And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 05, 2015, 03:02:40 PM
Silly talk about introducing barbaric practices hotlines would not have helped

When we make a mistake – as all governments do – it is important that we acknowledge that mistake and learn from it. We know that you do not expect us to be perfect – but you expect us to work tirelessly, and to be honest, open, and sincere in our efforts to serve the public interest.
;)

what was important was the progress since 2008.  And I would have liked to see the stats from way before that.

So, 10 years of Conservative rule did not damage Canada, contrary to popular belief spread by pro-Liberal media.  It will be nice to see where we stand in 10 more years.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on November 05, 2015, 03:18:33 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 05, 2015, 03:16:14 PM
No civilized state sells milk in bags. :x

Meh.  It's an eastern Canadian thing.  The good parts of the country use cartons like everyone else.
We have cartons too.  More cartons than bags.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

PRC

Quote from: garbon on November 05, 2015, 05:53:00 PM
No, I'm not fussy enough to pour milk into a tablespoon before putting it into my tea. WTF?

Should have said tablespoon-ish, a quick splish of milk.  With the semi-full jug you might wind up with 1/8th of a cup!

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on November 05, 2015, 08:48:31 PM
When we came here back in 79 I was flabbergasted by the milk-in-a-bag concept. Took me a while too to figure out that I should open it AFTER I squeeze into the container. :blush:
where were you from originally? :)

Martinus

Really loving the new Canadian cabinet. Plus, as professional politicians go, Trudeau is kinda hot. Maybe I should move to Canada?

Edit: I mean it's like being British without having a conservative government. Best of both worlds.

Grey Fox

Quote from: viper37 on November 05, 2015, 09:05:09 PM
Quote from: Josephus on November 05, 2015, 08:48:31 PM
When we came here back in 79 I was flabbergasted by the milk-in-a-bag concept. Took me a while too to figure out that I should open it AFTER I squeeze into the container. :blush:
where were you from originally? :)

You really don't pay attention, eh? He's from Malta.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Quote from: PRC on November 05, 2015, 09:05:03 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 05, 2015, 05:53:00 PM
No, I'm not fussy enough to pour milk into a tablespoon before putting it into my tea. WTF?

Should have said tablespoon-ish, a quick splish of milk.  With the semi-full jug you might wind up with 1/8th of a cup!

What? Your difficulties persist when you don't have a full jug of milk - now just semi-full? Look who is limp-wristed now! :o

Though I now understand about the frequency of the issue more..as when we were just talking full containers - apart from the endless calorie consumption household that CC heads, it can't be that many times a year that one is needing to pour milk into tea from a full jug.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Martinus on November 06, 2015, 01:56:58 AM
Really loving the new Canadian cabinet. Plus, as professional politicians go, Trudeau is kinda hot. Maybe I should move to Canada?

Edit: I mean it's like being British without having a conservative government. Best of both worlds.

You and about 70% of the country. His biggest challenge is meeting high expectations.  A cautionary tale is what happened to his father.  He too was a very charasmatic man swept into power in an election against a very uncharasmatic Conservative opponent.  But two years later his government was in crisis.  This Trudeau however has two big advantages.  First, he has the benefit of his father's cautionary example.  Second, and most importantly, he shows no signs of the arrogance his father had.  Partly because he does not consider himself to be an intellectual who should take control.  That difference in style is going cause a significant change in the way we are governed. 

Quick history lessen - Trudeau the elder created an administative office (named the Prime Minister's Office) which quickly took control of most decision making functions and left cabinet ministers, with some exceptions, in a subordinate role.  Trudeau the younger had vowed to reverse that and return to government by cabinet ministers.  So far it looks like he will keep that promise.

Grey Fox

He said it in his post ceremony speech outside Rideau Hall, he seemed pretty adament about it, actually.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 06, 2015, 08:39:18 AM
He said it in his post ceremony speech outside Rideau Hall, he seemed pretty adament about it, actually.

Yes, I have to admit, I am one of those who is very hopeful this government is going to be quite good.

Grey Fox

It is atleast, going to be very different.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 06, 2015, 08:52:16 AM

Yes, I have to admit, I am one of those who is very hopeful this government is going to be quite good.

If he does I suspect he'll quickly find out just why successive Conservative and Liberal governments have tended to concentrate powers at the PMO.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 06, 2015, 07:09:53 AM
You really don't pay attention, eh? He's from Malta.
No, not for that.  Political opinions concern me, not religion, ethnicity or country of origin.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 06, 2015, 08:52:16 AM

given that you voted for him, it's not a surprise  :huh:

viper37

So, we have 5 women Minister of State, with less responsibilities than a full minister and technically, 20k$ less per year.  But now, Trudeau has sworn their salary will be adjusted.   That means we have 5 women occupying functions that require less responsibilities than full ministers but still make the same amount of money in a year.  And that is supposed to be equality?  If it were men in these positions, no one would have even bothered raising the question.