News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: garbon on August 18, 2013, 10:00:06 PM
Well yes then they'd actually have to confront real issues.
and that would be a bad thing because... ? :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: HVC on August 18, 2013, 10:27:23 PM
I get all your other griping, I don't agree, but I can see where you're coming fun, but I can't understand your weird distaste for the Queen.
Really?  I thought it would have been the easiest part.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on August 19, 2013, 04:44:48 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 19, 2013, 12:03:22 PM
Is that why people like Viper have to find obscure media postings in comment sections of online papers to become enraged.  It is also why Grallon needs to endlessly rant about how the rest of Canada does not like Decentralization based on nothing then his blind faith that his position is in the right?
Globe&Mail and National Post are obscure media now?

Their comments are.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on August 19, 2013, 04:49:36 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 18, 2013, 10:00:06 PM
Well yes then they'd actually have to confront real issues.
and that would be a bad thing because... ? :)

Because from your (particularly Grallon) comments, it doesn't sound like you are ready for that.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: Grallon on August 19, 2013, 11:24:09 AM
They don't want to decentralize and they are the majority in this godsdam federation...   It's because of people like you we're stuck in limbo - not going anywhere and remaining under the thumb of foreigners.   <_<
G.
Some want to decentralize.  You see it when we cam make common grounds.  But usually, they are so insanely scared of seperatists that the only thing the Feds need to do to split them is to say "You know, you're gonna be in the same corner as a seperatist.  Do you really want that?".  Seperatist in English Canada carries about the same weight as "atheist" or "godless" in Southern US, it seems.

And the general incompentence of people like Marois and Gilles Duceppe doesn't help people like me.  I want Quebec to be a prosperous nation.  Inside or outside Canada doesn't make any difference to me anymore.  I want the best deal available, nothing more.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on August 19, 2013, 04:55:18 PM
Is that why people like Viper have to find obscure media postings in comment sections of online papers to become enraged.  It is also why Grallon needs to endlessly rant about how the rest of Canada does not like Decentralization based on nothing then his blind faith that his position is in the right?

Their comments are.
The Editorials.  The Columns.  And the moderated, often racist comments at the bottom of them.

If of course, one chose to ignore such comments, on a moderated site, one could conclude that it is only a "valid criticism of Quebec's policies".  After all, we frequently see editorials in the National Post about how Israel is violating the human rights of its arab minority and trampling the rights of the Palestinians in the occupied terriroties...  Do we?

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on August 19, 2013, 05:05:55 PM
After all, we frequently see editorials in the National Post about how Israel is a fascist regime trempling the rights of Palestinians.

I think there are many people that make arguments in that vein. Hell when I lived in SF, everyday I was accosted by them on the street.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on August 19, 2013, 04:58:40 PM
Because from your (particularly Grallon) comments, it doesn't sound like you are ready for that.
I don't think Quebec is ready for seperation.  Nor do I think it is necessary for now.  I still think we can come to a reasonable agreement with Canada that would let us sign the Constitution.

garbon

Sure once more of the die-hards die off.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on August 19, 2013, 05:08:55 PM
Sure once more of the die-hards die off.

Did you pay attention to the student strikes / protests from last year?

I wouldn't count on the new generation to be any less left-wing. :(
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

fixating on comments made in response to their articles is beyond the pale.

crazy canuck

viper, you and Grallon should get a room.  You are both fond of making up stuff that "English Canada" believes.  I am sure you can play make believe with eachother in a way that will satsify both your needs.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 19, 2013, 05:20:50 PM
viper, you and Grallon should get a room.  You are both fond of making up stuff that "English Canada" believes.  I am sure you can play make believe with eachother in a way that will satsify both your needs.

Vipes isn't young enough for the G-man.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on August 19, 2013, 03:55:28 PM
Harper to prorogue Parliament again: http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2013/08/19/pol-harper-commons-prorogation.html

I guess at this point, prorogation is at the "standard procedural manoeuvre" level.
if you look at the list of parliamentary session in Canada, it's done on average every 2 years.  I don't understand the "evilness" in that, but I seem to have problem understanding you lately.  Care to explain what is bad?

Jacob

Quote from: viper37 on August 19, 2013, 06:42:35 PM
if you look at the list of parliamentary session in Canada, it's done on average every 2 years.  I don't understand the "evilness" in that, but I seem to have problem understanding you lately.  Care to explain what is bad?

I didn't say it was bad. I merely noted that it was happening again and posited, primarily from the lack of brouhaha surrounding it, that it's basically an accepted part of parliamentary manoeuvring at this point.

So pretty similar to our recent conversation where you seemed to ascribe opinions to me that I hadn't expressed (and happened not to hold), and responded to them with some vehemence.