News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Anime Thread

Started by Siege, February 04, 2012, 10:46:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lettow77

Brotherhood is regarded as the better one, yes.

Liking Full Metal Alchemist is sort of plebian, though. Not as bad as One Piece, but still pretty bad.

I agree Lain was overwrought. The director tried too hard to make a work that would be interpreted differently by different people. I think Haibane Renmei was better work by the same people.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Darth Wagtaros

I could never get into it. I wanted to like it. But couldn't.

These days I'm limited to what's on Netflix. Don't see anything there.
PDH!

Lettow77

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 06, 2012, 06:04:46 AM
Quote from: Lettow77 on February 06, 2012, 02:36:54 AM

Liking Full Metal Alchemist is sort of plebian, though.
Why?

There are numerous reasons. Gateway babby's first series, for one. A shonen series at all, for another. Its sheer popularity causes something of a backlash, too.

Mind you, all of these are ameliorated to an extent by the quality of the show.

I may in the future appoint myself the arbiter of good taste in anime around here and announce what good is- at least for the last few years. Siege presents the point that there is a previous generation of anime with which I am not very aware. There is more anime than I can practically see in a lifetime, it seems.

Martim Silva

Quote from: Siege on February 04, 2012, 10:46:52 PM

4- Why combat can't be realistic, and instead all the dudes have all these near-superpowers?

Siege, if you want realistic combat anime, I recommend 'Zipang'. Of course, this being Japan, it is more Naval-oriented, but I believe you will like it.

Here is a brief description of the start of the series:

"The newest, most advanced destroyer in the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force, the JDS Mirai, sets sail from Japan on a training exercise with the United States Navy. Enroute, they encounter a strange meteorological anomaly, causing the Mirai to lose contact with her sister ships. After a short time, the crew detects a fleet approaching, but can barely believe their eyes as a massive battleship passes by them. The crew soon identify it as the Yamato, a ship which was sunk in 1945. As the crew scans with their radar, numerous other ships, including a Nagato class battleship, are sighted. Two destroyers from the unknown fleet attempt to intercept the Mirai, but she manages to escape.

After examining the situation, the crew concludes that the ships they passed are part of the Imperial Japanese Navy and that they have somehow been transported back in time more than 60 years to June 4, 1942, the first day of the Battle of Midway. Knowing that an American attack will soon devastate the four aircraft carriers of the Kido Butai, some Mirai crew members believe that they should intervene, to save the carriers and the 3,000 Japanese lives that will be lost."

Lettow77

Ughhh Zipang

pig disgusting wishy-washy show

moreover, it ends abruptly with no resolution of any sort

Why would you recommend that? Do you really dislike Siege?

Edit: Kusaka is a glorious gentleman worthy of praise and affection, though  :blush:
His resplendent glory wasn't quite enough to save that do-nothing show.

Siege

What's the american name for Zipang?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Lettow77

Zipang's only name is Zipang. Many anime never receive other names other than their originals.

Syt

Quote from: Siege on February 06, 2012, 11:17:10 PM
What's the american name for Zipang?

Japan. Zipang was used in the Middle Ages, I think.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Lettow77

The name Zipang is significant to the series- it represents an idealized, mythic Japan, similar to what early explorers envisioned. It is supposed to be the ideal Japan that can be born of ahistorical actions with historical foresight.

Neil

Which is kind of funny.  The non-defeat of Japan in WWII would be a disaster for modern Japan.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Martim Silva

Quote from: Lettow77 on February 06, 2012, 02:33:27 PM
Ughhh Zipang

pig disgusting wishy-washy show

moreover, it ends abruptly with no resolution of any sort

Why would you recommend that? Do you really dislike Siege?

Edit: Kusaka is a glorious gentleman worthy of praise and affection, though  :blush:
His resplendent glory wasn't quite enough to save that do-nothing show.

Note that the show's emphasis is on the personal stresses and dramas of the crew when facing situations, especially the gunnery officer.

And the show ends at the end of a story arc. It feels incomplete simply because the manga hasn't ended yet (they had run out of source material at the time). There is much story after it, which could be told either in a second season, or by reading the manga.

Quote from: Neil
Which is kind of funny.  The non-defeat of Japan in WWII would be a disaster for modern Japan.

That is one of the decisions facing the crew. Should they risk all they know and their own future by intervening, or should they be loyal to their country above all and act, potentially jeopardizing their own existence?

Lettow77

The manga being ongoing is no excuse. As mentioned earlier in the thread, deciding to make an anime while the manga is ongoing without coming up with some sort of plan for how you want your series resolved is a recipe for disaster. A show's ending makes up an important part of its overall whole- if it simply doesn't have one, it will be judged that way.

For what it's worth though, the manga's ending is dumb butt stupid.