News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Interestingly, Chinese media reported the great news briefly and then all mentions of Meng's victory disappeard  :ph34r:

viper37

Quote from: ulmont on September 24, 2021, 08:08:55 PM
Quote from: viper37 on September 24, 2021, 07:55:33 PM
Meng Whanzou has been freed, the US dropped its extradition request against her.

Fate of 2 Michaels unknown, but officially, they are still in jail.

Nah, a deal's a deal.

"China frees 2 jailed Canadians after U.S. agrees to release Huawei executive."
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/24/world/canada/trudeau-china-huawei-meng-wanzhou.html
Good news! :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Annamie Paul resigns as Green Party leader saying she "just didn't have the heart" for the ongoing fighting with the party's governing counsel.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-annamie-paul-steps-down-as-federal-green-party-leader/
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

They are probably better off not being a federal party.  Their resources are probably better spent on the provincial level.

Oexmelin

Basically, it was everyone's fault, but Paul's. They just couldn't let her lead the party. :wacko:
Que le grand cric me croque !

crazy canuck

Quote from: Oexmelin on September 27, 2021, 04:03:36 PM
Basically, it was everyone's fault, but Paul's. They just couldn't let her lead the party. :wacko:

Yeah, it is apparent why the party had difficulty - hard to have a leader who makes it all about them.

viper37

they need a far left, anti-israel, border-line anti-semite leader to lead this party. then the members will be happy with their supreme leader.  After all, foreign & identity politics are much more important, for a "green party" than any kind of sensible, coherent ecologist vision.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josephus

Quote from: viper37 on September 27, 2021, 05:34:44 PM
they need a far left, anti-israel, border-line anti-semite leader to lead this party. then the members will be happy with their supreme leader.  After all, foreign & identity politics are much more important, for a "green party" than any kind of sensible, coherent ecologist vision.

The new BB might qualify.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on September 28, 2021, 05:56:25 AM
Quote from: viper37 on September 27, 2021, 05:34:44 PM

The new BB might qualify.

He ain't anti-Israel enough.  And the Green Party would never accept a former Conservative in their ranks, just as they shut the door on ex Bloc Québécois candidates.  Purity of essence & all that. ;)

Valmy

Once Israel is destroyed then finally...nothing much will be different. I don't know why people think this issue is so vital to anybody outside the levant.

I mean I have nothing but love for the Israelis and Palestinians and everybody else in that cursed part of the world and hope it all doesn't suck as much for them in the future but the extent that people wring their hands over this one tiny issue when the future of the human civilization is at stake in so many bigger issues never ceases to baffle me. I mean Global Climate Change alone will probably make the whole region uninhabitable alone, that strikes me as a more serious concern for the people of that region not to mention the rest of the world.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on September 28, 2021, 10:21:19 AM
Once Israel is destroyed then finally...nothing much will be different. I don't know why people think this issue is so vital to anybody outside the levant.

End times according to a lot of your religious right.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on September 28, 2021, 11:48:56 AM

End times according to a lot of your religious right.

And never forget good-ole anti-semitism on both the right and left.

viper37

I mean Global Climate Change alone will probably make the whole region uninhabitable alone,

so, the promised land will finally deliver?? :P

Barrister

So hospitalization and ICU rates continue to worsen in Alberta, though with maybe tentative signs that at least new infections has maybe peaked?  Unfortunately hospitalization rates (like, sadly, deaths) are lagging indicators.

A lot of pressure for a "firebreak" lockdown of probably 4 months.  Which I can see the logic of.  ICU rates are almost double the normal "max" capacity, which has led to a huge number of surgeries and other treatments being cancelled.  Lots of signs the hospitals are going to have to start triaging patients.

The response from Premier Kenney (*spit*) is that this is a crisis of the unvaccinated.  Which is true.  And the unvaccinated are the least likely to comply with any "lockdown" public health measures.  Which I can also see the logic of.  If you haven't gotten your vaccine by now you're really in an alternate reality.  And a "lockdown" has huge, massive downsides for everyone.

So I dunno what the right public policy measures here are.

Grey Fox

That's a good question.

The way Alberta's health system is set up, charge them an higher "fee" ?

Have a much wider & actually mandatory passport system and mandate masks in schools.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.