And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: viper37 on June 15, 2013, 10:13:01 PM
Quote from: Neil on June 15, 2013, 12:46:59 PM
To be fair, celebrating Christmas isn't actually offensive to non-christians.
and who are you to decide?  Some people say they are offended.  You are intolerant of not thinking like them.
I am that which I am.  And I don't care about the sort of scum who would be offended by celebrating Christmas.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on June 15, 2013, 10:15:43 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 15, 2013, 04:53:40 PM
As long as it isn't harming anyone else, then they're free to do it.
Quote from: Barrister on June 15, 2013, 04:53:40 PM
Quote from: viper37 on June 15, 2013, 03:58:58 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 15, 2013, 12:00:08 PM
Lastly, the particularly silly part was what you suggested you might as well do if you consider all cultures to be equal in a country.
Not all cultures are equal in a country, I do not believe that.  When people take every step necessary to not integrate in a society, it's bound for disaster and all you see is the appearance of extreme right political parties seeking ban on all immigration.

Immigrants should integrate to their new society, not the opposite.  Minor accomodations are possible.  Teaching people our languages is fine.  Helping them survive until they are able to find themselves a job is great. 

But allowing people to express religious beliefs continually in public, especially if there are dangers to the society (having a burka on to vote or for driving being examples, the kirpan being another) is a big no-no in my case.  No prayers in political assembly either, despite the appeal court's ruling on the subject.  Rights are for everyone, not for specific individuals.  If I have the right to do something, so have you.  But the opposite is also true.

Nobody tells you how to live your life.  But in some cases, there are rules to follow, and they should be the same for everyone otherwise it's chaos.

Bullshit.

We went to the farmers market today, and bought some veggies from a local Hutterite colony.  They are a religious minority who has taken every step not to integrate into the wider society.  And despite coming to Canada about 100 years ago, they still have a very distinct language and culture.  And you know what?  As long as it isn't harming anyone else, then they're free to do it.
Did they ask for any accomodation, any specific treatment that no one else can have?

Yes.  They're pacifists, so resisted he draft.  They're Mennonites, so they would refuse to swear an oath on the Bible.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Anglo biased media strikes again. Just heard the mayor of Montreal was arrested for corruption

Canadian mayors: more fun then they used to be.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on June 17, 2013, 07:54:36 AM
Anglo biased media strikes again. Just heard the mayor of Montreal was arrested for corruption

Holy shit, you are right.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/story/2013/06/17/montreal-michael-applebaum-taken-into-custody.html

This was the guy who was supposed to be the answer to Montreal's corruption problems ...  :(

Course, usual disclaimer about an accusation not being proof. But damn.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Maximus

Quote from: Barrister on June 16, 2013, 10:16:58 PM
Yes.  They're pacifists, so resisted he draft.  They're Mennonites, so they would refuse to swear an oath on the Bible.

Hutterites are not Mennonites, although they do share some beliefs, such as pacifism.

Also apparently no swearing of oaths. You would know that one better than I.

They both stem from the Anabaptist movement along with the Amish and others.

Malthus

Quote from: Maximus on June 17, 2013, 09:02:01 AM

Hutterites are not Mennonites, although they do share some beliefs, such as pacifism.

Also apparently no swearing of oaths. You would know that one better than I.

They both stem from the Anabaptist movement along with the Amish and others.

I guess having one's leaders hung in iron cages would tend to incline one towards pacifism.  ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%BCnster_Rebellion

What's amazing to me is that the cages are still there. Odd decoration for a church ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Muenster_Lamberti_Koerbe_6428.jpg
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Caliga

Quote from: Malthus on June 17, 2013, 08:58:04 AM

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/story/2013/06/17/montreal-michael-applebaum-taken-into-custody.html

This was the guy who was supposed to be the answer to Montreal's corruption problems ...  :(

J'ACCUSE! :mad:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on June 17, 2013, 09:19:26 AM

J'ACCUSE! :mad:

MAH KICKBACKS

Maximus

Quote from: Malthus on June 17, 2013, 09:16:41 AM
I guess having one's leaders hung in iron cages would tend to incline one towards pacifism.  ;)
They were pacifist from the start. The Munster group was an offshoot.

Ed Anger

They make fantastic pies. The Amish and Mennonites that is.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Caliga

Quote from: Maximus on June 17, 2013, 09:22:51 AM
Quote from: Malthus on June 17, 2013, 09:16:41 AM
They were pacifist from the start. The Munster group was an offshoot.
My dad's ancestors were pretty much all Anabaptists.  One of them was beheaded and another one was burned alive. :)

HVC

IIRC this guy was put in place because they kicked the old guy out for corruption. To the montreal poster, does your mayor have any real power, or is he like the Toronto one who can't really do anything?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

No one is forced to swear on the Bible.  I didn't during my only time in court.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.