News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

And more good fiscal news out of Alberta.

QuoteThe bonanza that will define Alberta's finances this year starts to take shape this week with a fiscal update that will forecast the province's surplus at more than $13-billion, instead of the $515-million predicted at the beginning of this year.

Does this make it easier or harder for the NDP to come back to power?

And I suppose you have to feel a bit sorry for Jason Kenney, if he had stuck it out a bit longer he might have turned his political fortunes around based on this good economic news.

Barrister

Goddammit - I submitted my CPC leadership ballot yesterday.

I voted for fucking Jean Charest as my first choice.

He's a corrupt POS, but at least he isn't playing footsie with anti-vaxxers and insurrectionists.  He's just old-fashioned corrupt.

Polievre is still going to win, but I just want him to not have to strong a mandate.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 28, 2022, 04:42:54 PMWe're having elections  :D  This is going to be a good 35 day campaign. I'm excited.
I can see Québec Solidaire is becoming quite the Bourgeois party now, eliminating sales tax on restaurants and clothing, that will benefit some more than others.  Well, my wallet kinda like the idea of eliminating that sales tax on my restaurant bills :P

It is however, unfair competition for prepared meals in grocery stores.  And an idea that obviously benefits the rich much more than the poor as they consume more.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on August 31, 2022, 02:44:04 PMGoddammit - I submitted my CPC leadership ballot yesterday.

He's a corrupt POS, but at least he isn't playing footsie with anti-vaxxers and insurrectionists.  He's just old-fashioned corrupt.

Polievre is still going to win, but I just want him to not have to strong a mandate.

I would have done the same. Any candidate that can make us both vote for him is the right choice.

:lol:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on August 31, 2022, 02:44:04 PMGoddammit - I submitted my CPC leadership ballot yesterday.

Yeah, I can't resign myself to vote CPC in the general election if Poilievre wins. :(

And I'm contemplating voting for the QLP at this election.  A distant family relative is the relative.  Not a bad chap.  The previous CAQ candidate was very bad, but she quitted as of 2 weeks ago. That's one of the reason that pushed this current Liberal candidate to resign from the CAQ and move over to this party.  Many people quitted the party since she came aboard, sadly.  Didn't get along with her staff, her militants, the regional mayors, the MRC prefects...  But she's the victim of a vendetta, she claims, because she's a woman in politics.  :hmm:

Might still vote for the best party.  The Libs don't stand a chance in the riding, they will backstab their candidate for sure, they likely promise to refund his expenses even if he didn't meet the 15% threshold, so I'm tented to vote for him, help him reach that.  I think he deserves it, just for making the jump.   Anglade deserves nothings but scorn, but I still have a modicum of sympathy for those who choose to defend regional economic interests.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

If you want to see whom you'd vote for in Quebec's general election, you can try this nifty little tool:
https://votecompass.cbc.ca/quebec2022

I'm leaning CAQ, close to PCQ.  Obviously, they go only to the written platforms, not the public comments of the individual candidates :)

Grey Fox

According to the tool I should vote Green party. I won't. I don't trust those assholes.

My GF summed up our household political position the other night. "In the words of Biz - "Libérez-nous des Libéraux""

Sheilbh

:hmm:
QuoteQuébec solidaire (QS) 69%

Quebec Liberal Party (PLQ) 64%

Green Party of Quebec (PVQ) 61%

Parti Québécois (PQ) 61%

Coalition Avenir Québec (CAQ) 51%

Conservative Party of Quebec (PCQ) 34%
:ph34r: ?
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

Sheilbh

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 01, 2022, 12:34:19 PMWho do you vote for back home, S?
Labour or Green normally.

I live in one of the safest (Labour) seats in the country - last couple of elections they've been between 70-80% of the vote :lol: And I think I've always lived in fairly safe Labour seats so I've not had many times when I need to choose tactically or not protest vote if I'm annoyed at Labour.
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

:hug:

A genuine thank you from me. I understand how annoying this must be for you.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on September 01, 2022, 03:21:28 PM

:hug:

A genuine thank you from me. I understand how annoying this must be for you.

The problem is there are not enough people in the Conservative party who have BB's aversion to PP.  And I am very concerned about what is going to unfold if the election is fought between Trudeau and PP.  My hope is that someone Trudeau will listen to is having that conversation with him.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 01, 2022, 12:20:22 PMAccording to the tool I should vote Green party. I won't. I don't trust those assholes.

My GF summed up our household political position the other night. "In the words of Biz - "Libérez-nous des Libéraux""
Well, only 7% of francophones will vote for the Liberals.  I'd say we're pretty much freed of them ;)

It's pretty much the party of anglos now.

As for Québec Solidaire, I'd have to see Catherine Dorion staying and be defeated, but unfortunately she chosed to leave rather than that happening.  Wich means the party has, unfortunately, a chance of maintaining a foothold there.  Fucking commies.

I still don't see Duhaime getting elected in Chauveau despite the close polls (equality between the current CAQ MNA and him).  I still believe his polls are overvalue due to his solid media presence.  He's an excellent communicator and he's very apt at controlling his candidates' message now that the campaign has begun, unlike the ADQ of old. 

Not any of them wants to talk about covid or sanitary measures now, only his supporters do.

Typical Conservative rally:
Duhaime: This election in Saguenay will be a referendum on Liquefied Natural Gaz.  Voting for CAQ means no to economic development!
PCQ member interviewed by media: I'm not vaccinated, I'm totally against the sanitatory dictatorship.  I'm voting for Duhaime to preserve our freedom!
 :D

Ah, pour Duhaime. :)  He wanted the conspiracy nuts, now he gets them.  His opponents should really strike harder at him though, especially in Quebec city, remind everyone whom they're voting for by bringing back his past comments on muslims and the pandemic.

As a side not, this election has been marred by an increase in political violence.  One Liberal MNA has received serious death threats over the phone, another saw his office vandalized and computer material stolen after also receiving threats, a PCQ member was assaulted at knife point in a left-leaning riding while he was installing signs in the middle of night (not the safest activity in this Montreal neighbourhood at 3:00am...), a CAQ candidate received another threat in the form of his poster deformed like this with blood on it:
See in text (can't link the vids)

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 01, 2022, 05:15:33 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 01, 2022, 05:15:33 PMThe problem is there are not enough people in the Conservative party who have BB's aversion to PP.  And I am very concerned about what is going to unfold if the election is fought between Trudeau and PP.  My hope is that someone Trudeau will listen to is having that conversation with him.
The National Post is all aboard the PP bandwagon since the beginning.  I can understand the Charest loathing.  Not the PP support, though.

With that level of support, with the multiple calls of "Red Torys", it'll be pretty hard for any moderates to reintegrate the party after the leadership vote.  I am not optimistic about the future of the party either way.

Each side claims the other is a danger to the unity of the party.  And frankly, I think they are both right. :(

viper37

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 01, 2022, 12:29:40 PM:hmm:
QuoteQuébec solidaire (QS) 69%

Quebec Liberal Party (PLQ) 64%

Green Party of Quebec (PVQ) 61%

Parti Québécois (PQ) 61%

Coalition Avenir Québec (CAQ) 51%

Conservative Party of Quebec (PCQ) 34%
:ph34r: ?
Well, that's left leaning enough with a touch of centrist in you and maybe a moderate right wing streak to redeem yourself! :P

The Conservative Party of Quebec has evacuated all discourse about conspiracy theories and sanitary measures from public comments and its electoral platform now that the campaign has begun, has such the tool can't really take this into account, unfortunately.  Candidates simply refuse to answer such questions to journalists now.  Quite the contrasts to when they were first selected, when they couldn't shut up about the "sanitary tiranny".

Their leader is really an expert communicator and quite adept at playing the eternal victim.  Quite the narcissit too.  Try to imagine Donald Trump with a brain, knowing how to use it and having the good sense to recruit decent advisors. :ph34r:   

Lots of people on the far left think him stupid because he panders to conspiracy theorists and likes to espouse populist cause like islamophobia, but it's quite the opposite.  He's far more intelligent than someone like Pierre Poiliève or Maxime Bernier on the Federal level.