And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on November 11, 2019, 04:57:50 PM
Be be fair he also shitted on Europeans, not just French Canadians lol

Damn Czechs out there...um...drinking Pilsner and stuff...ruining Hockey with their um...Czech things.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

He also shat on Torontonians ("buncha pinkos"), women, and people who rode bicycles.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

That and their effeminate nature, with their lack of wanting to be punched  in the face.

*edit* my comment works for both Malthus and Valmy :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on November 11, 2019, 05:09:16 PM
That and their effeminate nature, with their lack of wanting to be punched  in the face.

Few people who ride bicycles really relish a good face-punching, it is true.

Same goes for Torontonians and women.  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

Let's face it, almost everyone has suffered the wrath of Cherry.

I am glad to seem him go, his old tyme views of hockey have always held back modernizing discussion of the sports.

Sure, the NHL changes all the time but they are a 3 billion $ org. Youth hockey, beer-leagues, etc, so much of it was/is define by the Cherryiac view of Hockey.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on November 11, 2019, 03:44:26 PM
- Wears funny headgear that makes the likes of Viper crazy for some reason (sorry, Viper  :P )
Mischaracterization of our position, typical of English Canada.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

I did add Euros to the mix :)  But they're whites, those who play hockey, at least, so it doesn't count.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on November 11, 2019, 04:46:02 PM
I don't actually watch the guy (or sports for that matter  :P ), but I rather suspect the issue is that Don Cherry has played the loudmouthed right wing troll nutter for decades, but the tolerance for his sort of outbursts has decreased.
Europeans are generall referred to as "rats" (by Don Cherry), because, well, they don't play though and when they do, they apparently always strike from behind. 

That it is obviously false on any general scale (Canadians & Americans can make viscious hit, Canadians&Americans can be dirty, though, graciously or drag their feet as soon as they get a fat paycheck, just like any other professional sport player).
French Canadians are subhumans, because apparently, Quebecers are lazy hockey players and don't value toughness as much finesse plays, except Vincent Lecavalier who had a "lion's heart".  Since our teams operate with pretty similar rules to other Canadian junior hockey teams, it is, again, hard to put any credence to his ranting.

He is a damn good hockey analyst however.  I like watching him explain a play, what went good, what went wrong, how it should have been made, how exceptional this or that player was on a specific play. Honestly, these are the best hockey analysis I've ever seen in both our official languages - but granted, I wasn't hold enough to watch hockey night on Saturdays during the heydays of french commentators on Radio-Canada (French CBC).

That's a shame that he's such a racist.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on November 11, 2019, 05:09:06 PM

and people who rode bicycles.  :lol:
:thumbsup: :wub:

^_^ :D

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 11, 2019, 06:16:35 PM
Sure, the NHL changes all the time but they are a 3 billion $ org. Youth hockey, beer-leagues, etc, so much of it was/is define by the Cherryiac view of Hockey.
I'm not sure Cherry is the one holding people from changing their views.  More likely that his listeners agree with his views and then listen to him because of it.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on November 12, 2019, 02:28:12 PM
Quote from: Malthus on November 11, 2019, 03:44:26 PM
- Wears funny headgear that makes the likes of Viper crazy for some reason (sorry, Viper  :P )
Mischaracterization of our position, typical of English Canada.

I'm trolling you.  :secret:

:P

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on November 12, 2019, 02:41:29 PM
I'm not sure Cherry is the one holding people from changing their views.  More likely that his listeners agree with his views and then listen to him because of it.

My guess is that some simply find his angry ranting entertaining, like his taste is clothes.

That doesn't necessarily mean they secretly want to wear neon pinstriped suits themselves, or agree with his rants.

Oexmelin

Quote from: Malthus on November 12, 2019, 03:56:58 PMThat doesn't necessarily mean they secretly want to wear neon pinstriped suits themselves, or agree with his rants.

Sure.

But every equivalent in Quebec has the usual pundits take on their amateur sociologist costume to tell us how "revealing" it is that such racist-equivalent has a column/air time/recognition in French Canada. For Cherry, however, he's just some isolated troll who just happened to keep his high-profile job as hockey commentator (no doubt a marginal sport in Canada) despite 25 years of racist comments.

Que le grand cric me croque !

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on November 12, 2019, 03:56:58 PM
Quote from: viper37 on November 12, 2019, 02:41:29 PM

My guess is that some simply find his angry ranting entertaining, like his taste is clothes.

That doesn't necessarily mean they secretly want to wear neon pinstriped suits themselves, or agree with his rants.
well, I was stricly talking about his definition of good hockey.   I don't like fights in hockey, for example.  Or unnecessary roughness.  And I do prefer euro-style ice rinks, like the Olympics.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on November 13, 2019, 12:25:30 AM
well, I was stricly talking about his definition of good hockey.   I don't like fights in hockey, for example.  Or unnecessary roughness.  And I do prefer euro-style ice rinks, like the Olympics.

I don't like hockey fights (or rather, the part of me that does like hockey fights I'm kind of embarrassed about), and don't like needless roughness.

But Olympic sized ice is terrible.  The ice isn't any longer - just wider.  So any play along the boards just makes it even harder to score.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.