News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Here Languish Stands game thread

Started by Solmyr, June 12, 2012, 02:15:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ulmont

Quote from: Tamas on June 23, 2012, 04:47:20 PM
the Leauge is NOT a mandatory event yet. Why? Because it CANNOT be played as an event due to prerequisites

It's still a mandatory event, Tamas, just one that can't fire yet.  You couldn't hold it until next turn, either.

Solmyr

What ulmont said. It still has to be played, but does nothing except give you 2 cp.

Tamas

So why is it bad that I discarded it for 2cp?

Solmyr

Because you cannot discard mandatory events to keep the mercs.

Viking

Quote from: Tamas on June 23, 2012, 05:42:12 PM
So why is it bad that I discarded it for 2cp?

Just imagine you discarding the card just before the event goes "live" to prevent it from happening? The rule is to prevent gamey play like that.

I'm sorry, but it's gonna be your mercs or the über card you have on hand.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

I'm inclined to just do my turn since nothing anybody else can or might want to do will affect my choice. Right now the remaining bits are

Tamas re-discard
Pope Turn
Protestant Turn (he has to see cards before he knows if he is going to pick them up/Presumably Tamas has printing press on hand)
Ottoman Turn (foreign wars need resolution and if I have any leftover cp I'll build some cavalry or corsairs)
Hapsburg Turn (spending his measly 2 cp exploration/colony/build ship/build army/hire merc)

I'm just gonna play my turn (out of sequence) and then wait until we get new cards....

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

Seriously, WTF missed with everythign in persia? Failure of leadership.

I'll do my winter when everybody else has played their cards.

I pass out my turn.

sbr

That's what you get for going out of turn.

ulmont

I suspect the Prots are the only one going to play any more this turn, after Tamas unfucks his play, but if Max and Sbr could confirm (Sbr, you have a new pope now - which should be drawn from the deck and placed on the power card in ACTS - and as a result, you can save a card).

sbr

Quote from: ulmont on June 23, 2012, 07:05:57 PM
I suspect the Prots are the only one going to play any more this turn, after Tamas unfucks his play, but if Max and Sbr could confirm (Sbr, you have a new pope now - which should be drawn from the deck and placed on the power card in ACTS - and as a result, you can save a card).

I have one more card and I will play it this turn.

And I did put Clement's card out on CB.  I assume that is what you meant, and not ACTS.

Viking

Quote from: sbr on June 23, 2012, 06:44:13 PM
That's what you get for going out of turn.

I was just trying to save us all time  :cry:

ulmont

Sbr, yeah, I meant cb.  Just didn't see it in my file, not that I had bothered updating.

Tamas

I am still not getting why I cannot play that card for 2CPs. Because that what this discard entails.  I am not preventing ANYTHING by discarding it. It is not different than playing it as OPS when the Protestants have, say, 11 spaces.

So I am not changing my play unless somebody proves that it is okay to get rid of it for 2cps, but it is not okay to get rid of it for 2cps.

Viking

Quote from: Tamas on June 24, 2012, 03:04:44 AM
I am still not getting why I cannot play that card for 2CPs. Because that what this discard entails.  I am not preventing ANYTHING by discarding it. It is not different than playing it as OPS when the Protestants have, say, 11 spaces.

So I am not changing my play unless somebody proves that it is okay to get rid of it for 2cps, but it is not okay to get rid of it for 2cps.

Proof? Here it is in the card's text.

Quote87   2 / Mercenaries Demand Pay
Target power loses all mercenaries unless they discard a card immediately. (Home cards may be used; mandatory events may not). Value of card determines number of mercenaries kept (target power chooses which are kept): 1 CP = 2 units; 2 CP = 4 units; 3 CP = 6 units; 4 CP = 10 units; 5 or 6 CP = all units retained.

Tamas

GODDAMIT!

:P

Ok, Unpaid Mercenaries are discarded to keep my mercs (heh).

Schalmalkadic Leauge played to send an explorer, please next one to make a move indicate it on the map.

Fun turn, I spent it ruining the Ottomans, but before I could capitalize on it, the Protestant spent his turn ruining mine.
A totally wasted turn for everyone except France and the Papacy.