Climate Change about to become major issue in Canada

Started by crazy canuck, March 05, 2012, 12:55:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

If something is not done about this Grallon may yet get is revolution.

QuoteNew research suggests skating and hockey could become indoor-only activities in parts of the country. The Canadian-led study warns climate change could threaten the future of outdoor rinks

Jacob

The BBC reported it as saying that this could mean the end of traditional street hockey games. Which is sort of funny.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on March 05, 2012, 12:57:01 PM
The BBC reported it as saying that this could mean the end of traditional street hockey games. Which is sort of funny.

:lol:

What, dont you flood and freeze your street so the kids can play street hockey?  Most Canadians now have a long enough hose attached to their igloo for such things dont they?

Neil

Awesome.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 05, 2012, 01:00:15 PM

What, dont you flood and freeze your street so the kids can play street hockey?

January 24th, 2012, near Quebec city.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Iormlund

I've always wanted to play ice hockey. Not much chance though, closest ice rink is 160 km away. :(

HVC

Some places banned street hockey becasue of danger to kids. guess kids forgot how to yell "car!" since i was young. I used to love street hoceky as a kid.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Malthus

It is true we have had a succession of extremely mild winters. But that could be merely random variation.

Of greater concern is the fact, noted by my dad among others, that southern species of animals are moving north - this indicates that long-term change has been noticable in one lifetime. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: Iormlund on March 05, 2012, 02:31:27 PM
I've always wanted to play ice hockey. Not much chance though, closest ice rink is 160 km away. :(

Your answer is clear.  You need to start a game of street hockey in Spain.

What's the Spanish word for "car"? :hmm:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on March 05, 2012, 02:55:02 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on March 05, 2012, 02:31:27 PM

Your answer is clear.  You need to start a game of street hockey in Spain.

What's the Spanish word for "car"? :hmm:
if it's like portuguese, then it's "carro"*. All they have to do is and a "eh" to the end it and it'll be just like canada :weep:.

*which sounds similar to "caro", which means expensive. Probably a coincidence, but amusing just the same.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

HVC

Quote from: Malthus on March 05, 2012, 02:50:10 PM
It is true we have had a succession of extremely mild winters. But that could be merely random variation
what i've notice about this winter is that even when it's not really cold as compared to previous years (say like today's minus 20 with windchill) if feels a hell of a lot colder then it should.

Iormlund

'Coche' would be the usual term in Spain. 'Carro' (from 'carromato' - cart) is used in inferior cultures like Latinamerica. 'Carro' and 'caro' don't sound anywhere near the same. 'Carro' has a strong 'r', which most foreigners cannot pronounce.

I did see some ice a couple weeks ago while driving through some mountain passes. Didn't have any hockey equipment handy though.

HVC

Quote from: Iormlund on March 05, 2012, 03:20:03 PM
'Coche'. 'Carro' and 'caro' don't sound anywhere near the same. 'Carro' has a strong 'r', which most foreigners cannot pronounce.

I did see some ice a couple weeks ago while driving through some mountain passes. Didn't have any hockey equipment handy though.
trust me, to someone who doesn't pseak spanish or portuguese it would sound the same :lol: Carro just has a (more) rolled r.

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on March 05, 2012, 03:18:04 PM
It is true we have had a succession of extremely mild winters. But that could be merely random variation
what i've notice about this winter is that even when it's not really cold as compared to previous years (say like today's minus 20 with windchill) if feels a hell of a lot colder then it should.

Perception of coldness is at least partly subjective and based on the perceived norm. A really cold day in a mild winter feels a lot colder than the same cold day in a winter filled with them.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

It is true we have had a succession of extremely mild winters. But that could be merely random variation.

Of greater concern is the fact, noted by my dad among others, that southern species of animals are moving north - this indicates that long-term change has been noticable in one lifetime.

I thought the fear of losing outdoor rinks was a bit comical.  But you are right, there are much more serious issues.

One need only look at the pine beetle.  Every year the winter cold killed them off so they were not a problem.  Then things warmed up over time and the beetles lived through the winters and began killing trees. Now most Northern mill towns have no supply of timber left after the beetle killed all the pine trees.

Soon those towns will have no economy at all as the last of the salvageable deadwood is coming to an end.