you need to protect yourself, you need to keep steady, but at the same time you don't want to seem 'walled off.' And sometimes I think I come across more in the 'walled off' arena. And if I create that perception, then I take responsibility. I don't view myself as cold or unemotional. And neither do my friends. And neither does my family. But if that sometimes is the perception I create, then I can't blame people for thinking that."

:bleeding:

At least, unlike Trump, she doesn't make it all about herself. She only uses "I", "my" or "myself" 30 times in this quote.

And she should get a Purple Heart for standing up to patriarchy like that - maybe the guy who went to Vietnam because she took his spot could give it to her?

Martinus

Anyway, could you explain to me what's the message of this story? (Because as a politician, there must be a message, she doesn't just say this randomly)

That she is withdrawn and aloof because her wanton ambition and lust for career has probably contributed to some kid's death in Vietnam, and this eats at her soul even now? Or?  :hmm:

Eddie Teach

If he'd gotten the deferment, some other dude would be drafted in his place and we'd just have one more shitty lawyer.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Zoupa

That'd be nice. It kinda kills the flow of threads when he keeps crying for attention and trolling.

Folks keep engaging with him, I just don't get it. Boredom, maybe.

jimmy olsen

An in actual scandal news

http://www.businessinsider.com/florida-newspaper-federal-investigation-trump-foundation-2016-9

QuoteQuestions over the Trump Foundation's  illegal contribution to a political group tied to Florida's attorney general do not appear to be going away.

The Tampa Bay Times is urging the US federal government to investigate potential connections between Donald Trump's charity and Florida state attorney general, Pam Bondi.

"Since Florida prosecutors will not touch this mess, the Justice Department is the only option," the newspaper's editorial board wrote on Thursday.

"The appearance of something more than a coincidence is too serious and the unresolved questions are too numerous to accept blanket denials by Bondi and Trump without more digging and an independent review," the board said.

The question at hand is whether the Trump Foundation made the $25,000 contribution to stave off a Florida state inquiry, led by Bondi in 2013, that was related to allegations against Trump University — the New York billionaire's embattled entrepreneurship business.

The Tampa Bay Times called into question the timing of Bondi's decision not to pursue any further investigation into the matter, saying it "simply does not look right and deserves an independent look to reassure Floridians that the state's top legal officer did nothing wrong."

The Washington Post  reported last week that the IRS slapped the Trump Foundation with a fine over that $25,000 gift. A Trump Organization senior vice president told The Post that the donation was "an honest mistake" and that the contribution wasn't properly listed.

Bondi has maintained that suggestions of collusion are politically motivated and declared she "will not be collateral damage in a presidential campaign" or "be a woman bullied by Hillary Clinton.''

During a Republican primary debate in August 2015, Donald Trump boasted about calling in favors from his political allies in exchange for campaign contributions.

"When they call, I give. And you know what? When I need something from them, two years later, three years later, I call them. They are there for me," Trump said.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Quote from: Zoupa on September 09, 2016, 01:17:32 AM
That'd be nice. It kinda kills the flow of threads when he keeps crying for attention and trolling.

Yeah boredom can go a long way.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 09, 2016, 02:10:58 AM

http://www.businessinsider.com/florida-newspaper-federal-investigation-trump-foundation-2016-9

Yeah, actual scandal news about a $25,000 donation, as opposed to all those fake scandal news about millions of dollars in donations and speech fees to the Clinton Foundation? :D

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on September 09, 2016, 02:13:15 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on September 09, 2016, 01:17:32 AM

Yeah boredom can go a long way.

Don't be a bitch.  :hug:

garbon

Next he asked the leopard to shed its spots.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Martinus on September 09, 2016, 02:44:23 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 09, 2016, 02:10:58 AM

Yeah, actual scandal news about a $25,000 donation, as opposed to all those fake scandal news about millions of dollars in donations and speech fees to the Clinton Foundation? :D

He bribed the attorney general of Florida to drop a criminal investigation. Name one thing remotely comparable that Clinton has done. You can't, because it doesn't exist.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point