And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on June 17, 2013, 10:26:20 AM
Quote from: Barrister on June 16, 2013, 10:16:58 PM
Yes.  They're pacifists, so resisted he draft.  They're Mennonites, so they would refuse to swear an oath on the Bible.
No one is forced to swear on the Bible.  I didn't during my only time in court.

That wasn't the case 100+ years ago.  In fact the reason it changes was due to religious groups like Hutterites / Mennonites.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grallon

And another federalist scumbag caught!

Here's a solultion - exceptional tribunals and a few dozen scaffolds working 24/7 for a few months - that should help clear the air in this rotting burrough.  <_<

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Jacob

Yes.  They're pacifists, so resisted he draft.  They're Mennonites, so they would refuse to swear an oath on the Bible.

It's almost as if the mores and habits of a country changes over time as the citizenry and their values change. Perhaps in twenty years, or maybe even five, people in Quebec will decide that Sikhs wearing turbans is no big fucking deal; just like you no longer have to swear on the bible in court.

viper37

Quote from: HVC on June 17, 2013, 10:11:34 AM
IIRC this guy was put in place because they kicked the old guy out for corruption. To the montreal poster, does your mayor have any real power, or is he like the Toronto one who can't really do anything?
The old guy was kicked because there was corruption going on and he never seemed to acknowledge it, even try to correct the problem.  Montreal is a leftist city that was governed by a leftist mayor.  As such, holding gay games and aquatic games was more of a priority than correctly managing the public finances of the city.

He was never accused of anything, except of being blind&deaf when everyone around seemed corrupt. No one as named him on anything so far.  But he was no longer the man of the situation.  I just wish we had such power at the provincial or federal level to destitute an MP.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on June 17, 2013, 10:29:47 AM

It's almost as if the mores and habits of a country changes over time as the citizenry and their values change. Perhaps in twenty years, or maybe even five, people in Quebec will decide that Sikhs wearing turbans is no big fucking deal; just like you no longer have to swear on the bible in court.
Possibly, but by then maybe any hat or hair cover will be allowed for anyone playing soccer?

We did remove religion from our public school.  The new course about ethics&religions seems just as dumb though.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on June 17, 2013, 10:28:29 AM

That wasn't the case 100+ years ago.  In fact the reason it changes was due to religious groups like Hutterites / Mennonites.
There aren't that many Mennonites in Quebec ;)

But I agree it must be recent.  I remember that when I was in Elementary school, we were tought that altough we could swear on our honor rather than the Bible, our testimony would be negatively viewed.  Good riddance, imho.

This is the kind of thing I like: make a change and make it for everyone.

viper37

Yes.  They're pacifists, so resisted he draft.
Quebecers resisted the draft too.  We were branded as traitors and people protestiong were arrested.  Did the same happen to them? I guess not.  This is the kind of thing that I dislike: unequal rules& double standards.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on June 17, 2013, 10:35:19 AM
Quote from: Barrister on June 17, 2013, 10:28:29 AM

There aren't that many Mennonites in Quebec ;)

But I agree it must be recent.  I remember that when I was in Elementary school, we were tought that altough we could swear on our honor rather than the Bible, our testimony would be negatively viewed.  Good riddance, imho.

This is the kind of thing I like: make a change and make it for everyone.

Here, you can either "swear" or "affirm", and either are just as valid. No-one gives a shit which you do.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

What does the "ana" in Anabaptist mean?

Serious question.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 17, 2013, 10:43:23 AM
What does the "ana" in Anabaptist mean?

Serious question.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anabaptist

QuoteAnabaptists (from Neo-Latin anabaptista, from the Greek ἀναβαπτισμός: ἀνά- "over again" and βαπτισμός "baptism")

The name Anabaptist is derived from the Greek term anabaptista, or "one who baptizes over again."
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on June 17, 2013, 10:37:34 AM
Quebecers resisted the draft too.  We were branded as traitors and people protestiong were arrested.  Did the same happen to them? I guess not.  This is the kind of thing that I dislike: unequal rules& double standards.

Perhaps you should actually do some research instead of just assuming.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on June 17, 2013, 10:39:55 AM
Here, you can either "swear" or "affirm", and either are just as valid. No-one gives a shit which you do.

But the point is that is a recent change.  Well I guess I shouldnt say recent since I am starting to get on in age but it had been a recent change when I started practicing law.  Prior to that one could affirm but there was some question whether the affirmation carried the same weight as an oath.

Jacob's point is a good one.  The change occurred to accomodate a then minority group who did not with to swear an oath on the bible.  Now it is very common to see.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on June 17, 2013, 10:39:55 AM
yes, but I'm talking about something I was told 30 years ago :)
I know it does not make a difference today.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on June 17, 2013, 11:18:10 AM
Quote from: viper37 on June 17, 2013, 10:37:34 AM

Perhaps you should actually do some research instead of just assuming.
But you said they were treated differently.  I assumed they were given a free pass on resisiting the draft.  Otherwise, they received the same treatment as everyone else... 

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 17, 2013, 11:35:50 AM
Jacob's point is a good one.  The change occurred to accomodate a then minority group who did not with to swear an oath on the bible.  Now it is very common to see.
But the change was for everyone.  It wasn't exclusively for non christians.  You could be Christian and not swear on the Bible.  Equal treatment for everyone.