Canada to firmly re-assess its status as a British colony

Started by viper37, August 15, 2011, 08:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on August 08, 2013, 03:35:14 PM
:lol:

Those kind of comments are standard on just about any topic.

Also, it's a bit of a stretch to hold English Canada responsible for Facebook's service and community standards.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on August 08, 2013, 03:56:53 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 08, 2013, 03:35:14 PM
:lol:

Those kind of comments are standard on just about any topic.

Also, it's a bit of a stretch to hold English Canada responsible for Facebook's service and community standards.

They are in on the conspiracy. It was part of an earlier mission statement drafted by Zuckerberg.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on August 08, 2013, 03:32:09 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 08, 2013, 03:09:09 PM
Its hard to tell what might be motivating someone who writes in a comment.  Even harder to try to understand why anyone would read them.  Still harder to comprehend how anyone could make generalized assumptions about a linquistic group from such comments.
it's the fact they are considered acceptable from "respected" newspapers like the Globe&Mail and National Post more than the comments in themselves.

You really think the Editorial Board of the Globe is taking an active hand at reading and "accepting" the comments?  Really?

viper37

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 08, 2013, 03:41:55 PM
Maybe they improved. It's been 12 years or so.
not really, no.  Montrealers are the worst drivers of the province, and confusing road signs on the island and surrounding areas doesn't help one bit.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

We're the best drivers. It takes skills to navigate those roads!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 08, 2013, 04:45:36 PM
You really think the Editorial Board of the Globe is taking an active hand at reading and "accepting" the comments?  Really?
La Presse, Le Devoir, le Journal de Montréal/Québec, Radio-Canada, they all have people reviewing comments posted on their boards.

Besides, I'm pretty sure there are people who select wich letters appear in their comments page, on their print edition.  I don't believe for a minute they are randomly selected.  Not for the Quebec newspapers I read on a regular basis, at the very least.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on August 09, 2013, 10:18:07 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 08, 2013, 04:45:36 PM
La Presse, Le Devoir, le Journal de Montréal/Québec, Radio-Canada, they all have people reviewing comments posted on their boards.

They dont review the comments to censor, they review to enforce whatever online policies they have.  Put it this way Viper, would you really be in favour of a news site censoring points of view they dont agree with?

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 09, 2013, 10:27:07 AM
They dont review the comments to censor, they review to enforce whatever online policies they have.  Put it this way Viper, would you really be in favour of a news site censoring points of view they dont agree with?
I am in favour of a fair policy.  Let's put it that way: what are the odds that I could post an anti-semitic comment on the National Post?  Or that I could blame a particular riot on "niggers who sits on their asses all day long" on the Globe&Mail?  What are the odds the Toronto Sun would let a comment slip by where I say it's a good thing there's a flood in Calgary, so that the more Albertans are drowned the better the country will be?

It will be censored.

But if it's against Quebec, it ain't.

And we got editorials&columns like I previously posted.  Regularly.  Heck, a columnist of the National Post blamed law 101 and the racism of Quebecois for the Polytechnique and Dawson College shootout.  Let's try something like that in a Quebec newspaper next time there's shootout in Toronto, blaming the Ontarians for not integrating their immigrants and disrespecting them.

crazy canuck

Viper do you not see the difference between someone usingl a racial slur and a comment about politics in Quebec?

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 09, 2013, 11:56:25 AM
Viper do you not see the difference between someone usingl a racial slur and a comment about politics in Quebec?
I do, but I'm not sure you do...

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

LaCroix

who really cares about language? i mean, besides the obvious

garbon

Quote from: LaCroix on August 10, 2013, 06:34:37 AM

Were you drunk when you made this insightful post?

HVC

Quote from: garbon on August 10, 2013, 09:39:45 AM
Quote from: LaCroix on August 10, 2013, 06:34:37 AM

Were you drunk when you made this insightful post?
there are no points except the obvious points :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.