Breaking News - Major Terrorist Attack In Oslo, Norway

Started by mongers, July 22, 2011, 09:16:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Are you guys still accessing his writings and websites and shit?

Over here, we take that shit down macht schnell.

Slargos

Quote from: Viking on July 24, 2011, 04:16:17 AM

ABB and me agree on many of the things we are against; delegitimization of western culture and values; obfuscation of the nature of truth (basically we are both against multi-culturalism and post-modernism). Where me and him differ are on the issue we are for. He is a conservative christian I am a liberal atheist.

The more I read what he has compiled, the more I come to the same conclusion. The man makes very good points. In light of his beliefs the attack itself can even become perfectly reasonable.

It is a disturbing thought.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Slargos on July 24, 2011, 06:26:29 AM

ABB and me agree on many of the things we are against; delegitimization of western culture and values; obfuscation of the nature of truth (basically we are both against multi-culturalism and post-modernism). Where me and him differ are on the issue we are for. He is a conservative christian I am a liberal atheist.

The more I read what he has compiled, the more I come to the same conclusion. The man makes very good points. In light of his beliefs the attack itself can even become perfectly reasonable.

This is why we take that shit down.  Morons like you.

Viking

My local newspaper says that there are still 4 people missing from Trondheim and 8 (including the four) from the region in total. Add that to the 12 missing from Nordland, that means South Trøndelag AUF, North Trøndelag AUF and Nordland AUF have together still 20 kids missing. Note, these provinces are some of the furthest from Oslo and not heavily populated. What a place like Oslo AUF might have of still missing I can only guess.

The police still are not releasing any info about the number of kids still missing. 3 out of 21 states have a total of 20 still missing.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Slargos

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 24, 2011, 06:21:41 AM
Are you guys still accessing his writings and websites and shit?

Over here, we take that shit down macht schnell.

It's on youtube and a bunch of filesharing sites. You can't take it down as quickly as it can be put up without employing some sort of adaptive robot, since people will "omg information wantz friidom".

Slargos

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 24, 2011, 06:28:07 AM
Quote from: Slargos on July 24, 2011, 06:26:29 AM

This is why we take that shit down.  Morons like you.

Don't knock it until you've read it.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Tamas on July 24, 2011, 06:04:17 AM
Altough MiM's take on the issue clearly shows he has no idea on how pussified Europe actually is (which is of course nice until someone, like this dude, decides to take advantage of it) and I am not calling for armed guards in youth camps, there are appaling things here.

They stuffed 600 young people to a tiny island, and either had no plans for evacuation, or were too in panic to even try and enact them, not sure which is worse. And if the camp leader indeed fled? Wow.

Yes, a quick check reveals that the homicide rate in Norway is 0.6 per 100,000 inhabitants compared to the USA's 5.0 per 100,000. Even with this massacre their rate for this year will still only be half that of the USA.

So the security situation is very different and issuing handguns to all and sundry could well lead to far more deaths on average.

This situation makes people pretty vulnerable when an armed person runs amok. We have an incident like this every few years or so in the UK, but the perpetrator usually gets taken out after a dozen killings or so. The island is not that far from Oslo, seems to me that the camp leaders could have phoned the cops and got a helicopter-full of armed police there pretty quick..................why didn't that happen?

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Bluebook

Quote from: Viking on July 24, 2011, 06:14:43 AM
Quote from: Bluebook on July 24, 2011, 06:07:27 AM
Quote from: Viking on July 24, 2011, 05:43:18 AM
He brought the boat close into the shore of the island, and came with the land with binoculars to look for mass killing her husband.

What?

Google Translate, you're gonna have to use a bit of goodwill.

QuoteHan førte båten nært inn mot land av øya, og fulgte med mot land med en kikkert for å se etter massedrapsmannen

= He brought the boat close to the shore of the island and with a pair of binoculars to look out for the mass murderer.

Ah, thanks.

By the way, did you guys see this from his journal?

I continued to synthesize acetylsalicylic acid from aspirin.
It's the Eurovision finale today. I just love Eurovision...!:-) It's a lot of crap music but I think it's a
great show all in all. I've seen all the semi finals and will take the time of to watch it later today,
online. My country has a crap, politically correct contribution as always. An asylum seeker from
Kenya, performing a bongo song, very representative of Europe and my country... In any case; I
hope Germany wins!

Slargos

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 24, 2011, 06:33:24 AM
Quote from: Tamas on July 24, 2011, 06:04:17 AM
Altough MiM's take on the issue clearly shows he has no idea on how pussified Europe actually is (which is of course nice until someone, like this dude, decides to take advantage of it) and I am not calling for armed guards in youth camps, there are appaling things here.

They stuffed 600 young people to a tiny island, and either had no plans for evacuation, or were too in panic to even try and enact them, not sure which is worse. And if the camp leader indeed fled? Wow.

Yes, a quick check reveals that the homicide rate in Norway is 0.6 per 100,000 inhabitants compared to the USA's 5.0 per 100,000. Even with this massacre their rate for this year will still only be half that of the USA.

So the security situation is very different and issuing handguns to all and sundry could well lead to far more deaths on average.

This situation makes people pretty vulnerable when an armed person runs amok. We have an incident like this every few years or so in the UK, but the perpetrator usually gets taken out after a dozen killings or so. The island is not that far from Oslo, seems to me that the camp leaders could have phoned the cops and got a helicopter-full of armed police there pretty quick..................why didn't that happen?

The same reason no one thought to tackle him. We as a society are not equipped to deal with these types of situations. This is both a wonderful thing and a terrible curse, since on the island of Dodos, there is peace and plenty for all. However, when you suddenly introduce predators, the sedate creatures have no defense against them.

17:27: Shooting on Utøya gets reported to the local police district.

17:30: Message relayed to the Oslo police operations center.

17:38: Oslo police district receives a request for support from Nordre Buskerud [local] police district.

17:52: First police patrol arrives in the area – has to wait for properly suitable boat.

18:03: Message that boat was on the way

18:09: SWAT is on the mainland

18:25:
SWAT lands on Utøya

18:27:
Perp apprehended.

I expect the problem lies somewhere around 17:52 where instead of going in with whatever piece of lumber that would float (and there would be plenty to go around) they waited for SWAT and gave him another 35 minutes to go around executing people. 25 minutes response time sounds a bit high, frankly, but it can probably be explained by the diversion attack.

I also don't know if there's a contingency plan for the insertion of SWAT via helicopter, but I would expect there isn't.

Slargos

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 24, 2011, 05:12:28 AM
You don't put yourself in charge of 600 kids without the ability to protect them in at least the most minimal way. That's an abrogation of the most basic responsibility.

Question: How do these vehicles get to the island? Is there a causeway that they drive? I saw vans.

Ferries. I would expect the small kind with a loading capacity of 1-3 vehicles.

Slargos

Quote from: Norgy on July 24, 2011, 04:43:12 AM
Lippestad became Lippe City in Google translate?  :lol:

Didn't you notice that it also translates "Oslo" to "New York City" ?  :D

Norgy

Quote from: Slargos on July 24, 2011, 06:19:47 AM
I've already seen calls for more repressive measures against free speech, exactly the opposite of what is necessary.

It's simple reason: Put a lid on a boiling pot and you get a very predictable result.

For once, I am in complete agreement. De-legitimising criticism will lead to more alienation. And I don't think that's bending over for terrorists.

Viking

In a bit of a dick move, the Newspapers published ABB's name before his parents were informed. They learned through the media.

Missing update, it seems that Trondheim is overrepresented in the missing. A total of 25 people are still missing from Utøya.

There were two security guards on the island who are missing. Obviously unarmed and probably dead.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.