News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on June 19, 2024, 12:21:46 PMIf Vancouver was in that position, I'd begin to worry about riots...

I trust Edmonton is more chill than that?

So on the one hand, no - Edmonton is not more chill than that.  Check out the entry for 2006.  I lived in Alberta (if not Edmonton) at that time and remember hearing the stories about the craziness on Whyte Ave.

https://thehockeynews.com/news/heres-a-list-of-significant-hockey-riots-in-canada

On the other hand... 2006 (or 2011 in Vancouver) was now  a long time ago.  Maybe it's just a factor of changing times, but there's been no reporting of general mayhem and rooting so far.

Or - unlike in 2006 the Oilers have huge outdoor areas set up beside the arena for fans to come and celebrate.  It sounds like a fun scene - but you also have to get scanned before going in (so no weapons) and you have to pay full arena prices for booze (which limits the drunkeness to some extent).  Plus it puts all the hardest core fans in one area where police can keep a close eye on them.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Hoping it works out.

Not sure the impact of keeping all the hardest core fans in one area.

I was reading a couple of retrospective threads on the riots on reddit Vancouver recently, and it sounds like there was a significant influx of people from their homes into the downtown core as the game wound down who were explicitly looking forward to rioting.

Basically, while the anger and disappointment of the hard core fans no doubt helped create the conditions for the riot, I don't know if it's sufficient to control them to contain a riot kicking off. Maybe suburban shit-kickers bussing in have sufficient weight of their own, basically.

(Not to imply that the Edmonton police aren't on top of all these other things as well, of course)

In any case, hope it all goes smoothly however the games turn out.

Barrister

Game 6 is tonight.  Win or lose, the last game of the season in Edmonton.

People are pumped.  After going down 0-3 in the series there were some long faces, but after winning two in a row now victory seems quite possible - even if Florida still has the advantage.

Game is supposed to start at 6pm (puck drop is probably more like 6:25).  I have a rec league game at 9pm - we'll see how many guys make it out tonight... :unsure:

Barrister

Dammit - the Oilers are going to do it just to spite me, aren't they.

Not only are they going to win the Cup.

Not only are they going to be the first Canadian team to do so since 1991.

Not only are they going to be the first team to come back from a 3-0 series deficit since fucking 1942.

Ah well - at least my kids and wife will be happy.

And at least Paul Maurice won't win the Cup.

Valmy

Montreal won it in 1993.

Anyway Oilers haven't done it yet. Got to win in Florida.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

So it's gameday.

You have to hand it to the master schedulers at the NHL to arrange for game 7 in the Stanley Cup finals to be held on a Monday.

It also sounds like there will be a sizeable contingent of Edmonton fans down in Sunrise Florida tonight.  And this is despite the fact there are no direct Edmonton-Miami flights.  Now this was 10 years ago but the only time I've ever been to Miami (which itself was just a connection to get to Brazil) I think we had to drive to Calgary and connect through Dallas.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on June 24, 2024, 10:58:35 AMYou have to hand it to the master schedulers at the NHL to arrange for game 7 in the Stanley Cup finals to be held on a Monday.

Yes. A historic possible reverse sweep after going down 3-0. The first championship opportunity for Connor McDavid. Maybe the first time since 1993 the Stanley Cup goes to Canada.

Hope you don't need to work on Tuesday.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

HVC

Let's see who wins tonight, Edmonton or Bettman :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Josephus

Haven't been paying too much attention since the Leafs.

But I am cheering for Edmonton because it would suck now to lose after such a comeback
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on June 24, 2024, 03:11:09 PMHaven't been paying too much attention since the Leafs.

But I am cheering for Edmonton because it would suck now to lose after such a comeback

Or... it would be hilarious... :ph34r:

Just a feeling, but I think this game will not be particularly close - whichever way it goes.  Either Florida cruises to victory, or the Oilers do - that one side or the other just has nothing left to give anymore.

Barrister

I drove by the arena at 11:30 - there were already people lined up to get into the watch party.  for a 6pm game.  Being played in Florida.

Barrister

So I drove by the arena again at 3pm.

There's two separate viewing areas - one south of the arena, one east of the arena.  They open at 4 and 4:30 respectively.  Fans are lined up all the way around the block, looping back on themselves.  Thousands and thousands of people.

All for a game in Florida.

Edit:  Apparently Alanis Morissette is signing the anthem (not sure which, or if both).  Interesting choice - so many ways to go with it.  A Canadian singing plus all kinds of "isn't it ironic" jokes...  At least she's a hockey fan.

Valmy

If it was the Jets you would be there.

This is the biggest game for Edmonton since 2006. I would be there if I was an Oilers fan and I couldn't be in Florida.

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on June 24, 2024, 03:30:12 PM
Quote from: Josephus on June 24, 2024, 03:11:09 PMHaven't been paying too much attention since the Leafs.

Or... it would be hilarious... :ph34r:

Just a feeling, but I think this game will not be particularly close - whichever way it goes.  Either Florida cruises to victory, or the Oilers do - that one side or the other just has nothing left to give anymore.

:ph34r:

Your euro predictions are better 😁
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011