News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martinus on September 07, 2016, 02:32:53 AM
Nuking the hell out of ISIS (and Mecca, while we are at it) would be the best thing ever.

But only after we drop the bomb on all the internet trolls.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

I didn't pay that much attention to his interviews during primary, so I missed this 'gem'.

https://thinkprogress.org/9-terrifying-things-donald-trump-has-publicly-said-about-nuclear-weapons-99f6290bc32a#.iip16qou6

QuoteDICKERSON: They talk about the presidency and who has the finger on the button. The United States has not used nuclear weapons since 1945. When should it?

TRUMP: Well, it is an absolute last stance. And, you know, I use the word unpredictable. You want to be unpredictable.

And somebody recently said — I made a great business deal. And the person on the other side was interviewed by a newspaper. And how did Trump do this? And they said, he`s so unpredictable. And I didn`t know if he meant it positively or negative. It turned out he meant it positively.
[CBS, 1/3/16]

I've no idea what any of that means. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

alfred russel

Quote from: Legbiter on September 07, 2016, 07:39:34 AM
The press just keeps hammering poor Hillary.  :(

The "hatred" between the two is ridiculous. Didn't she attend his last wedding? Didn't he call Bill before deciding to run?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

garbon

Quote from: garbon on September 06, 2016, 02:12:21 PM
Quote from: Martinus on September 06, 2016, 02:05:54 PM
Turns out Kasich is a moron after all.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/progressivesecularhumanist/2016/09/ohio-governor-attacks-daniel-radcliffe-for-being-an-atheist/

Do we have any reliable news sites? With a quick Google I only found an echo chamber on several blogs.

Oh, nevermind, I found it for myself on the Concord Monitor. They've only a snippet saying he said then and then quickly switched topics. Seems like you'd have to be a really thin-skinned atheist to have that be the reason that you hate Kasich.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on September 07, 2016, 09:04:28 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 07, 2016, 06:38:48 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 07, 2016, 06:11:46 AM
The Dallas Morning News endorses its first Democrat for president since World War II, says Trump's not a real Republican, and they know 'em when they see 'em.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/06/politics/dallas-morning-news-donald-trump-endorsement/index.html

Well he's certainly not a conservative.

I wish I could agree with that, but I think he's actually sort of his own brand of populist conservative.  Pretty much the opposite of a Rand Paul conservative.

He's right wing, but not conservative.  His own "Brand" is right wing populism.  If you want a label, think of him as an "Al Capone" Republican.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on September 07, 2016, 09:56:05 AM
He's right wing, but not conservative.  His own "Brand" is right wing populism.  If you want a label, think of him as an "Al Capone" Republican.

Depends on how you define "conservative".  I think he's along the lines of a Pat Buchanan conservative.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on September 07, 2016, 10:05:44 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 07, 2016, 09:56:05 AM

Depends on how you define "conservative".  I think he's along the lines of a Pat Buchanan conservative.

I'm not one of those who try and argue "Hitler was really a leftist".  Trump certainly does fit in with a certain brand of conservative, like as you suggest, Pat Buchanan.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

I guess I gave conservatism far to much credit.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Legbiter

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 07, 2016, 08:16:19 AMWhen you spoon with Marti, are you the innie or outie?  I'm thinking outie.

You in need of some body-positivity Seedy? She's got a new lingerie spread out.  :hmm:

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on September 07, 2016, 10:21:51 AM

Some of the Democrats fellow travellers are just as bad Raz.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on September 07, 2016, 10:21:51 AM

I wish I could say he's not a conservative of any sort.  He's wishy-washy if that makes you feel better.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Also since we are filtering c-uck, can we turn on a Lena Dunham filter that replaces pics of her with Kate Upton?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: alfred russel on September 07, 2016, 09:23:56 AM

The "hatred" between the two is ridiculous. Didn't she attend his last wedding? Didn't he call Bill before deciding to run?

Who wouldn't attend a Trump wedding?  The catering alone had to have been magnificent.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 07, 2016, 11:23:18 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on September 07, 2016, 09:23:56 AM

Who wouldn't attend a Trump wedding?  The catering alone had to have been magnificent.

Trump said it best.  She was at his wedding because he paid her.

CountDeMoney