Teaching English to the children of Russian Oligarchs/Mobsters

Started by jimmy olsen, September 16, 2012, 06:25:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Jaron

Say what you want about Mormons spiritually, but in every other aspect of their lives they know how to get shit done, especially in their business dealings*

Mitt excepted. A company made up of Mormons is a machine to behold.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 16, 2012, 11:15:38 PM
I read his statement wrong and misunderstood his point.

I love teaching English and have no plans to stop anytime soon.

I thought your goal was to teach (alt) history?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 17, 2012, 12:16:06 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 16, 2012, 11:15:38 PM
I read his statement wrong and misunderstood his point.

I love teaching English and have no plans to stop anytime soon.

I thought your goal was to teach (alt) history?

They teach that in Russia as well.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

alfred russel

Quote from: Phillip V on September 16, 2012, 07:58:50 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on September 16, 2012, 07:52:39 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 16, 2012, 07:17:42 PM
Quote from: Martinus on September 16, 2012, 01:29:11 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 16, 2012, 06:46:14 AM
It's not confined to Moscow, and even if it was isn't Russian GDP per capita is like $13k. I'd be rolling in money.

No you won't. It's not a median. The standard of living is significantly below what you would be used to in rural America. In order to get the standard of living comparable to a middle class person in a Western city, you would be paying through your nose.
If was pulling in $48-72k in Russia I would certainly have a higher standard of living then I do now in S. Korea.

Tim, rather than move to remote regions of russia to raise your standard of living, why not reconsider a career teaching english? There are undergrad careers that pay in that range right out of school, and some have pathways to lots of international travel if that is what you are after.
What's he doing now in S. Korea?

Teaching english at a standard of living he would consider moving to remote regions of russia to improve?

DGuller, do you speak russian?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Camerus

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Eddie Teach

jimmy olsen

Quote from: alfred russel on September 17, 2012, 12:47:35 AM
Quote from: Phillip V on September 16, 2012, 07:58:50 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on September 16, 2012, 07:52:39 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 16, 2012, 07:17:42 PM
Quote from: Martinus on September 16, 2012, 01:29:11 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 16, 2012, 06:46:14 AM
It's not confined to Moscow, and even if it was isn't Russian GDP per capita is like $13k. I'd be rolling in money.

No you won't. It's not a median. The standard of living is significantly below what you would be used to in rural America. In order to get the standard of living comparable to a middle class person in a Western city, you would be paying through your nose.
If was pulling in $48-72k in Russia I would certainly have a higher standard of living then I do now in S. Korea.

Tim, rather than move to remote regions of russia to raise your standard of living, why not reconsider a career teaching english? There are undergrad careers that pay in that range right out of school, and some have pathways to lots of international travel if that is what you are after.
What's he doing now in S. Korea?

Teaching english at a standard of living he would consider moving to remote regions of russia to improve?

I'm quite happy with my standard of living. That doesn't mean it can't get better.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jaron on September 16, 2012, 11:33:10 PM
Yep. Doing pretty well for myself.

You had nowhere to go but up, so you've got that going for you. :thumbsup:

garbon

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 17, 2012, 01:31:18 AM
I'm quite happy with my standard of living. That doesn't mean it can't get better.

Has anyone ever said that with regards to moving to Russia?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach