News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Martel so far is a one-book-wonder though (though I liked Beatrice & Virgil, no one else seemed to), so let's not compare him to Atwood/Richler et al who've got a shitload of books.
I've brought up Findley before. Anyone read him? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_Findley
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Malthus

Quote from: Josephus on July 29, 2011, 08:35:33 PM
Martel so far is a one-book-wonder though (though I liked Beatrice & Virgil, no one else seemed to), so let's not compare him to Atwood/Richler et al who've got a shitload of books.
I've brought up Findley before. Anyone read him? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_Findley

Yup, though not for ages. We read The Wars in HS.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Zoupa on July 29, 2011, 07:38:33 PM
I thought the category was most famous quebecois writer. Nobody's heard of Richler in Europe. He's mildly popular in anglo canada and maybe some parts of New England. Martell has sold millions.

To what extent is a guy born in Spain, lived all over the world, and educated in Ontario a specifically 'quebecois' writer? Certainly his writing isn't particularly Quebec-oriented.

Also, a one-book wonder so far. I wouldn't put him in the same category (yet) as Richler, Finlay, Ondaatje, Davis, Atwood, etc. all of whom are known for a body of work, not one best-seller. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Zoupa

Quote from: Malthus on July 30, 2011, 09:40:25 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on July 29, 2011, 07:38:33 PM
I thought the category was most famous quebecois writer. Nobody's heard of Richler in Europe. He's mildly popular in anglo canada and maybe some parts of New England. Martell has sold millions.

To what extent is a guy born in Spain, lived all over the world, and educated in Ontario a specifically 'quebecois' writer? Certainly his writing isn't particularly Quebec-oriented.

Also, a one-book wonder so far. I wouldn't put him in the same category (yet) as Richler, Finlay, Ondaatje, Davis, Atwood, etc. all of whom are known for a body of work, not one best-seller.

I didn't know all that. I just heard him talk with a pepper accent, saw his last name and assumed. Let's not get into an identity thread please...

My point is that Martell is better known internationally than Richler. That's all.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 22, 2011, 07:49:29 AM
Jack Layton's dead.

RIP.

:(

I knew he was deathly ill but it's hard to believe he went so fast.  :(

I was never a follower of NDP politics, but like most Canadians I had an enormous respect for Layton as a man and as a political leader.

RIP. He will be missed.

Valmy

Jack Layton's dead.

RIP.

Wow.  My condolences.

That sure came out of nowhere.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

Quote from: Malthus on August 22, 2011, 08:01:08 AM
I knew he was deathly ill but it's hard to believe he went so fast.  :(
No shit.

In the years to come, people will wonder how far the NDP might have gotten if Layton had lived.  Maybe some sort of conspiracy theory will spring up.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josephus

Life's a bitch. His biggest political victory ever...and then....wham!

As he said in his book Speaking Out Louder:

"Oftentimes, life's highs and lows are inextricably linked. That has certainly happened to me and, occasionally, the ups and downs were virtually simultaneous."
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Jack Layton's dead.

RIP.

Wow.  They never let on it was that serious.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Palisadoes

Grallon

Just learned about it... wow who would have thought.  Harper must be happy though.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Valmy

Quote from: Grallon on August 22, 2011, 09:13:09 AM
Harper must be happy though.

Probably not, unless he just hated the guy personally or something.  The NDP was a great way for the Conservatives to stay the largest party.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on August 22, 2011, 09:18:46 AM
Quote from: Grallon on August 22, 2011, 09:13:09 AM
Harper must be happy though.

Probably not, unless he just hated the guy personally or something.  The NDP was a great way for the Conservatives to stay the largest party.

Its Grallon.

crazy canuck

Sorry to see Jack go for a number of reasons.  He was a positive politician.  As everyone knows I didnt agree with his politics but I did respect the man.

I do shudder to think of who will take over the helm.