News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on November 06, 2015, 01:05:47 PM
What was the attack on SMB owners again? That all you were basically tax havens for the rich or something?

Quote from: Justin TrudeauWe have to know that a large percentage of small businesses are actually just ways for wealthier Canadians to save on their taxes and we want to reward the people who are actually creating jobs.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

What was the attack on SMB owners again? That all you were basically tax havens for the rich or something?

Along with adding a new tax bracket for incomes of 200k+ to balance the middle class tax cut the Liberals also said they were going to change how the small cap corps rules work.  Small cap corps pay less tax and the Liberals have promised to reduce that tax. But there is the problem.  A large amount of high income earners use small cap companies as part of their tax planning strategies.  So the liberals will be restricting who can actually qualify.

They will most likely be removing the ability of professionals (doctors, lawyers, dentists etc) to qualify.  We were only allowed to qualify relatively recently so this is mainly going to be about closing a loophole.  Malthus and I will have to restructure our affairs (I assume Malthus is taking advantage of this) but we will survive along with all the other professionals who do this.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 06, 2015, 01:14:55 PM

Along with adding a new tax bracket for incomes of 200k+ to balance the middle class tax cut the Liberals also said they were going to change how the small cap corps rules work.  Small cap corps pay less tax and the Liberals have promised to reduce that tax. But there is the problem.  A large amount of high income earners use small cap companies as part of their tax planning strategies.  So the liberals will be restricting who can actually qualify.

They will most likely be removing the ability of professionals (doctors, lawyers, dentists etc) to qualify.  We were only allowed to qualify relatively recently so this is mainly going to be about closing a loophole.  Malthus and I will have to restructure our affairs (I assume Malthus is taking advantage of this) but we will survive along with all the other professionals who do this.
had he meant that, he would have said it.  But he said "the majority".  The majority of SMBs aren't doctors or lawyers.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on November 06, 2015, 01:27:48 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 06, 2015, 01:14:55 PM

had he meant that, he would have said it.  But he said "the majority".  The majority of SMBs aren't doctors or lawyers.

Actually, my guess would be that if you counted up all the small cap professional corporations and holding corps they probably do account for the majority.

Remember we are not just talking about doctors and lawyers - accountants, engineers, dentists etc.  The list is long and has nothing to do with a small business as job generators.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on November 06, 2015, 11:33:36 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 06, 2015, 08:52:16 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on November 06, 2015, 08:39:18 AM
He said it in his post ceremony speech outside Rideau Hall, he seemed pretty adament about it, actually.

Yes, I have to admit, I am one of those who is very hopeful this government is going to be quite good.
given that you voted for him, it's not a surprise  :huh:

You may have missed the fact I reluctantly voted against rather than for.  It is early days but I have been pleasantly surprised and impressed by what I have seen so far. 

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 06, 2015, 01:50:42 PM
He said it in his post ceremony speech outside Rideau Hall, he seemed pretty adament about it, actually.

Yes, I have to admit, I am one of those who is very hopeful this government is going to be quite good.

You may have missed the fact I reluctantly voted against rather than for.  It is early days but I have been pleasantly surprised and impressed by what I have seen so far.

Nevertheless, it's pretty common to want to look for vindication in making the choice you did.  Having voted Liberal, you are somewhat predisposed to deciding what he has done has been positive.

And yes, the opposite is true for me. -_-
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on November 06, 2015, 01:52:20 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 06, 2015, 01:50:42 PM

Nevertheless, it's pretty common to want to look for vindication in making the choice you did.  Having voted Liberal, you are somewhat predisposed to deciding what he has done has been positive.

And yes, the opposite is true for me. -_-

Probably true.  But there is plenty to point to as vindication.

viper37

Good move on scientific communication by the new government.  Though I'm still a little worried by conflicting infos.
In one place, it says scientists can talk directly to the medias, in the other, it says they can talk directly to the medias IF no communication spokesperson is available.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Jacob

It seems the Conservatives are now supporting the inquiry into missing and murdered indigenous women,  considering it "a nonpartisan issue".

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on November 07, 2015, 12:13:52 AM
Good move on scientific communication by the new government.  Though I'm still a little worried by conflicting infos.
In one place, it says scientists can talk directly to the medias, in the other, it says they can talk directly to the medias IF no communication spokesperson is available.

It is going to take a few weeks to dismantle all the conservative messaging.  Yesterday they removed all the information about the conservatives economic plan information posing as government information.

viper37

Nice text on the challenge of accepting so many Syrian refugees:
http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/what-it-takes-to-bring-a-syrian-refugee-to-canada

Canada cannot afford 25 000 refugees
Here, custom officers are saying they can't guarantee the country's security with so many people to evaluate in two months.  Terrorists are likely to get in the cracks.

Again, it proves that despite overblown criticism by leftist medias, the Harper government was dead right.

I just wonder how the Liberal supporters will feel when they start hearing about the horribile conditions in which these immigrants are living in temporary shelters on military bases.  I guess being a refugee in a camp during winter in Canada is an improvement to being a refugee in a turkish camp. We're not helping them and we're not helping ourselves.

Grey Fox

How does it disproves anything?

It's their opinion.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 09, 2015, 04:05:12 PM
How does it disproves anything?

It's their opinion.
the opinion of the people asked to do the job.
Just pure logic should convince you.  You're admitting as much immigrants in two months, from one single country as we allow in a year.  It's gotta hurt somewhere.  Some corners would be rounded, some procedures will be skipped, some budgets will have to be displaced, some compromises will have to be made, like, for every of the 25 000 Syrian we allow until december, someone else will be left to suffer, maybe even die in his home country.

And in the end, it will not change a thing on the ground.

Grey Fox

I do work on the ground, everytime my boss ask me to do something I double the time.

so? those are not reasons to not do it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

Quote from: viper37 on November 09, 2015, 03:23:28 PM
Nice text on the challenge of accepting so many Syrian refugees:
http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/what-it-takes-to-bring-a-syrian-refugee-to-canada

Canada cannot afford 25 000 refugees
Here, custom officers are saying they can't guarantee the country's security with so many people to evaluate in two months.  Terrorists are likely to get in the cracks.

Again, it proves that despite overblown criticism by leftist medias, the Harper government was dead right.

I just wonder how the Liberal supporters will feel when they start hearing about the horribile conditions in which these immigrants are living in temporary shelters on military bases.  I guess being a refugee in a camp during winter in Canada is an improvement to being a refugee in a turkish camp. We're not helping them and we're not helping ourselves.

They'll be proven right when a "terrorist" does get in. Else, they're not proven right at all.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011