News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on January 23, 2013, 05:30:14 PM
As well as watching via rental. You can spend almost nothing to do it that way - plus make your own popcorn. :)

Heh true enough.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Sheilbh

I LOVE Last of the Mohicans (the music!), it is also, with Zulu, one of my mum's favourite ironing films.
Let's bomb Russia!

jimmy olsen

From what I read of that teaser that was screened at the Con, there was the body of another monster seen lying amidst the rubble, so I assume the movie will have monster fights. Godzilla will remain the bad guy however.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 23, 2013, 05:38:27 PM
I LOVE Last of the Mohicans (the music!), it is also, with Zulu, one of my mum's favourite ironing films.

An irony not lost on the colonials.   :blush:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Do Monster movies really need to much sense, let alone adher to some cannon ? 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

Quote from: mongers on January 23, 2013, 05:59:11 PM

Cannon makes them much better. Especially when the cannonballs simply bounce off the monster's hide.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: mongers on January 23, 2013, 05:59:11 PM

No.  Besides, it fits well the allegory of Godzilla as a nuclear weapon.  Japan was protected (and still is), protected from attack by American nuclear weapons.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

Quote from: Ideologue on January 23, 2013, 02:09:14 AM

Oh, but one question: [spoiler]OK, I understand why the Mohicans fled and left the white folks to the mercies of the Hurons--their guns were soaked and they would lose the fight and everybody would die, and they had plan, which--while very shitty--was the only one available to them.  But is there any actual reason why Cora, Major Duncan Lastname, and Ms. Not Appearing In This Film couldn't have just jumped into the waterfall too ?  Wouldn't it be better to keep running?  Instead, they surrender to the Hurons and largely experience bad outcomes as a result.  Do they not know how to swim?  Does the waterfall eat white people?  Were they tuckered?  Fuck's sakes.[/spoiler]?
1st, I don't think the 3hrs version exists anywhere.  The total footage for this film may be 3hrs, but it was never properly edited/mixed.

As to your question, well, duh, it's simple.
The girls are wearing dresses.  Trying to swim in that is asking to die.  The dress will get very heavy, very quickly and they will be sucked down the whirlpool.  The time it takes for them to remove the dress, the underdress, etc, Magua is there an he has slaughtered everyone.

Duncan presumably is not a good swimmer.  He's an infantry officer and he's a city boy.

And then you have very good swimmers raised in the wilderness who struggle to get ashore and need to help one another.  Try this with 6 people, you'll likely to get at least 1 or 2 drowned.

The choices are: 90% porpbably of death by drowning or take your chances with the Hurons who will bring you to their closest village.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 23, 2013, 05:38:27 PM
one of my mum's favourite ironing films.
what does that mean? I'm not familiar with that expression.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

It means a movie to watch while ironing clothes.

Darth Wagtaros

People actually iron clothes?
PDH!

Admiral Yi

Shelf's mom lives in a castle.  They do things differently.

katmai

News outlets are announcing that J.J. Abrams (Alias, Lost, Star Trek reboot) has been picked to direct next Star Wars flick by Disney
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Razgovory

Never did iron clothing before.  Did steal some though.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josephus

Quote from: katmai on January 24, 2013, 05:23:56 PM
News outlets are announcing that J.J. Abrams (Alias, Lost, Star Trek reboot) has been picked to direct next Star Wars flick by Disney

It's a good choice, I think.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011