News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Anime Thread

Started by Siege, February 04, 2012, 10:46:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

Why is anime sucking so much these days.
I was watching Tears of Tera, and it sucked.
Everybody recomended it as the greatest thing, and it sucks.

Ok, I understand is a new take on King Arthurs legend, but please.
Here are my complaints:

1- If you gonna have a Roman Empire, why can't it be historical, with 4th century CE roman armor, not late medieval 3 quarter armor.
2- Why do the characters wear neo-punk haircuts with "steampunk" clothing?
3- Why do we always have to have the screaming angry teenager and "cute" speaking animal mascot?
4- Why combat can't be realistic, and instead all the dudes have all these near-superpowers?

What a waste. Animation was above average, lots of blood, but too much dialog and too much teen stupidity.
I gave it one star out of five.

What happened with the good shit like Starblazer?
No animals, the ship doctor was a drunkard, lots of sci-fi hard babble-tech, realistic tactis and dramatic situations.

Anyway, post your bitches and complaints, but don't forget to mention any good shit either.
I think the last good anime I watched was Owls Moving Castle.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Darth Wagtaros

Yeah! And what's the deal with airline food?
PDH!

Lettow77

Anime these days? Are you following the latest seasons?

Of this current season i'll admit it's weak compared to it's immediate predecessor. Currently airing anime I am currently watching:

Mirai Nikki- a pulpy action psychological work. It's good fun, and I recommend it to you, siege.
Daily lives of Highschool Boys- A good comedy, but I don't think there is anyone here who'd appreciate it.
Nisemonogatari- The sequal to Bakemonogatari, which is..very unique, and merits looking at. Fanservice, strange directing decisions and odd dialogue.

The previous season had Fate/Zero part 1, which was great, and I am confident that you'd like it. It is the prequel to Fate/Stay Night, which is a good visual novel that received a mediocre anime adaptation. If you have no patience to read the (quite long) visual novel, I don't think there's much harm in just watching the prequel, which is probably the superior work.

I think Spring 2011 was the best anime season that's come around in awhile.

If you are looking for a good movie with military acting and a dark tone/realistic setting, why not try Jin-Roh?

Legend of Galactic Heroes remains the definitive masterpiece on war ever animated.

Oddly enough, all of your description of Star Blazer apply to Irresponsible Captain Tylor, but it's a comedy, so you may or may not like it.

Edit: Since this is also a thread for complaints, they need to quit adapting yuri manga before it's finished. It leads to artificial ends and poor reception that make it simultaneously in need of a second season and less likely to get one. Aoi Hana and Sasameki Koto were both fine, but would have been much better if they'd been released upon the completion of the manga. Jumped the gun to get on the bandwagon of the manga's popularity, and that's the result.

Also, Noitamina seems to have been losing its credibility lately.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on February 04, 2012, 11:25:40 PM
Yeah! And what's the deal with airline food?
Asiana's airline food is fucking great! :mad:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Lettow77

Regarding Tears to Tiara, you realize it's an anime based off an eroge adaptation, right?

This usually means several things:

1) The eroge is superior
2) the plot did not have a high quality standard, because it was an eroge

With a few notable exceptions, visual novels adapted into anime make for poor viewing. Who are these people who recommended it so highly?

Neil

Too much fanservice these days.

Needs more Legend of the Galactic Heroes.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Lettow77

Legend of Galactic Heroes had fanservice, though. 

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Drakken

Lettow77

You don't remember the scene, Neil? It's just one of Reinhard's more moé moments later in the series, with some generic eroge text added in to enhance the mood. I figured you, alone among the forum members, would get it.

Neil

Quote from: Lettow77 on February 05, 2012, 12:03:00 AM
You don't remember the scene, Neil? It's just one of Reinhard's more moé moments later in the series, with some generic eroge text added in to enhance the mood. I figured you, alone among the forum members, would get it.
Yeah, although Reinhard would occasionally have those moments.  His design was a bit of a trend at the time.

I wasn't sure if somebody had made a fly-by-night eroge of the series, as those Japanese are wont to do.

Razgovory

Quote from: Drakken on February 04, 2012, 11:53:59 PM
Creepy as fuck.  :huh:

It's both funny and terrifying.  Also "she" looks like a dude.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Lettow77

It is a he. It is, in fact, the Kaiser of the universe.

Would you love him tenderly, Raz?

Josquius

Quote from: Neil on February 04, 2012, 11:38:22 PM
Too much fanservice these days.

Agreed.
On a student's recommendation I looked up something called Highschool of the Dead. A pretty cool take on the zombie apocolypse scenario.....but so freaking much fanservice thrown in everywhere.
██████
██████
██████