News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Oexmelin on March 23, 2012, 03:53:14 PM
But there is a positive element to vocally manifesting your approval to something - especially when it is contentious - rather than letting the undercurrent of fear, that so many employers are happy to diffuse, to be individually felt. 

Rambo fully agrees with you.  And all the FTQ leadership.

So long as union votes are "vocal" and people can be easily identified, union terror and intimidation will continue.  Just as with students union, where they re-pass the votes 2-3 times until they get the strike vote they want. Or they move it to a small room with insufficient place for everyone who wants to vote.

It's not like democracy can't be perverted.  And the last two years have shown us that, at least one major unions isn't too keen on democracy when it doesn't give the desired results.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Oexmelin on March 23, 2012, 04:30:37 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 23, 2012, 04:01:37 PM
Bullshit.  There are strong laws against an employer doing anything to dissuade an employee from joining a union.  If the labour board finds an employer is guilty of an unfair labour practice - such as this - then certification is automatic.

And I could reply "Bullshit. There are strong laws against union members doing anything to pressure employees into joining a union. If the labour board finds that accreditation cards have been been tampered with, then a secret vote is automatic". Which is how it is supposed to be done in Quebec.
as we have seen yesterday, this law will never be effective.  If they couldn't convict Rambo, I doubt they'll be able to convict anyone.  "Surprisingly" all of the witnesses testimony was rejected by the judge who sided with Gauthier.
It's official, there's no union intimidation in Quebec, it's all lies.

Where as... I can remember a few judgements against employers for anti-union practice.  Like this one:
http://lapresseaffaires.cyberpresse.ca/economie/commerce-de-detail/200909/23/01-904554-wal-mart-en-appellera-de-sa-condamnation.php

Or the public pressure against Wal-Mart or Couche-Tard.  Where's the public pressure against union intimidation?  Aside the bogus inquiry, I mean?  Anger is directed at the Liberal party, not the union. 

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

here's another inspiring tale of unionism in Quebec:
http://www.journaldemontreal.com/2012/03/23/la-ministre-ordonne-une-enquete

(Summary: workers pay 150-250$ cash each week to a union leader to have the right to work, or else they're thrown out of the site)

Josephus

That's not unionism though. That's just mob led extortion under another name.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

citizen k

Quote from: Josephus on March 24, 2012, 05:55:20 PM
That's just mob led extortion under another name.

Which is borne out of the natural evolution of unionism.

Ancient Demon

Quote from: Oexmelin on March 23, 2012, 03:53:14 PM
Does that make the process of union accreditation exempt from problems? Of course not. But there is a positive element to vocally manifesting your approval to something - especially when it is contentious - rather than letting the undercurrent of fear, that so many employers are happy to diffuse, to be individually felt.

Perhaps I misunderstand, but are you implying that the secret ballot method is unfairly biased in favour of the employer? That employees are more subject to intimidation and fear under this method than the other?
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Oexmelin on March 23, 2012, 04:30:37 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 23, 2012, 04:01:37 PM
Bullshit.  There are strong laws against an employer doing anything to dissuade an employee from joining a union.  If the labour board finds an employer is guilty of an unfair labour practice - such as this - then certification is automatic.

And I could reply "Bullshit. There are strong laws against union members doing anything to pressure employees into joining a union.

You could but you didnt because you would be wrong. ;)

There are no laws which prohibit a union from convincing an employee from joining a union.   Indeed quite the reverse.  The law allows unions to have the freedom to communicate with any non union employee a union may wish to speak to for the purpose of convincing that employee to join the union so long as it is not done on the employers property.

It is the employer who is prohibited from attempting to persuade the employee not to join a union.

Both sides are prohibited from engaging in acts of coercion but that is little comfort to an employee who must disclose how they are voting both to the union and most importantly to his/her co-workers (some of whom will be actively organizing on behalf of the union).  One must have very large blinders to ignore the ramifications of that.

QuoteIf the labour board finds that accreditation cards have been been tampered with, then a secret vote is automatic". Which is how it is supposed to be done in Quebec.

That is astounding to me.  Under Quebec law a union can illegally alter a vote and the only remedy is that a fair vote is then held?  Where is the decincentive to unions trying to cheat?  If they get caught the worst they get is a redo.  I suspect you may be missing other remedies in the legislation.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on March 25, 2012, 10:04:04 AM
Ladies and gentlemen, Canada's new Leader of the Opposition and our next Dear Leader, prime minister.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/politics/article/1151416--ndp-leadership-thomas-mulcair-grabs-lead-in-first-ballot?bn=1

I thought that was the best choice for them.  That is probably why I am now reading so many reports of NDP people leaving.   :D

Barrister

I passed the Wildrose bus this morning on my way to work.

Sadly they have removed the tire cleavage already. :(
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

So much for their chance at electoral success.

Neil

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 26, 2012, 01:16:51 PM
So much for their chance at electoral success.
Maybe they can split the vote enough for a proper party to win.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Jacob

Quote from: Neil on March 26, 2012, 01:57:04 PM

I'm not up on the current state of Neilism in Albertan politics. What's a proper party in this context?

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on March 26, 2012, 02:04:09 PM
Quote from: Neil on March 26, 2012, 01:57:04 PM

I'm not up on the current state of Neilism in Albertan politics. What's a proper party in this context?

I was wondering that myself. :hmm:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josephus