News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Neil on May 05, 2011, 04:51:06 PMBut what if your wife is a Tiger Mother?

She's not :)

She's more "tiger" than I am, but not excessively so. I was raised pretty damn laissez-faire, so hopefully we'll find a happy medium.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on May 05, 2011, 04:51:27 PMGo for it sooner rather than later.  You're not getting any younger.

And you may find it isn't as easy as well were all afraid it was back in our teens and twenties. :ph34r:

Oh, I know. But given some personal circumstances, it's probably a good thing we don't have a newborn on our hands. In any case, I had the sense to marry someone a fair bit younger than me, so that gives us a bit of extra time on the biological clock I think. I hope.  :ph34r:

Malthus

My one great regret in life is not having children when I was younger. That's the one thing I wish I could go back in time and tell myself ...
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Monoriu

I have no idea whether we put in more money into the Canadian system than we got out of it.  I got a pretty much free university education.  My fellow local Canadians bitched and whined about the tuition fees, but from my point of view, all that is much cheaper than I would have paid in HK, so I consider it free.  Free healthcare, but we didn't have anything major.  I got GST refunds every quarter :contract:

They taxed my father's HK pension income for four years.  Though he had some sort of special arrangement (perfectly legal, involving the Cayman islands and a bank) and I have no idea how much he actually paid.  We bought a house, two cars, and we spent our HK money there for four years. 

My father was a retiree when he got there.  Mother didn't work.  It was not a family reunion.  We went there by ourselves.  So I guess they were actually banking on me working there after graduation (I was 17 when our application was approved).  If only there were any jobs around  :lol:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Oexmelin on May 05, 2011, 01:52:22 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 05, 2011, 01:45:17 PM
Yeah, that whole health care thing is free.  Not to mention all the other social services we give to everyone.  No cost (if that is what you mean by harm) at all.

Which is why I think we should put a cost on everything. Elections? It costs money. Prisons? Also, money. Education? Money. That way, there are no longer any social issues, and therefore, no threat of social conservatism. Voilà! Everything can be reconciled through the lense of fiscal responsibility! Everyone wins!

;)

I was responding to Valmy's specific comment about the policy being cost free.  If you want to take a cheap shot when I responded to him specifically on that issue be my guest.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 06, 2011, 11:16:38 AM
I was responding to Valmy's specific comment about the policy being cost free.

Yeah that was retarded.  I wasn't thinking.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Oexmelin

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 06, 2011, 11:16:38 AMI was responding to Valmy's specific comment about the policy being cost free.  If you want to take a cheap shot when I responded to him specifically on that issue be my guest.

I know, I know. I didn't want to take a cheap shot, just teasing.  :)
Que le grand cric me croque !

crazy canuck

Quote from: Oexmelin on May 06, 2011, 11:33:43 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 06, 2011, 11:16:38 AMI was responding to Valmy's specific comment about the policy being cost free.  If you want to take a cheap shot when I responded to him specifically on that issue be my guest.

I know, I know. I didn't want to take a cheap shot, just teasing.  :)

:hug:

Josephus

Things are getting nasty in here.  :lol:

I think c-Span parliament sessions  might be fun once again. :D
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 04, 2011, 10:56:39 AM
Quote from: Valmy on May 04, 2011, 10:54:49 AM
Quebec has strong opinions on foreign relations as well eh?

Thanks that clears things up a bit.

We've got a version of most of the Federal gov departments. Tax bureau, Immigration bureau, etc.

as does every province in Canada. I've always contended that PQ already is it's "own nation" It has a different culture, different legal system, etc than other provinces. Personally I think the notion of how Canada is a country could use a little shaking up. but it's not going to happen in any of our lifetimes. Not a snowball's chance in Hawaii. It's all oh poor me I'm oppressed  posturing imo. PQ does it better than any province. Better than the First Nations, or Alberta even. Man up, grow your own economy and do what you want.
:p

Malthus

Quote from: Josephus on May 06, 2011, 12:05:37 PM

Heh, if that NDP part-time bartender can be teased away from Vegas long enough to organize a wet t-shirt contest in the house ...  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josephus

Quote from: Malthus on May 06, 2011, 12:37:30 PM

Heh, if that NDP part-time bartender can be teased away from Vegas long enough to organize a wet t-shirt contest in the house ...  :D

Well...do we really want to see all the other MPs in wet tshirts?  :lol:

Anyways, rumour has it that this chick is currently undergoing intense French immersion.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Malthus

Quote from: Josephus on May 06, 2011, 12:46:02 PM
Quote from: Malthus on May 06, 2011, 12:37:30 PM

Well...do we really want to see all the other MPs in wet tshirts?  :lol:

Anyways, rumour has it that this chick is currently undergoing intense French immersion.

I actually feel kinda sorry for her. From what I've read, she became a "fencepost" basically as a favour to a buddy ... without the slightest intention or expectation of actually winning. Now, her life has turned upside-down.  :lol:

Josephus

Well for $157 K, i dont feel so sorry for her.

You might, though..that's like a week's pay for you.  ;)

crazy canuck

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on May 06, 2011, 12:34:27 PM
as does every province in Canada.

I dont think so.  Quebec has some fairly unique arrangments that would not be a priority for other provinces.