And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoupa

Quote from: Malthus on November 15, 2019, 09:25:41 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on November 14, 2019, 08:55:20 PM
Shitting on Francos : oh he's just kooky uncle Don. Don't take it personally! Look, he's also against people using bicycles. It's not personal guys!

Shitting on multiculturalism: we deeply apologize for Mr Cherry's awful remarks. We take this matter seriously. He has been fired.

Quebecers: sigh.

You are missing the "shitting on Francos years ago" versus "shitting on immigrants today" part. Thing is, that's the important part.

Says you. All I can see is the evidence.

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Zoupa

viper37

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Only in Canada!

Police investigate feces throwing incidents at two Toronto university libraries

Other, free-er link

According to a Reddit thread chronicling the York U case, it seems that an unidentified male suspect simply walked up to students while holding a bucket of waste, then "dumped it and ran away."

Based on video evidence of the aftermath, which was posted to the social media and discussion platform, students' laptops and other belongings were completely ruined. (Like, throw the entire desk and everything on it away without having to go within 10 feet of it levels of ruined.)
ewww.  :!:

PRC

"Social Conservatives" calling on Scheer to resign: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-social-conservative-groups-call-for-andrew-scheer-to-resign/

Mr. Scheer secured the leadership of the Conservative Party in part by winning the late-ballot support of party members who had initially supported more socially conservative candidates. Now, as he faces an April leadership vote and mounting pressure from the progressive wing of his party, it's unclear he will be able to again rely on support from the right wing of the party's base.

"A lot of social conservatives have no interest whatsoever in backing Andrew Scheer," ex-Conservative MP and defeated leadership candidate Brad Trost told The Globe and Mail. "We feel we are being made the whipping boy for his communications blunders."

Mr. Trost, along with the Campaign Life Coalition and evangelical Christian leader Charles McVety, all told The Globe the Conservatives need a new leader.
And the anti-abortion group, Right Now, which ranked Mr. Scheer as its second choice during the leadership race, said it is taking a "wait-and-see" approach before making its own decision.

saskganesh

That's his (socon) base. He's done then, if those leaders are representative of the rank and file.
humans were created in their own image

Oexmelin

He's also lost the support of the Quebec and Ontario Conservatives, who tend to be much less socially conservative. He's done.

As long as the Conservatives don't show the door to the anti-choice ideologues (or, as long as these people feel at home within that party), they'll lose in Quebec and Ontario. Otherwise, they either need some Harper-like strongman, or some adroit smooth talker to be all promise and no deliver.

At some point, they'll have to decide if that base is worth losing for.
Que le grand cric me croque !

viper37

It's unfair to ask the Cons to boot them out of the party when these people have been welcomed in other parties for years.  Only very recently have they been told they would be fired if they spoke publicly about their beliefs.

I still think it's a very bad idea to exclude these poeple from our political process entirely.

Barrister

Quote from: Oexmelin on November 27, 2019, 09:41:52 AM
He's also lost the support of the Quebec and Ontario Conservatives, who tend to be much less socially conservative. He's done.

As long as the Conservatives don't show the door to the anti-choice ideologues (or, as long as these people feel at home within that party), they'll lose in Quebec and Ontario. Otherwise, they either need some Harper-like strongman, or some adroit smooth talker to be all promise and no deliver.

At some point, they'll have to decide if that base is worth losing for.

The Conservative Party of Canada has a de facto pro choice policy position - we pass no law with respect to abortion.

Yet apparently that's not enough for some.  Not only must the Conservatives have a pro-choice policy, but politicians must profess openly their support for abortion.

Look, apparently in the most recent poll I could find (from 2017) 77% of Canadians believe abortion should be legal (although of that group about 50% believe it should be available anytime, while ~25% were open to some restrictions).  That left 12% opposed entirely, and 10% unsure.

You know when the party is polling in the low-30s, pushing 12% of Canadians out the door is a good way to political irrelevancy.

The Conservatives, and Scheer in particular, need a better way of communicating their position on this issue, which as I said is de facto pro-choice.  But they're doomed to perpetual opposition if they just try and position themselves as Liberals-lite, with nothing to differentiate themselves.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

For the QC conservatives, the religious motivation behind the policy is as much has important has the policy it self.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on November 27, 2019, 02:19:57 PM
The Conservatives, and Scheer in particular, need a better way of communicating their position on this issue, which as I said is de facto pro-choice.  But they're doomed to perpetual opposition if they just try and position themselves as Liberals-lite, with nothing to differentiate themselves.
This.

Scheer said the exact same thing that Justin Trudeau said 4 years ago.  The difference is, he didn't say it during the debate, only the morning after.  That made a huge difference.

Malthus

Well, it seems they caught the Toronto shit flinger the other day.

Merely being in Robarts Library was bad enough as a student. To risk having some crazy person toss a bucket of shit on you ...  :(
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

I just saw an anti-Scheer Facebook ad.

So someone out there is spending money to try and see him removed as leader.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.