News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

25 years old and deep in debt

Started by CountDeMoney, September 10, 2012, 10:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaCroix

also, gomez received his masters from university of south florida, which appears to have a pretty mediocre business program. connections obtained by going to elite schools and the school's reputation both go a long way to making the degree worthwhile. it's not the only factor, since individual drive and ability are huge factor. but those who get accepted into elite schools tend to (on average) have more drive, ability, etc.

why fault the school for providing a tool rather than the individual for failing to use that tool?

garbon

Quote from: LaCroix on October 12, 2014, 01:54:38 PM
why fault the school for providing a tool rather than the individual for failing to use that tool?

It's rather predatory on the part of a school to be offering up a tool at a price that most can't afford. Though I guess maybe that is on the source of the loans.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on October 12, 2014, 01:50:12 PM
Actually I doubt I get anything with my votes. Not a single GOP candidate I've ever voted for, for any position, has ever been elected.
We need more people like you in this country.  :hug:

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

LaCroix

Quote from: garbon on October 12, 2014, 02:05:48 PMIt's rather predatory on the part of a school to be offering up a tool at a price that most can't afford. Though I guess maybe that is on the source of the loans.

sure, if universities could offer degrees for substantially lower tuition without diminishing the quality of education. i don't know all the factors that go into tuition costs, though. but also, there's some level of risk to higher education, and it's up to the individual to mitigate as much of that risk as he can.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 12, 2014, 11:44:12 AM
And the shareholders lived happily ever after.

There.  There's you fucking answer.  Cunt.

I thought MBAs were the cause of all our problems and we were supposed to hope for their destruction.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 12, 2014, 02:49:19 PM
I thought MBAs were the cause of all our problems and we were supposed to hope for their destruction.

Mere foot soldiers.

garbon

Quote from: LaCroix on October 12, 2014, 02:18:57 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 12, 2014, 02:05:48 PMIt's rather predatory on the part of a school to be offering up a tool at a price that most can't afford. Though I guess maybe that is on the source of the loans.

sure, if universities could offer degrees for substantially lower tuition without diminishing the quality of education. i don't know all the factors that go into tuition costs, though. but also, there's some level of risk to higher education, and it's up to the individual to mitigate as much of that risk as he can.

Sure. Though if we except for the moment the premise that many students are now carrying debts that are negatively affecting their standards of living - and that many of those students will never effectively service all of their debt, one could begin to wonder if this isn't a situation that needs an overseer.  While society can easily blame one individual for poor choices, when that same poor choice is replicated by several thousands - you have to wonder if that's a choice we should allow people to be making.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on October 12, 2014, 04:13:27 PM
Sure. Though if we except for the moment the premise that many students are now carrying debts that are negatively affecting their standards of living - and that many of those students will never effectively service all of their debt, one could begin to wonder if this isn't a situation that needs an overseer.  While society can easily blame one individual for poor choices, when that same poor choice is replicated by several thousands - you have to wonder if that's a choice we should allow people to be making.

Unfortunately, too many people went back to school at once to increase their employment chances after 2008 during the period when government subsidies for higher ed drop resulting in skyrocketing tuition rates at the precisely the same time businesses and government decided not to hire anybody anymore. 

But it's a lot easier to blame the poor fucks that were stupid enough to go back to college figuring that would increase their value than the economy that doesn't offer enough jobs.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 12, 2014, 04:22:15 PM
But it's a lot easier to blame the poor fucks that were stupid enough to go back to college figuring that would increase their value than the economy that doesn't offer enough jobs.

Well if you don't have money, probably not a good idea to take more than 100k in loans.

LaCroix

Quote from: garbon on October 12, 2014, 04:13:27 PMSure. Though if we except for the moment the premise that many students are now carrying debts that are negatively affecting their standards of living - and that many of those students will never effectively service all of their debt, one could begin to wonder if this isn't a situation that needs an overseer.  While society can easily blame one individual for poor choices, when that same poor choice is replicated by several thousands - you have to wonder if that's a choice we should allow people to be making.

i don't know how it would be regulated. banning higher education to those with poor high school grades (or whatever other factor) would be awful, IMO. while some people lose out, some others are given opportunities they never would have had if they hadn't gone to college or entered a graduate/professional program.

also, who knows, maybe things aren't as bad as the articles say. anecdotal stories aside, today's 150k in debt poor unemployed post-graduate might be much better off thanks to his degree twenty years down the road.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on October 12, 2014, 04:40:14 PM

Well if you don't have money, probably not a good idea to take more than 100k in loans.

What about when they do have the money, like a lot of these professionals did that were dealing with their loans just fine until they lost their jobs, homes and retirements?   Not all of these filthy useless assfucks are taking out 150K in graduate student loans AFTER they're unemployed.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: LaCroix on October 12, 2014, 04:52:19 PM
also, who knows, maybe things aren't as bad as the articles say. anecdotal stories aside, today's 150k in debt poor unemployed post-graduate might be much better off thanks to his degree twenty years down the road.

And what of the ones that will be dead twenty years down the road?

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 12, 2014, 04:59:49 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 12, 2014, 04:40:14 PM

What about when they do have the money, like a lot of these professionals did that were dealing with their loans just fine until they lost their jobs, homes and retirements?   Not all of these filthy useless assfucks are taking out 150K in graduate student loans AFTER they're unemployed.

They should taken a better assessment of the state of their finances and potential risks?

Tonitrus

To tackle one of the other anecdotes from that article...it seems working for 30 years at one of the major blue chip tech firms doesn't do much for that retirement nest egg.