News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

On a different Canadian politics note. The other day I saw a the Province (our local tabloid) front page about the Harper government's new crime bill. It was complaining that (IIRC) they were introducing mandatory minimum sentencing, but couldn't find the money to fund a "victim and criminal healing process" or some such.

In other words, it seemed it was taking Harper to task for being too hard-line on crime.

I don't read the Province much (barely at all, beyond the front page walking through town) so that struck me as being a bit out of character. I had them pegged as being soft-right populists, more or less, but that doesn't match up.

Anyone know what's up with that?

viper37

Nice to see the Cons priority is the economy.  Tony Clement sure knows, but as for James Moore, I'm not so sure.
Now, it's gonna be illegal to prevent someone from displaying a Canada flag anywhere they want.  What's with individual freedom?  If the owner of a place doesn't want a flag, any flag, he'll be forced to let his tenants display a Canadian flag?

Silly laws.  Like the one where they will jail pot smokers like the Americans.  Good way to clutter the legal system with idiotic things.  We can barely punish and hold real criminals but now will jail people for 2 years if they don't want to see a flag on their private property.  Nice.   :shutup:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Jacob

:lol:

Really? A law that makes it illegal to prevent someone from displaying the Canadian flag?

That sounds pretty pointless.

Neil

Abortion warrior is going to go down in flames.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

crazy canuck

The crime bill being an amnibus bill has every interest group wanting more and claiming the other interest groups got too much.  Its a hard position for the NDP actually since the unionized guards rather like the fact the prisons they work in will be getting much needed renovations and modernization but the crime prevention folks (like front line social workers) think more should be done within their area.

The Conservatives ran on this as a central plank of their election plaform.  It would be pretty hard for them to not follow through with it.

Jacob

Yeah for sure, CC. My question is more about the positioning of the Province in the political landscape. I was surprised by seeing a "social worker" agenda on the front page, that's all.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on September 28, 2011, 05:27:36 PM
Yeah for sure, CC. My question is more about the positioning of the Province in the political landscape. I was surprised by seeing a "social worker" agenda on the front page, that's all.

Its hard to say.  Its all over the map these days.  Their main columnist has a real hate on for our current Premier but the editorial board has traditionally been right of centre.

PRC

The Province has a good sports section.  ;)

viper37

The party called me yesterday night.  I was proud to tell them I wouldn't contribute anymore to a political party dragging us back through time, in the age of Kings and Queens. :)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on September 28, 2011, 04:43:30 PM
:lol:

Really? A law that makes it illegal to prevent someone from displaying the Canadian flag?

That sounds pretty pointless.
http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1061399

Case #1 before the Supreme Court: English Montrealers suing the Quebec government for not displaying the Canadian flag everywhere.

Neil

Quote from: viper37 on September 28, 2011, 06:48:40 PM
The party called me yesterday night.  I was proud to tell them I wouldn't contribute anymore to a political party dragging us back through time, in the age of Kings and Queens. :)
I'm double-donating to cancel you out.  lulz.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

viper37

Neil

Grey Fox

Quote from: Neil on September 28, 2011, 07:44:58 PM
Quote from: viper37 on September 28, 2011, 06:48:40 PM
I'm double-donating to cancel you out.  lulz.

I don't think the Alberta arm  needed it while the Quebec arm probably does.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37