News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Jacob

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Looks like there's another CBC profile in potential trouble. Allegations of serious conflicts of interest against Amanda Lang (a fairly high profile journalist at the CBC) including:

That she tried to scuttle the story on RBC's outsourcing while in a serious relationship with an RBC board member (dealing with HR issues) and while taking well paid speaking engagements with RBC and iGate (the outsourcing company involved in the issue); she invited the CEO and President of RBC on her program and threw him softball questions re: the ongoing scandal to downplay it, while he endorsed her book; that she never disclosed her relationship with the RBC board-member during all of this.

http://canadalandshow.com/article/amanda-lang-tried-sabotage-cbc-story-scandalized-rbc-who-paid-her
http://canadalandshow.com/article/update-amanda-lang-%E2%80%9Cserious-relationship%E2%80%9D-rbc-board-member-while-reporting-rbc

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on January 13, 2015, 12:18:42 AM
Looks like there's another CBC profile in potential trouble. Allegations of serious conflicts of interest against Amanda Lang (a fairly high profile journalist at the CBC) including:

That she tried to scuttle the story on RBC's outsourcing while in a serious relationship with an RBC board member (dealing with HR issues) and while taking well paid speaking engagements with RBC and iGate (the outsourcing company involved in the issue); she invited the CEO and President of RBC on her program and threw him softball questions re: the ongoing scandal to downplay it, while he endorsed her book; that she never disclosed her relationship with the RBC board-member during all of this.

http://canadalandshow.com/article/amanda-lang-tried-sabotage-cbc-story-scandalized-rbc-who-paid-her
http://canadalandshow.com/article/update-amanda-lang-%E2%80%9Cserious-relationship%E2%80%9D-rbc-board-member-while-reporting-rbc

Wrong thread

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 13, 2015, 11:22:46 AM
Wrong thread

It would be polite if you indicated the correct thread.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on January 13, 2015, 12:54:53 PM
Wrong thread

My skill and knowledge is limited to knowing that is this is the inappropriate place.  To find the answer to your question you will need to seek out a person more wise than I. 

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 13, 2015, 04:12:51 PM
Quote from: Jacob on January 13, 2015, 12:54:53 PM
Wrong thread

My skill and knowledge is limited to knowing that is this is the inappropriate place.  To find the answer to your question you will need to seek out a person more wise than I.

Any recommendations?

Alternately, I could just rename this thread to "The Canada Thread".

Barrister

Nah, I like this as the Canadian politics thread.  We're a big country - we deserve more than one thread.

I'm fine with the story being here (CBC is a Crown Corp after all), but it could arguably go in the Jian Ghomeshi thread as well.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Actually, on second thought, it's perfectly appropriate here. The story has a political dimension, since the RBC scandal had a political dimension and political repercussions; much more so than Ghomeshi's antics.

Josephus

In a couple months this thread will be four years old  :)

I'm proud of my little baby.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Neil

I suggest that we rename the thread 'Canadian Politics', that way a scandal at the public broadcaster would fit right in.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on January 13, 2015, 06:40:44 PM
In a couple months this thread will be four years old  :)

I'm proud of my little baby.

:cheers:

Josephus

Can a mod change the title? I think I suggested this a year or two ago. At the time when i started this thread it was to discuss the election four years ago...but it has taken a life of its own.