LOL, Japan says "charge it!", Chicoms all upset-like

Started by CountDeMoney, September 13, 2012, 06:14:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lettow77

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/china-japan-heading-towards-war-says-us-defence-secretary-leon-panetta/story-e6frg6so-1226475484583

Panetta's comments here were very lukewarm and unreassuring- he acts as if it isn't clear who is doing the provocations and warmongering, and as if one was not our firm all in the region and the other our strategic enemy. This sort of behaviour strikes me as being encouraging to China.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Grinning_Colossus

1,000 Chinese fishing boats are heading for the islands, daring the Japanese to arrest them.
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/text/nn20120917x1.html
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Razgovory

Quote from: Lettow77 on September 17, 2012, 08:57:56 AM
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/china-japan-heading-towards-war-says-us-defence-secretary-leon-panetta/story-e6frg6so-1226475484583

Panetta's comments here were very lukewarm and unreassuring- he acts as if it isn't clear who is doing the provocations and warmongering, and as if one was not our firm all in the region and the other our strategic enemy. This sort of behaviour strikes me as being encouraging to China.

What's this "our" stuff all of a sudden?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on September 13, 2012, 04:33:12 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 13, 2012, 02:04:48 PM
If China does decide to enforce claims militarily, the US will be treaty-bound to intervene on Japan's behalf.

So WWIII will start over some uninhabited Islands?  Well I suppose that is as good of a reason as a dead Habsburg.

Would that qualify as a world war, though, or would you expect other countries to join in too?

Martinus

Quote from: Lettow77 on September 17, 2012, 08:57:56 AMPanetta's comments here were very lukewarm and unreassuring- he acts as if it isn't clear who is doing the provocations and warmongering, and as if one was not our firm allnazi-loving competitor in the region and the other our strategic enemybiggest creditor. This sort of behaviour strikes me as being encouraging to China.

FYPFY.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Martinus on September 17, 2012, 09:31:52 AM
If China does decide to enforce claims militarily, the US will be treaty-bound to intervene on Japan's behalf.

So WWIII will start over some uninhabited Islands?  Well I suppose that is as good of a reason as a dead Habsburg.

Would that qualify as a world war, though, or would you expect other countries to join in too?

If it goes Japan - USA then it goes USA - NATO in a matter of seconds really.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Martinus

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 17, 2012, 09:33:47 AM

How come? A conflict in the Pacific wouldn't constitute a casus foederis for NATO and I find it hard to believe Europeans would jump so eagerly on a prospect of a war with one of their biggest trading partners.

alfred russel

It is almost a zen question you pose...Only a few countries enter a war, but the nuclear exchanges irradiate everyone and humanity is destroyed. Should that be considered a world war?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

jimmy olsen

US & Japan vs. China (at minimum) would have the world's three largest economies fighting it out. By themselves I don't think it would qualify as a world war, but it could easily spread.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

alfred russel

Quote from: Martinus on September 17, 2012, 09:35:05 AM
How come? A conflict in the Pacific wouldn't constitute a casus foederis for NATO and I find it hard to believe Europeans would jump so eagerly on a prospect of a war with one of their biggest trading partners.

I don't think the US would be so keen on such a war either.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Martinus on September 17, 2012, 09:33:26 AM
Quote from: Lettow77 on September 17, 2012, 08:57:56 AMPanetta's comments here were very lukewarm and unreassuring- he acts as if it isn't clear who is doing the provocations and warmongering, and as if one was not our firm allnazi-loving competitor in the region and the other our strategic enemybiggest creditor. This sort of behaviour strikes me as being encouraging to China.

FYPFY.
Incorrect. China is not the US' biggest creditor.
PDH!

CountDeMoney

Nah.  NATO not necessary.  The defense pact is between the US and Japan.  Euroweenies have no dog in the fight.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 17, 2012, 09:50:52 AM

Nah.  NATO not necessary.  The defense pact is between the US and Japan.  Euroweenies have no dog in the fight.
Nor a fighting spirit or military.
PDH!

Grey Fox

All that's good until a run away balloon bombs US Soil. You won't use Clause #5 then?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.