Teaching English to the children of Russian Oligarchs/Mobsters

Started by jimmy olsen, September 16, 2012, 06:25:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 16, 2012, 07:17:42 PM
Quote from: Martinus on September 16, 2012, 01:29:11 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 16, 2012, 06:46:14 AM
It's not confined to Moscow, and even if it was isn't Russian GDP per capita is like $13k. I'd be rolling in money.

No you won't. It's not a median. The standard of living is significantly below what you would be used to in rural America. In order to get the standard of living comparable to a middle class person in a Western city, you would be paying through your nose.
If was pulling in $48-72k in Russia I would certainly have a higher standard of living then I do now in S. Korea.

Tim, rather than move to remote regions of russia to raise your standard of living, why not reconsider a career teaching english? There are undergrad careers that pay in that range right out of school, and some have pathways to lots of international travel if that is what you are after.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Phillip V

Quote from: alfred russel on September 16, 2012, 07:52:39 PM
It's not confined to Moscow, and even if it was isn't Russian GDP per capita is like $13k. I'd be rolling in money.

No you won't. It's not a median. The standard of living is significantly below what you would be used to in rural America. In order to get the standard of living comparable to a middle class person in a Western city, you would be paying through your nose.
If was pulling in $48-72k in Russia I would certainly have a higher standard of living then I do now in S. Korea.

Tim, rather than move to remote regions of russia to raise your standard of living, why not reconsider a career teaching english? There are undergrad careers that pay in that range right out of school, and some have pathways to lots of international travel if that is what you are after.
What's he doing now in S. Korea?

jimmy olsen

What do you think I'm doing? :unsure:

I already have a Masters in Education, TEFL certificate and three years experience. The only thing I could do to enhance my resume is get a CELTA certificate or a PHD.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Jaron

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 16, 2012, 08:44:02 PM

I already have a Masters in Education, TEFL certificate and three years experience. The only thing I could do to enhance my resume is get a CELTA certificate or a PHD.

Or become more sporty.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

DGuller

Quote from: The Brain on September 16, 2012, 02:40:38 PM
Tim used to be a used encyclopedia salesman in the Deep South. I think he can take care of himself.
:XD:

DGuller

I don't know if you're seriously considering this, but if you are, how are you planning to get around the language barrier?  Russians are highly predatory people, especially the cops, so being in the less-developed part of the country without reliable means of communicating with other people is asking for trouble.

Josquius

Yeah....I'd guess Russian language skills would be needed anyway for such a high paying job.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 16, 2012, 08:44:02 PM

Tim, I'm sure you realize that at this point a lack of formal qualifications is not what is holding you back.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jaron

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

katmai

Now now Habbu he speaks from experience with his Masters in ED. :lol:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Barrister on September 16, 2012, 11:01:13 PM
Tim, I'm sure you realize that at this point a lack of formal qualifications is not what is holding you back.
I read his statement wrong and misunderstood his point.

I love teaching English and have no plans to stop anytime soon. 
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Jaron

Quote from: Habbaku on September 16, 2012, 11:07:47 PM
Quote from: Jaron on September 16, 2012, 11:02:09 PM
PhD in Education = Worthless.

How's that PhD in Beef-Patty Flippology going?

Great joke, considering I haven't done that job for 7 years now. :P

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Jaron