News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Papabile: Papal predictions thread

Started by Martinus, February 12, 2013, 11:51:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Okay, you're right - as a non-Catholic, I don't think I'll ever understand that. Though I suppose it could be akin to how I voluntarily go to church a few times a year despite not being religious.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

But then my partaking of said rituals has little to do about what the organizations think about my sexuality. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Quote from: garbon on March 19, 2013, 10:30:24 AM
Okay, you're right - as a non-Catholic, I don't think I'll ever understand that. Though I suppose it could be akin to how I voluntarily go to church a few times a year despite not being religious.

Yeah, I don't quite get it either.  I mean, for Jews I get it--they were a heavily persecuted minority in most places, and even if they converted, they were still looked on as Jews and still persecuted, so it makes some sense that tended to still identify as Jews culturally, even if they weren't practicing Jews.  But while Catholics have certainly been persecuted in some countries at some times, it's not been on nearly the same level.

Liep

Quote from: dps on March 19, 2013, 10:41:09 AM
Yeah, I don't quite get it either.  I mean, for Jews I get it--they were a heavily persecuted minority in most places, and even if they converted, they were still looked on as Jews and still persecuted, so it makes some sense that tended to still identify as Jews culturally, even if they weren't practicing Jews.  But while Catholics have certainly been persecuted in some countries at some times, it's not been on nearly the same level.

After the partitions of Poland they took to Catholicism because of German and Russian attempts to convert and germanify/russify them. Then after the Soviet occupations they again turned to Catholicism as a gathering point against communism. So it's somewhat understandable that they're more inclined towards religion as a cultural thing.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 19, 2013, 10:29:17 AM
Actually it was either Paul or Timothy that said salvation comes from faith.  :pope:

Neither Paul nor Timothy are really that big in the Catholic church (another reason why we are different from protestants: Bible? Not so important).

Augustine and Aquinas are more important than that.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on March 19, 2013, 10:31:12 AM
But then my partaking of said rituals has little to do about what the organizations think about my sexuality. ;)

Gotcha - but for me it is an important point. Essentially, I don't go where I am not welcome*.

*Languish excepted. :P

Martinus

Quote from: dps on March 19, 2013, 10:41:09 AM

Well, at least in Poland and Ireland, Catholicism was the mainstay of national indentity as the invaders/oppressors were heathen.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on March 19, 2013, 10:50:05 AM
Neither Paul nor Timothy are really that big in the Catholic church (another reason why we are different from protestants: Bible? Not so important).

I hear you.

But it's not as if Martin Luther came up with some crazy new doctrine on his own.

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 19, 2013, 10:52:50 AM

I hear you.

But it's not as if Martin Luther came up with some crazy new doctrine on his own.

Yeah, but he was actually about going back to the Bible - something the Catholic church according to him at least departed from.

Eddie Teach

I refuse to go except for weddings and funerals. It's a sticking point for me because I was constantly fighting(and losing) that battle during my teens.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadImmortalMan

Out of curiosity, what happens with regard to the Pope's original citizenship? Do they become dual citizens and get a Vatican one too? Presumably, unless they're quitters like Benedict, they become VC residents for the rest of their lives, right?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 19, 2013, 12:00:42 PM

I refuse to go except for weddings and funerals. It's a sticking point for me because I was constantly fighting(and losing) that battle during my teens.

This is why you should never drag your kids to church/mosque/whatever.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zanza

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 19, 2013, 02:45:46 PM
Out of curiosity, what happens with regard to the Pope's original citizenship? Do they become dual citizens and get a Vatican one too? Presumably, unless they're quitters like Benedict, they become VC residents for the rest of their lives, right?
Vatican citizenship is based on your office, so cardinals etc. typically only get it while they are actively working in the curia in Rome. Benedict became a dual citizen. In 1981 when he became a Roman cardinal, not when he was elected Pope. When you become stateless by losing Vatican citizenship, you'll automatically become an Italian citizen.

Martinus

I found this cartoon about a Polish bishop trying to find himself in the new reality amusing:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 19, 2013, 10:52:50 AM

I hear you.

Well actually the whole notion that one could find truth in the Bible for themselves without the assistance of a priest was a crazy new doctrine - at least in the eyes of the Church.  Granted Lurther didnt develop that all himself but that is pretty much the core of Protestant belief.  And it is only with that kind of religious freedom that one can hold an interpretive view separate and apart from Church teaching.